So this happened on the way home from work today....

Troop92

Driving along I-215, was a fair distance behind a big Ford w/ trailer. Bump in the road and something materializes out of the bed/trailer and arcs toward me. :eek:

Yeah, it was a rock or chunk of concrete that was easily tennis ball sized or bigger. And here I am zooming toward it at 70mph. It was one of those moments of perfect clarity where all options are analyzed at once and a path decided before you can blink... My decision? Stomp on the gas, don't swerve since cars on either side. While I couldn't avoid it, I'd rather have it shatter my sunroof than go through my windshield and possibly hit me. After the hit, I tried to speed up to get a plate or see what other crap was in his bed/trailer, but doing so pulled the glass into the car via the sunroof cover vents...

Sunroof hit.....jpg

I pulled over and cleaned up as much as I could.... It struck on the front lower corner (front drivers side, right above my head) and spidered out from there. No body damage, thankfully. Glad it wasn't worse. Still, kinda sucks. Looks like Trooper will be my DD until I get this fixed.

Last edited:

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
That sucks, but like you said, it could've been much worse! Fortunately your quick thinking minimized the damage to your vehicle and yourself.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Those situations suck where you have no good options and just enough time to pick one. Glad you were able to avoid something even worse.

Troop92

It was crazy, the instant I saw it my mind went into this "well, let's review the options..." mode. Thankfully at 70mph on the freeway the turbo spools up quick and I could accelerate into it. Glad it turned out as it did. Now I get to do the insurance dance, $500 deductible here we come.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
It was crazy, the instant I saw it my mind went into this "well, let's review the options..." mode. Thankfully at 70mph on the freeway the turbo spools up quick and I could accelerate into it. Glad it turned out as it did. Now I get to do the insurance dance, $500 deductible here we come.

If you have State Farm you might have zero deductible on things like this, when I hit a deer in October we paid nothing out of pocket.

Troop92

Dang, that would be cool. We have Bear River, though a great company to work with. Falls under the $500 Comprehensive deductible, which is fine - it's going to be way more than that anyway, i think it bent a sunroof rail too....