Slickrock Campground - Easter

Pile of parts

Anybody else experience this? What's your feelings on it? Long story short, Made reservations for 3 sites 4 nights over Easter weekend at Slickrock Campground. Not my first choice but that's what was left. Not a bad campground but that's not the point of this post. Anyway, made the reservations probably 2.5 months in advance on line. I was given a price, paid the deposit and was given a confirmation with total left to be paid. When I went into the office to settle up, the total I was given didn't match my confirmation page I had printed off. They charged me $20 more ($5 a night extra/each site). I asked about this extra charge and they said, "It's Easter Weekend." To which I replied, "Yes, but I agreed to your price when I made my reservation and nowhere did it say there would be an extra charge." Bottom line, I was stuck. Where else could I go on Easter Weekend? I know it's only $5/night extra. But the point is, how do you give a price and then tack on extra money without being upfront about it? Like I said, I had a printed confirmation from the website showing my total. Just wanted to get some feedback and let the RME community know about the shady practices of Slickrock Campground.

OrvisKrawler

Captain Obvious
Ive had this same thing happen before, a few years ago at a hotel in moab, not a campground, habib wouldnt honor the online price after I had already paid money down on a reservation at that price, he said it was the busy season, even showed him the price it said online for the nights I had reserved, he didnt care, almost went to blows with him before my g/f at the time cooled me down, only it was a $15 a night difference not a $5 difference

wheelewagon

That sounds like A big screw up on there end and should have to honor that price. It's agreed on and in writing. I've looked into getting A place to stay down there way in advance to try and get A better rate, and normally what I've seen they have A rate of say $85.0 A night but you select the busy season dates and the rate changes. That should definitely should be them to byte the bullet on that one. That really sounds like A con trick to me. Kind of really makes me angry. I bet if you brought that up to the right people there could be some serious law suits or fines on them.

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
Legally they can't do that. That's akin to bait and switch. The problem is it would cost more to fight then what you will save. Let the BBB know and leave a negative comment on line. Alot of their business is on line reservations. If people see this and they do it to them. Thief business will fade and die.

Kirk

I really can't believe they wouldn't honor a printed confirmation receipt. I'm afraid I would have got pretty upset over that.

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode with the rental car: "I don't think you understand the purpose of a reservation"

LT.

My wife and I had something similar happen to us for Easter of 2009. We had called for reservations to the Inca Inn that was across from Denny's about 11 months in advance. We booked the room and paid the full amount at that time. (June of 2008 or so) A few months later we got a call from the Inca Inn and they informed us that we owed them money. I informed them that we had paid the full price up front and that we did not owe them a thing. The hotel told us that because it was for the Easter Jeep Safari we would have to pay more per night. Three times the amount we had already paid. I told them off in my best Drill Instructor voice and used tons of four letter words to explain how wrong they were. They told us that they would book the room at the price they were asking whether it was to us or someone else. Bottom line, we did not stay at their establishment.

It is to the point that I really hate Moab around Easter. That and a few other things have pissed me off so bad that I have not been back to Moab since 2011 and will not spend any money in their piss ant little town. I think they are mostly crooks and can't bring myself to spend any of my hard earned money there. Moab would cease to exist if it was not for the EJS and a hand full of other events that pass through. I will do my part to try and make that place dry up and blow away.

LT.

DerekM

formerly dirk124
This exact same thing happened to me this year over at Apache Motel! My wife was pissed when they charged us $20 extra per night. I didn't even think about it until after we checked out. They wouldn't refund us the money after they ran the card. Next time I will keep the confirmation and double check before they run my card.

I still like Moab though.

RogueJeepr

Here!
Ive herd of this from someone we met on the trail . That's F'd up . Ive never been to EJS . I hate crowds/zoo .

Maybe start a (PLACES TO AVOID IN MOAB AT EJS) thread . Could this be reported to the BBB ?

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
right now you can get a great deal at a hotel in Moab online that I have a feeling when easter next year comes around they are going to be doing this same thing.... Its going to be interesting to see what comes out...

Pile of parts

Yeah, I felt a little like I got the "Bait and Switch." After all, it was their website where I made the reservations. I'm no smarter than the next guy, so If I know when the holiday weekends are, they should too and should have adjusted the website rates accordingly. The $60.00 extra we paid is not worth the fight. It's more the principle. My only recourse is posting this, negative feedback on their website, a call to the BBB/Moab Chamber of Commerce, and not staying there again. I appreciate your comments - misery loves company.

Caleb

It actually is illegal to change e price once you've been given that quote. Not sure what you can do for a campground, but i know contractors will get their licenses yanked pretty dang quick if they try that crap. I've stayed there a few times and never had any problems, but this will make me second guess any future visits.

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
sorry to hear all the bad news. Here's one of the good guys, at least from my personal experience:

we had ZERO issues at Canyonlands Campground over this past EJS. when we went up to the office to give them the final head count for our tent site ($5/person over the 6 allowed i believe) they just said 'happy easter' and didnt want to charge us for the extra people even though thats what we went there to do. This was at least the 3rd or 4th time we have stayed there, and i'll gladly stay there again. plus, plenty of trailer parking, and were cool with dogs off-leash at the campsites.

Last edited:

LT.

I just read here somewhere that somone found killer deals for easter jeep safari for next year on hotels.com. That maybe but, if i was a betting man i would bet that the hotel pulls the same crap and jacks up the price due to the event. We went to hotels.com when we booked ours all those years ago. I just about refuse to go to moab and play their games. I have had some excellent experiences at the Pack Creek Campground. Never have they changed their rates on me, never have they charged me more due to an event. It is a small campground but, they have always been fair. Heck, they have even called me in the past and had my spot pre reserved before I had called them. Great folks there for sure.

LT.