Some questions and observations. Any answers?

Capt. Picky

quite
Although the die has already been cast, there are some other things to be thought about regardless of the ultimate outcome of things:

Whatever number of trails which will remain open for use, one should take utmost care to use them wisely and preserve them for the use of future generations. (sound familiar?)

Many will claim this place (wherever it may be) is beautiful; then treat it in a manner consistent with that which is beautiful. Refrain from sullying that beauty, otherwise one would be behaving in a hypocrytical manner.
If you don't give a darn about what it looks like and are "just there for a good time; not a long time", than be up-front enough to admit that. Please don't cower beneath the skirt of the "It's beautiful, and you're wanting to take that away from us, and lock us out of our trails".

Although this 4x4 forum - which while is fairly balanced in types of four wheeling 'supported' - is one which might have added appeal for RockCrawlers, one should remember that access to many Rockcrawling areas might possibly (likely) be accessed by any number of ordinary non-descript roads or trails. These trails are open for use by all means of conveyance. That includes ATV's, Motorcycles, bicycles, Horses, and who knows what else. My point is that unless *all* users exercise care, the future use of these roads and trails may be further curtailed. Therefore, it's incumbent upon all 4x4 enthusiasts to be alert to poor behavior by those who use all other means of accessing and using these trails, whatever their choice of conveyance or recreation. One should advise those who would be 'inconsiderate' as to the potential consequences for the entire enthusiast group as a whole, as well as the consequences for the perpetrator if and when reported and having conclusive incontrovertible evidence to back that up.

Now some food for thought. If someone can offer plausible explanations I'd be most appreciative to be enlightened about these things.

Why is it I see so many shortcuts on trails of the most benign and non-challenging nature at locations which have absolutely nothing to stop a rig with even 3" ground clearance?

Why is it I see shortcuts TO the shortcuts in the same said places?

Why is it that some would cry "You're taking away our trails. We have so few trails to use. Why are you denying the public access to these trails?"

Why is it that those who shortcut trails might also complain there aren't enough trails to do? (What I'm implying is that if something is fun and "so good", why would you want to rush it; to make it shorter? This might not be the exact proper forum for this, but WTH; these same people probably have never heard of, or enjoy "fore-play" either. :ugh: )

Why is it that those who would shortcut trails might be the very same ones to ask these aforementioned questions in a vociferous manner?

Why is it that if one is in a broad, sandy dry-washbottom of some 25 feet wide, one sees ATV and Motorcycle tracks (mostly) which weave from sideboard to sideboard, yet conversely, when in a narrow somewhat constricted washbottom of some 3 to 5 feet wide, the same said vehicles don't conform to the twists and bends of the washbottom, but rather try to continue in as straighforward a line as is possible?

Why are ATV's called all terrain vehicles when, if it get's a little bit tippy or bumpy (Fins and things for one such example) they need to find the least tippy bumpy section by riding on the side of a trail or making a new 'less spooky' (?) bypass?

Why is it that when on a trail of some considerable difficulty at either end of a given section of trail, one finds numerous bypasses which skirt some non-obstacle relative to those which had to be already encountered to get to the sections in question?

Why is it that when the RR4W (supported by the BLM) block some newly created bypass of *No Interest* (which isn't the actual criteria about bypasses anyway), one returns three days later and discovers that the blocked bypass now has a bypass circumventing the blocked bypass?

Why is it that some would ride on dirt and plants which had heretofore never been driven upon when a perfectly valid and viable route on slickrock exists and has always been existing right within one's view?

Why is it, as Cody has written in this forum, that someone would try to do a trail or obstacle which is beyond their ability and/or equipment; then do some other line (non-original) or create a 'new line' and then come back to town/bar/ campsite and say "I just did the Dump-Bump" (or whatever it may be)? Such was the case when the Dump-Bump had but one line - where the sandstone fin was obviously gouged by a piece of roadbuilding equipment, yet one discovered newly created lines/bypasses to the right and left of the actual obstacle. RR4W found that this route was no longer generally viable for most all of the vehicles of the day and eventually the route now officially recognized as the start of Hells Revenge (less the Creek crossing and Potato Salad Hill) was created to enable continued access to the Hells Revenge trail.

So, if you go to the "Dump-Bump" or wherever, do the actual line and route, or don't do it at all. Basically a case of the small pups wanting to run with the big-dogs and not being able to do so, but still wanting 'bragging rights'. -_-

Why is it that every time I take a trail of well established and marked routes around here in Moab, I am guaranteed to see some brand new route each and every time without fail?

Why do I see that the trails which are of established ease or difficulty are seemingly never satisfactory? That an obstacle that is exactly what it is is 'not tough enough'; and the non-obstacle is "too tough"?

Why is it that at the very onset of a given trail, I see a bypass at the very first "obstacle"? Do those who create that bypass believe it will be easier later on down the road? That this first encountered obstacle is the only one, and after that it's' clear-sailing' the entire way? (Poison Spider Mesa comes to mind)

This is but a partial list of questions and things which I find both baffling as well as troubling. Any answers to these and what can be done about them would be welcomed. I won't even get into Easter Jeep Safari Issues that I find equally puzzling and vexing.

Capt. Picky

UtahFire

Trails and Bypasses

You have raised some good questions. I think most on this board would agree that if you don't have the equipment to do the trail, you should find another trail that you can do. Or, if you have equipment that makes a trail too easy, don't find new "lines" to make it more interesting.

I'm not sure that there should'nt be a small use fee that would pay for more rangers to patrol the trails. In all my years going to Moab, I have only seen one ranger. I saw a post somewhere that said there were only 2 BLM rangers in the Moab area. That is insaine!

Cory

Capt. Picky,

You have some great and valid points I also generally like to read your posts; however, they all seem to be the length of Gone With the Wind :rofl: So even though I'm interested in your points, I sometimes give up reading before I get to the end of the post. I know I have a short attention span, but I think the size of your posts may scare off a lot of readers, especially some that really need the message.

Capt. Picky

quite
Greetings Cory -

I appreciate your input and observations. :)

How's this ? :
Stay on the trail.
That means precisely that. That means that there is nearly not one valid reason to go off the trail. Not for a breather; a group photo Op; to let someone pass; to grab a beverage; to chow down; to look at a vista; to chit-chat; to look cool; to neck and make-out; because you're late gettin' back home to the little lady; to catch the latest episode of some stupid-a$$ TV show; or to fix a rig. There may be instances where that is unavoidable. Then if at all possible, pull it up to the nearest expanse of available rock where you aren't blocking the trail or parking on some pothole or bush and work there.

Stay on the trail means Stay on the trail.
There's no science or slide-rule needed; it's pretty darned basic. ;)

------END--------

For those who have the time and desire, read on:

I can agree with what you say for the greater part. The fact is that I can only do it as I do. The greater fact is that whether it was concise and of 10 words, or as long as "Thus spake Zarathustra" (me) or "Atlas Shrugged" (them), those who need it most would fail to get the point regardless. :rolleyes: Education and comprehension are rarely achieved in a neat little package. As much as one would prefer to get the standard education or a PhD in 1 year or less, it just doesn't work that way.

If one needs a descriptive thesis on what and where a trail is, then for the benefit of ALL, one should take up some other more banally obvious activity such as playing Checkers. This way I won't be wasting the time of intelligent 4 wheelers and readers, as well as my own time trying to educate the uneducatable and wasting Bandwidth.

I've read posts here where the question was posed on how to efficiently achieve the desired results. Some have asked for easier ways to get people to remember these things. :rolleyes: "...Could someone create some 'user-cue card', to help them to remember what to do?"
That's absurd. Then you'd need to have a hint card to remind them where they stashed the blasted thing. -_- Anyway, nothing comes of those either, other than 'cute' acronyms, more garbage littering the trails and the like.

I don't see what the heck is so difficult about any of it. It's elementary, but for those who may need a reminder >>

STAY ON THE TRAIL!

For those that do need a constant EASY reminder:
Print the above to some card stock and tape it to the Instrument Panel (And D'OH!...don't block critical gauges... )

Capt. Picky

Cory said:
Capt. Picky,

You have some great and valid points I also generally like to read your posts; however, they all seem to be the length of Gone With the Wind :rofl: So even though I'm interested in your points, I sometimes give up reading before I get to the end of the post. I know I have a short attention span, but I think the size of your posts may scare off a lot of readers, especially some that really need the message.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Great words Capt. Picky, your raise some truly pondering questions.

By-passes & shortcuts have always perplexed me. When talking with the BLM last year regarding some local OHV areas, they say the number one complaint & problem they have with the said OHV areas, is trail weaving. Users connect ever single trail, with another trail... be it their intention or not. Their tracks set the precident for others to follow.

The debate between rockcrawlers vs. trail riders vs. camping rigs vs. etc... can go on and on forever but as you point out, they must realize the other users in the area.

Apathy... the number one problem our sport faces. Most don't seem to care, don't seem to want to get involved, don't want to donate money, don't want to donate time... until their favorite trail is is danger of closing, then they want in. We FAR outnumber the opponents, yet we are dominated by the involvment of their numbers. Truly sad... :(

Capt. Picky

quite
Greetings cruiseroutfit -

cruiseroutfit said:
...When talking with the BLM last year regarding some local OHV areas, they say the number one complaint & problem they have with the said OHV areas, is trail weaving. Users connect ever single trail, with another trail... be it their intention or not. Their tracks set the precident for others to follow.
Yep. I'll take that a step further and state that although the text seems to indicate a lack of complaints/problems (?) regarding everyday backcountry trails versus "OHV areas", That's what I see in unbelievable numbers. The Trail weaving/ "Y" trail junctions turned into ever enlarging triangular junctions; shortcuts out of a dry-wash bypassing the established route and creating a new one atop some miniscule sand/vegatation hill.... and so forth and so on.
(Example: Sevenmile Rim trail/ "Monitor Merrimac" Bike trail, in the vicinity of Tusher Wash). #&%*@%$ Annoying!
The debate between rockcrawlers vs. trail riders vs. camping rigs vs. etc... can go on and on forever but as you point out, they must realize the other users in the area.
With considerate use, debate, if any, could possibly be at the absolute unavoidable minimum, and probably more of a social issue, IMHO. I'm viewing this in the ideal: One person tries their best to defer to the other. Idealistic...yes. Unlikely...yes.
Apathy... the number one problem our sport faces. Most don't seem to care, don't seem to want to get involved, don't want to donate money, don't want to donate time... until their favorite trail is is danger of closing, then they want in.
I quite agree with that premise. However, while it does seem that the 'squeaky wheel gets the grease', there have been numerous instances where the opposite occurs, but usually from silent, yet powerful individuals or groups which have a special self-serving agenda. Too vast and touchy an area for the confines of this forum, so I won't go there.

But anyway, the lack of effective results may in fact be due to precisely that which you stated.... Apathy.

As a far-fetched instance I submit:
Johnny so and so can't eat any food which has peanuts or peanut derivatives in it. Mother does not tell Johnny, "Be sure to ask if peanuts are used blah-blah in the food. Remember what happened to you when you ain't the peanut butter corndog Johnny?" (Yuck)

But noooo... what happens is that all children are denied such foodstuffs because of a handful of allergic youngsters. Of course in a litigious society such as the one in which we live, the issue is made even more complex than what it should really be.

Bottom line for me is that one should accept the responsibility associated with one's own fortes and foibles, and not make the entire bulk of society pay for those. Those with children who can eat such foodstuffs w/o ill-effect should speak up.
(I'm not condoning or supporting any such items cited; just trying to give a 'neutral example'. I mean that everyone eats food, and probably most couples have borne children . :D )
Doesn't seem to be happening there either. :-\
We FAR outnumber the opponents, yet we are dominated by the involvment of their numbers. Truly sad... :(
OK...returning back to Earth :rofl: ... I'm not sure if 'our' numbers exceed those of the 'Tennis/Golf/Soccer Mom/Ballet/National Geographic/Discovery Channel/Figure Skating/PBS/blahdy-blah et al' groups, and in fact I have my doubts about that.
But, if so, then a show of support and *rational* speaking out with sound facts and bases of support would appear to be the order of the day. Likewise, we should examine our own ranks and actually get some idea of the number of 'like-minded enthusiasts', who *care for the entire picture*, versus those 'nil-minded enthusiasts' within our ranks who care only for themselves, and haven't the vision to look as far away as next month, forget about 2, 3, or 10 years hence.

As I see it, this too is a form of apathy; with allies and associates such as many (too many) which I've seen, one has no need of adversaries. We are effectively sabotaging ourselves. It's not my intention to be divisive; I'm stating it as I see it based upon the results observed out on the trails. The ever increasing pressures based on observations made by environmental groups - in which I'm fairly confident in saying they are not going out there and doing this damage themselves - and the results are not a sleight-of-hand. Somebody IS doing it, and it's something to be reckoned with whether we like it or not.

------END... customary rant--------- :eek:

Capt. Picky

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
Capt. Picky, I would have to say that I agree 100% with your statements, and I have no doubt that you are entirely familiar with the issues and fact surrounding land use issues.

Having said that, I don't think that a forum; of mostly educated users, is a place where reiterating the "stay on the trails" bit is going to make much difference. I believe that the areas we need to focus on are new users, be it ATV, 4X4, motorcycle, ect... I think that our situation is somewhat similar to the personal watercraft vs. recreational boat arguement. That discussion was about the realativily easy, and cheap, personal watercraft and the inexperienced users causing problems on the lake. The solution was to require saftey classes for youth and highly recommended for all new watersport users.

I think that something similar would work VERY effectively in our area. Finding ways to educate new users is the best way to avoid current and future land use issues. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this forum early in my 4wheeling experience, and would like to think that it has helped educate me as to proper trail usage.

Capt. Picky

quite
Hi -
lenny said:
Capt. Picky, I would have to say that I agree 100% with your statements, and I have no doubt that you are entirely familiar with the issues and fact surrounding land use issues.
Thanks. :)

Having said that, I don't think that a forum; of mostly educated users, is a place where reiterating the "stay on the trails" bit is going to make much difference.
I have no way of evaluating the level of education of the entire body of Membership here. I can say that an ounce or pould of prevention and education is worth a ton of cure however. I have read a good number of posts here and have seen and answered to a number of seemingly naïve and quite inexperienced posters.

The Stay on the Trails bit was to assuage the sensibilities and specifically address the request and need of those who don't have the attention-span to read my mega-posts.

I believe that the areas we need to focus on are new users, be it ATV, 4X4, motorcycle, ect...
I inquire of you respectfully: This forum hasn't a newbies topic area? Are you suggesting that all who've posted and become members here have your experience and foresight?

...I think that our situation is somewhat similar to the personal watercraft vs. recreational boat arguement. That discussion was about the realativily easy, and cheap, personal watercraft and the inexperienced users causing problems on the lake. The solution was to require saftey classes for youth and highly recommended for all new watersport users.
Similar but different and not mutually exclusive from the 4x4 community regardless of vehicle or watercraft cost and ease of ownership.
I submit, Houseboat owners/ expensive watercraft (yachts... cruisers) haven't ever jettisoned bilge or refuse from their pricey crafts at any number of bodies of water? None have PWC's in tow? None but well-heeled and highly educated persons have purchased expensive watercraft or 4x4's. I think not.

Those who have spent thousands upon thousands of dollars on very built machines haven't been part of the "trail/ enviroment" damage that happens? I don't buy that for a moment. It is contrary to my *observations*

I think that something similar would work VERY effectively in our area. Finding ways to educate new users is the best way to avoid current and future land use issues. I was fortunate enough to stumble upon this forum early in my 4wheeling experience, and would like to think that it has helped educate me as to proper trail usage.
Yes. But I've also observed and addressed in person/ confronted in person the "good 'ol boys" down here too, who still believe that this area is like it was back in the 50's and 60's where no-one came here who cares (and "you, the 'foreigner' have no business telling them what to do")
The above would also apply to "old salts" who've been "doing this sport before I was born" (1951). It's a different time now, and that which was permitted, done and allowed to be done because no-one cared/ no-one saw/ no-one had to address, no longer holds water at this point in time.

Short version... just because you used to be able to do that and get away with it back then, doesn't mean you can do it now. There are many *non-Newbies*, who still have some very peculiar ideas as to outdoor ethics as applies to NOW.

I also wish I could locate the link in this very forum where someone asked how to remember what to do, and a whole bunch of cute acronyms were tossed about. I guess that speaks volumes about the readers or experience of the entire body (? doubt that) of members here. If someone knows the post / thread to what I'm referring to, I'd appreciate the link.

Nevertheless... it still applies and needs not a cute cue-card:
Stay on the Trail.

Respectfully,
Capt. Picky

lenny

formerly known as PokeyYJ
I agree that there are some very real issues that surround the users of the trails. Perhaps I have not been around the hobby long enough to understand the entire spectrum of users, I am still a newbie at four wheeling as far as I am concerned. But I still think that the majority of damage comes from new, uneducated users. I often go out wheeling with people that are entirely new to the hobby, and the common perception is that they can do pretty much what they please. Only through corrective suggestions does their attitude change.

Please do not think that I am trying to hamper any efforts to keep the trails open, by all means, if you see someone doing something they shouldn't on the trail SAY SOMETHING. I agree that the good ol days of unseen, unheard, ideals is over, and it is only going to get harder to keep trails open. Unless we stop fighting amoungst ourselves. I firmly believe that our greatest enemy is ourselves, not some group of environmentalists.

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
Sitting back on the sidelines for the last few days reading the various posts of this tread, It is appearing to look like similar issues that the skiers vs. snowboarders have . They love the same sport, use similar equipment and use the same real estate, but have very different views on usage. One side ('boarders) sees no harm in not "staying on the trail", knowingly aggravating the slower (and sometime older) skiers. Etc., etc., etc. This will be a long and arduous dilemma. The “bumpwimps” as well as the hardcore I'll-just-use this-side-of-the-trail-'cause-it's-a lot-harder idiots probably will never *get it* unless there is constant supervision. When the cat's away, the mice will play. If there were +official+ personnel at every corner, those that cause the most grief would more than likely have to behave or go somewhere else where there are no "police" so they can act like Neanderthals or some other subculture element that they are. They do not see the real beauty of Moab, only the technical aspects it has to offer. Like so many that come here (tourists and the user-ists), after a few hours of entertainment, they can't wait to get back to their motel/campground. They came, they looked, they used, they abused, and leave. And when it gets all used up, they'll find some other playground to begin the relentless decaying process all over again. The best we can hope for is peer pressure education. Not “The Man” with the badge & gun. Not the rules and regulations. Not the “Keep On The Trail” signs, or any other signs for that matter. Simple peer “pressure” from the MAJORITY of the trail users. However, not all of us are equipped to deal with on-the-spot circumstances, but we can take down information (vehicle description, lic.#, pictures, and other pertinent information) and relay that to the appropriate agency. Simple as that. (I'm beginning to realize how much this could sound like a eco-nazi post to those with subscribe to that mentality) How many times have we seen reckless behavior, only to get back to town and complain how some dipstick did this and did that. We can’t let the MINORITY act like the MAJORITY. We have to get involved and be part of the solution. This is our main defense. We have to get our own house in order, or else others (and we all know who that is) will do it for us.

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
"Why is it that every time I take a trail of well established and marked routes around here in Moab, I am guaranteed to see some brand new route each and every time without fail?"

This is probably my biggest issue. I constantly see new routes, every time I go out. The one that most pissed me off recently was the new route up the waterfall on Poison Spider Mesa.

The other thing that really pisses me off is the profusion of bicycle tracks off the established routes. I cant stop & get out anywhere any more without seeing dozens of bicycle tracks crisscrossing all over the countryside.

I suspect that things will get worse before getting any better. But I constantly try to educate those I witness doing wrong in the backcountry.

One thing that I think might help is educational information placed on the tables at local eating establishments. I know of a couple that have this type of information concerning fire in the backcountry. I believe it is an effective medium to educate those who are in need if education. I'd be willing to provide some assistance in an endeavor like this. I know that the local chamber of commerce has recently begun providing free brochures with some of this info, but I believe it needs to go much further than that.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Couple ideas here:

The reason people go off trail (look at that rock! I can climb that!) is because this sport is fun. And because there is a lot of freedom in it. I happen to be one of these freedom lovers. I like going where I want, when I want, and I'll be damned if Joe Law tells me otherwise!! Let me qualify that last statement with this: There are so many trails I haven't been on, I am not really interested in creating new routes. One thing that just pisses me off is when a trail that I have done regularly in the past gets closed. Pittsburg Lake in American Fork Canyon is one.....Salt Creek is another. On the other hand, in an area like 5 Mile Pass which is so close to home for most of us RME'ers, I am constantly wondering "where does this ravine go? Does it have any good ledges? I wonder if we could build a trail in it? How can we do it?" We desperately need a real recreation area near SLC to serve the larger population here. 5MP in my opinion is the place to build it. I've typed about that idea on here before so enough for now.

I wonder if it is time to start guardrailing some areas of abuse? I know of some trails in Colorado that have pipe in rocks with cable guardrails to keep vehicles within certain bounds. It is left unpainted and rusty and blends in really well...you would really have to be an asshole to purposely cut something like that down that serves a legitimate, thoughtful purpose. Consider the switchbacks on the way to Poison Spider Mesa. The switchbacks have been shortcutted because the road wasn't challenging enough (???). A guardrail could be put across these areas. Same thing goes for the alternates on the Rock Pile and Rocker Knocker. A nice sign that says "the trail is over there >>>>. If you can't make it, winch or turn back. Don't create bypasses!" I have been an advocate for pungee sticks (sharpened rebar) planted in bypass areas to "learn these bypassers a lesson" for some time...although it would really do no good. As Capt. Crunch errr, Picky says, the first 5 people are the guilty ones in regards to creating new bypasses. Once the new route is created the damage is done and further travel is irrelevant. However, contrary to waht SUWA says, there is NO such thing as "permanent damage". Mother Nature is remakably forgiving, especially with our help.

See, 'ol EZ can rant too! Not just the dear Capt.! :)

EZ

Capt. Picky

quite
Hi.
Rick B posted:
...One thing that I think might help is educational information placed on the tables at local eating establishments.
I'm certainly not against such an idea and would equally hope that it would help. Now, the only 'trick' would be to get the prospective careless or naïve visitor/diner to read the thing, rather than using it for a coaster for their glass of Beer or Kool-Aid. :rolleyes:

This is one which is supplied in a 'CD-Like' clear case containing ~18 double-sided info cards. Some establisments may have these available here and there.
http://img250.echo.cx/img250/7537/carefulplease7xm.jpg

I believe they may be obtained from the U.S. Geological Survey at:
(435) 719-2347 or (435) 719-2331

As far as the tracks everywhere comment which you've made, I am in full agreement with your assessment of the situation. :mad:

Capt. Picky