Somebody please kick me

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
I was too stupid to replace the clutch in my Chevy 350 when I put it my jeep. When I started my jeep and it rattled like a mother. So now I have to pull the tranny again and put in a clutch. Luckly Six States has a sale on a clutch they make for UPS trucks that is heavy duty and the diaphram stlye for only $99.00. My be someday I'll learn.
Dan

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Consider yourself kicked. There are certain rules of thumb that exist, one of them is, If you pull the trany or motor, you replace the clutch.
In the offroad world, you burn through the clutches.

Lesson Learned.

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Wrong! Shawn if you really want to kick some ass you would put in an automatic behind that built 350 of yours. But thats just my experience. :D

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by Andy
Wrong! Shawn if you really want to kick some ass you would put in an automatic behind that built 350 of yours. But thats just my experience. :D

Whatever.

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
There is a time in everybodies life when they have to chose between a manual and an automatic. It seems to me that mostly older people are using the auto and that might be because they get tired of the shifting. Now I know there are many advantages to an auto in a 4x4 and I don't want this to become an argument about age, but the one thing that stands out in my mind is that you don't see too many 25 year old automatics that have not been rebuilt at least once. The durability of a manual and the low cost to rebuild or maintain, for me, far out ways the other qualities of an auto. So putting in a SM465 instead of a turbo 400 was a simple question. I didn't want to have to deal with the cooler, the torque converter, shift linkage, or any other thing that has to do with auto's. Besides when you have a low enough crawl ratio with a manual you should not have to shift when wheelin'. So let's not hurt anyones feels with which one is better and just side with me

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
in my experience you only burn through clutches if you have inadequete gearing that requires you to slip the clutch to get by. but my experience is with mostly small output vehicles. i am a fan of deep gearing and removing your foot from the clutch pedal. i know there are various factors such as high horsepower that eat up clutches but i like having my stick in my zuk, wouldn't trade it for nothin;) now if you wanna talk about obvious advantages, i dont have power steering............i need to get it !!