So my family cabin burned down

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I imagine most of you on here are friends with me on FB and probably already know but for the few that arent i figured I would write a post

It burned in the Tokewanna fire last week. Its on the Utah/Wyoming border right by Meeks Cabin Dam. The cause of the fire is under investigation but it was started in our "subdivision"

A little history on it. My Grandparents bought the property 45 years ago and have slowly been building the cabin since. They were not builders. Had no clue what they were doing. They were also not rich. So 45 years later it was sort of liveable with a sink, shower, toilet, and electricity but was far from being done. Having been the case they could not secure home owners insurance on it.

My Grandparents are 82. They did a reverse mortage on their home so they could pay the taxes on the property and hope to work on things a little at a time. They sacrificed plenty to be able to keep the place. I started going up not long after birth and helped build the cabin. We peeled logs by hand, drove in thousands of spikes and made due with very little. I loved the place. It was home.

Im pretty broken up over this ordeal. Having no insurance means the cleanup is on our shoulders. We started last weekend and its devasting. Covered in ash head to toe. Luckily we were able to borrow a dump trailer and it looks like we get to use it again this weekend. I expect this to take the better part of the rest of the year.

BroncoMitch here on the board is of course my little brother and he is equally as devastated. He has been a huge help with everything as well

My Grandparents live up there in the summer ever since Grampa retired. So they had all of their personal belongings there. They lost everything. Wallets, cash, clothes, etc. They were evacuated and they didnt give my Grandma time to put shoes on. Grabbed the keys and the dog and left. Cabin was on fire 20 min later. Thank God for that fireman or they may not have gotten out.

Ive had a lot of people offer to come help clean. We will get to that point but right now we are keeping it family only as we sift through the ashes trying to find anything recognizable.

My Mom has started a gofundme to try to help us with the cleaning efforts.

Some of our short term goals are to obviously search the rubble, restore electrical and water, and we would really like to buy a cheap camp trailer to haul up for my Grandparents

Right now they insist on being there and they are sleeping in a tent. Mind you they are 82 years old and the fire is contained....but still burning. If you guys are able any size donation will help us get these goals.

Rebuilding is the last thing on anyones mind at this time. Maybe someday but we will see

Thanks everyone!

https://www.gofundme.com/2idcvas

I hate asking for money. Goes against every fiber of my being. I just dont know how else we will be able to accomplish these goals. I will be posting my little Scout II for sale and also my 08 KTM 300 soon to help pay for the costs and the camper. Post up if you may be interested in either

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Best of luck in the cleanup. I am willing to help when you're ready to solicit help with the cleanup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Wow, I can't imagine. That looks like it was a nice place. We were over by Stateline while that fire was burning, it had us a little concerned.

Post up when you're ready for a work party. I'll make it up if I can.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
shared on FB------I'm SURE we could scrounge up some labor and other resources to help with cleanup at the appropriate time. Let us know and we'll get a good group up there

Last edited:

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Did they not carry insurance on the cabin? This should be a no brainer pay out.. shouldn't it??

Super sucky to lose it either way :(

Best of luck to you.

ChestonScout

So since the cabin was not 100% finished, they were utah residents and the cabin was in wyoming, and the cabin wasnt exactly built to code, (Code and permits were not required 45 years ago) they were unable to get any type of insurance on it

This is just what Grandpa told me. I always planned on checking into it but waited too long

Caleb

Wow, so sorry man, but glad the grandparents are safe. As mentioned, please post up when you're ready for additional help. :(

ChestonScout

Little bit of an update.

My Grandpa passed away in January. I watched him declining fast after the fire. He went from loading 20' lengths of crumpled metal roof in the dump trailer to hardly being able to get up off the couch in 4 months. I know his heart was just broken.

But with the money we were able to raise we got them a older camper to take up. My Grandma is the strongest person i know. Even with her husband gone she has every intent of being up there all summer. So Saturday i hauled the camper up for her and got it set up.

I just wanted to thank all of you who donated and made this possible. We are all extremely grateful