Snow Wheeling / Camping Areas

ozzy702

Growing up in CA we did at least one or two overnight snow wheeling trips a year up in the Sierras and I did the same when in Idaho. With winter quickly approaching I was thinking I need to get out this winter with some friends.

Where are a few good areas to snow wheel and camp here in Utah?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Any time now, a thread should appear in the 'upcoming trips' section for Freeze Your Tail Off MCMXXVIII (or whatever number they're up to this year). Will that satiate you?

DAA

Supporting Member
By January or Feb., dang near anywhere works for snow camping. Snow wheeling might take a little bit more effort (FYTO doesn't include any wheeling...), but still going to be everywhere.

IMG_1771.jpg

20130216_Newfs_ExpUT-132W.jpg

20131121_Henryqus_Camp-2W.jpg

20131121_Henryqus_Camp-6W.jpg

20131206_Poly%20Mesa_Camping-18W.jpg

IMG_6057.jpg

- DAA

R

rockdog

I just have to ask. Why would you leave a perfectly warm house to freeze in a tent? Hell, when the water gets solid. It's time to put the fishing a poles away!
( rubs hands together to warm them up!) Yup, yes sir ree, gonna go south for the winter when I retire! Like all the smart birds do!
Ok, I'll hobble down off my ancient soap box now. :)

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
...Hell, when the water gets solid. It's time to put the fishing a poles away!...

You've obviously never been ice fishing. Go once and you'll change that statement ;)

Winter wheeling in Moab is always an option. Nothing like sliding down obstacles like White Knuckle with snow and ice on the ground :eek:

R

rockdog

You've obviously never been ice fishing. Go once and you'll change that statement ;)

Winter wheeling in Moab is always an option. Nothing like sliding down obstacles like White Knuckle with snow and ice on the ground :eek:
Anything with ice in it other than a drink is just not right. I've been ice fishing. Hack a hole in water that given a little time will become liquid again? Nope, don't get that go out in the cold on purpose stuff? Lived here all my life. Spent more than half of those 57 years working out in the cold. Nope, not going out there to sleep in a tent!

DAA

Supporting Member
I just have to ask. Why would you leave a perfectly warm house to freeze in a tent?

I have no answer for that. I don't really even get cold in my tent, let alone freeze. Freezing in a tent would suck! I wouldn't do that. I'm not sure why anyone would do that...

- DAA

ozzy702

I have no answer for that. I don't really even get cold in my tent, let alone freeze. Freezing in a tent would suck! I wouldn't do that. I'm not sure why anyone would do that...

- DAA

I was so hot in my tent on my last campout at 20F that I had to sleep the entire night with my bag unzipped and open down to my waist. If you're prepared properly then you shouldn't be all that cold.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Camping in genera doesn't make much sense.

Let's spend a few hundred thousand dollars to get a house and then go sleep out on the ground. Great idea. :-(

Camping is for suckers.

R

rockdog

Camping in genera doesn't make much sense.

Let's spend a few hundred thousand dollars to get a house and then go sleep out on the ground. Great idea. :-(

Camping is for suckers.
Well camping should be done with the essentials. Then it makes sense. See picture of the bare essentials:D>

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 24

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
I love winter camping, a 20 degree bag with merino wool lining can be very cozy. Combine that with a Dreamtime XL pad and a cot and it doesn't get any better in a canvas tent.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Winter is my favorite camping season. The deep snow/snow wheeling trips were a lot of fun but I don't have a rig that's good for that anymore.. I like the west desert during winter because there typically isn't a lot of super deep impassible snow and I like the feeling of solitude.

Maybe I'm getting soft but nothing beats a freezing cold night with the thermostat set on 75º :cool:

DSC01992.jpg

Last edited: