snakes questions

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
The roads have been there for a long time. There are also lots of old mines in that area and those canyons were used to access the mines. The first person to 'wheel' the Snakes was probably in a old 1930's 2wd Ford or something... :rofl:

Sine then, lots of ATV's have been exploring that area, then eventually 4x4's started using the trail, etc.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Weeeelllll the relevant question is "Who founded the town of Sunshine??" whoever it was would have used those washes pretty early on...

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Rattlesnake had a road leading up to the Sunshine Mine (and other mines) likely since the mines were running, likely during the turn of the century when mining was at its hay day out there. It wasn't called Rattlesnake until ~6 years ago now when it started to become a popular hot spot for 4x4's, prior to that it was (and still is) heavily used by ATV's and bikes. Sunshine was a sizable mining town during that time, it was likely accessed by a mule a time or two :D

Contstrictor is a bit different. There was a road leading up to a small prospect ~1/2 up the canyon. The area was starting to get really heavy use in late 02 and early 03. During that same time frame an Isuzu Rodeo was literally jumped from the top of the canyon into Constrictor. We worked with the BLM to move it out of the canyon, that too helped get a "route" into the area. The first official complete run was in 2003, at that time we named the obstacles (Constrictor, Radiator Rapids, Eagles Nest, The Fang) and moved some stuff around to allow complete passage.

You can view a bit more here:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/landuse_03blm.html

In 2003 members of RME worked together to get some signs built and installed at the trail heads of both trails. Using materials and labor donated from RME'ers we got the deed done and for the most part they have held up great. The Constrictor sign was accidentally pulled out trying to right a rolled vehicle, its currently sitting in front of my house awaiting some paint and a re-plant.

More on the signs:
http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/landuse_rscon.html

I have a handful of pics from the first run but they are film and I'll have to scan them one of these days.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
i heard some of the first people to help clear the snakes in 03 are now baned from rme? is this true?

Oh, you mean Mark Cornaby? I think he gets banned regularly for stirring up sh!t. Same thing happened to him on Pirate. He seems to get his jollies off of posting wacky stuff on bulletin boards.

In real life, he's almost a decent guy, but online he's a dweeb.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
i heard some of the first people to help clear the snakes in 03 are now baned from rme? is this true?

:rofl: Sorta.

A gentleman that went by the username Demon Jeep was very involved in the naming of Rattlesnake, and even promoting its popularity in the early days. He was later banned (and banned and banned) from RME for seperate instances.

Another gentleman Brandon Gillen was very involved in our first runs of Constrictor, he was later banned for a totally unrelated circumstance.

Moderators will have to chime in on any other details if they wish, I was not privy to the behind the scenes information that lead to those dudes getting banned, just remember when it went down.