Something to consider

Capt. Picky

quite
Greetings to all forum members and readers.

As you may well know, I have composed and written a number of posts to this forum as well as others wherein I state *my opinion*. Opinions are like 'body parts'; we all have them, and depending on which one is chosen as an example, they may possibly stink. :D

However, it is my opinion that the bit of thought raised by Bill Burke was worthy of reading and review. For those with any concern of Land-Use and the ultimate place in which we *all* might one day find ourselves, I have obtained permission from Bill to post his well thought out composition here.
<paste>
1 April 2005

After visiting EJS 2005 - my thoughts!!

I am displeased, disgusted, angry and afraid!! Why? I just returned from the Moab area after two weeks 'wheeling around and spending time with new and old friends and my family. I spent some time on the hard as well as the easy routes and what I saw (witnessed actually is the term) incited me to come up with the adjectives I started this diatribe with and believe me I toned the adjectives down!

I have been guiding/training in and around Moab for about 18 years and have attended as many Easter Jeep Safari events. I have attended many national and international events and have been lucky to 'wheel in some of the most pristine world class areas as well as some garbage dumps! What I saw this last week really sickened me and makes me wonder why I continue to be aligned with this sport and the people that purport to really care where and how they drive on designated 4-wheel drive routes in public access areas. I am not talking about the OHV parks or the Rock Crawling events on private lands, I am expressing this disdain about the "guests" that are invited to 'wheel in my back yard where I work, live and play. They basically left the toilet full of effluence, no toilet paper, the sink full of dirty dishes and soiled my finest linen - that is how I see it. Here is how I actually saw it!

Displeased! Following "rock crawling" type built rigs along Pritchett Canyon, these overly built rigs couldn't make the rock pile so they drove into the wash and the illegal by-pass made by other weak-kneed wannabees that can build a rig but not drive on a difficult obstacle. HEY! You made the choice and selected the VDL hard core route, deal with the obstacles. Take a strap or use the winch, but stay true to the route. If you can't do the original route don't drive up Pritchett! Better yet stay home on the porch 'cause you may have a "big dog" rig but you are certainly not up to the "big dog" task!

Disgusted! Driving along the route called Metal Masher, my son and I observed where there used to be an obstacle that was (still is) quite challenging -- a large slick rock face steep and tall. It was obviously not enough for the "rock rig wannabees" since they had to move over foot by foot to assault the entire ledge for the next 25 yards sideways. The big moment of disgust was when I saw that the Juniper trees (maybe as old as 125 years) that happened to be in the way were crushed and broken in pure indolence and with complete disregard to the natural habitat of the revered old flora. Just wasted the two trees 'cause they couldn't hurt the tube frame and already dented body panels. Ammunition for the SUWA folks!

Angry! To put it mildly! I was with clients along the routes of Gold Bar Rim, Bull and Little canyons and we stopped repeatedly to pick up trash along the miles of routes we ran that day. We picked up 53 beer cans, 14 plastic drink bottles, cardboard beer cases, a cooler top, and 2 tee-shirts, among other items. We buried 4 piles of human effluence and exposed toilet paper and tried to smooth over 5 different impact areas where vehicles had driven over prime Crytobiotic forests leaving tire prints and destruction for really no reason at all other than to "rip it up!" This was only on one of the many days that followed. There is no excuse for that type of wanton destruction, especially since there is so much information in the public arena about the fragile Crytobiotic soil: DON'T BUST THE CRUST! It is everywhere, just like the plentiful information about HYDRATE OR DIE! Do these people drain the oil on their living room rugs? Do these people even care about ethics?

Afraid! Yes, I am afraid that these people have reinforced the already bad image the general public has about 4-wheelers. So now I have to hang my head down in shame when I visit the local business people in Moab because of the stigma attached to what a few (not as few as one would think) bad apples have done to the desert roads. It just gives groups like SUWA, Sierra Club, the BLM and USFS more ammunition for road closure and to establish more Wilderness Study areas. Because, if those that use it don't care enough and continue to abuse it, the privilege to recreate on primitive roads in pristine back-country regions will be easier to close and certainly easier to legislate Fee areas and restrictive access. We might as well as start building private OHV parks like the East Coast regions have to do. Or do we restrict the buggy types to only OHV parks and enforce lift, bumper height and tire diameter laws. Or do we close "it" all and just stand against the fence and sigh away the hours?

So, yes, I am afraid! Because these uncaring individuals that actually make up a large group are threatening my livelihood, recreation and environment. We should all be afraid what these people represent. I am sure SUWA loves it.
</paste>
Source page:
http://www.jeepaholics.com/support/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38782
Bill Burkes Website and info:
http://www.bb4wa.com/default.html
http://www.bb4wa.com/bill/bill.htm

I thank Bill for the permission to post his comment in this Forum, and I thank all of you who've come so far as to have reached the bottom of this post. I hope you'll take some time to think about all of this. ;)

Regards,
Capt. Picky

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I read it on the Pirate board. The coments by the members over there attacking the guy are scary. Camo calling the guy an econazi makes it seem like he approves of the trashing of Moab. I am also afraid that if people don't clean up their act opportunities to experience the area with out hiking will disappear fast. The trails have changed so much in the last ten years it is not even debatable that we are having a negative impact on the land.

Klif01

Do I bother you?
On the issue of illegal bypasses, how are people supposed to know that a bypass is illegal? Like the rockpile on pritchet, there isn't any markings, for someone who has never done the trail, or isn't informed about the bypass, they are in the wrong, but they didn't know. I have been flamed for being on bypasses, I made a mistake, and didn't know that it was wrong to be on it, and I am sure that many other people are not aware they shouldn't be on it, and if they knew better, they wouldn't!

I think more needs to be done rather than everyone getting on their soapbox to preach about how were doing crappy.

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Klif01 said:
On the issue of illegal bypasses, how are people supposed to know that a bypass is illegal? Like the rockpile on pritchet, there isn't any markings, for someone who has never done the trail, or isn't informed about the bypass, they are in the wrong, but they didn't know. I have been flamed for being on bypasses, I made a mistake, and didn't know that it was wrong to be on it, and I am sure that many other people are not aware they shouldn't be on it, and if they knew better, they wouldn't!

I think more needs to be done rather than everyone getting on their soapbox to preach about how were doing crappy.

That is a good question and I wish someone would have an answer for you. There has been a lot of posting on RME about how pritchet really does not have legal bypasses (or constrictor for that matter) but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you never read them. Pritchet is an ususuall case in that I believe the bypasses were not created as easy ways around the obsticles but as chalenge routes. In the late 90s I witnessed a unimog drive the Rocker Knocker bypass which at the time could never be considered easier than the legal obstical. It did not appear to me that it was regularlly if ever driven at the time. I have never witnessed anyone take the rockpile bypass but It seems like it also would have originally been harder than the rockpile.

Capt. Picky

quite
Bobdog -

While not my desire to alienate or presume anyone to be one way or the other - as I don't wish to be viewed as a yeahoo by some onlooker who doesn't know me from Adam and bases that assumption upon having viewed obviously poor judgment and behavior conducted by non-caring 4-wheelers, the Pirate4x4 forum is reputed to be exceedingly hard-core.

As for Camo... I don't know him... and in fact, do not frequent the Pirate4x4 forum with any regularity and have not seen the post or topic in that forum. I could seek it out I suppose. You could also supply a link for those who wish to see it in its original context.

As for the heart of the issue, it speaks for itself and can be seen by anyone possessing a pair of eyes which haven't been affected by an acute case of Myopia. It is not merely the trails which have become affected, but also the areas chosen to camp and 'round up the wagons'. This results from the general 'social/party' nature of humanity and the need to camp right next to their friends, thereby making all sorts of connecting parking areas in campsites throughout the area; Now just a camping place of flour-fine powder dirt which is <sarcasm> so enjoyable </sarcasm>. Trees and the few remaining bushes which are left isolated and discontiguous from each other stand litle chance of surviving the traffic. Of course when it's 110 º F here in mid-summer, who the heck will want to camp there with no shade? They'll just move on to some other area and do the same exact thing...

Additionally, I see quite a number of "group outing with the rigs at 'blah-blah'" photos, where *All* have left the trail, venturing proudly onto blackbrush, sage, ricegrass, etc., to capture the "what we did on our trip/vacation" on celluloid or binary digits. In the attempt to become famous for 15 minutes (not enough time.... too many people.... wait in line and be satisfied with 5 minutes 'fame') everyone is doing just that. How unique and original. :rolleyes:

I'm pleased that you for one, have the foresight to see the potential long term problem and the possible consequences which stares us full in the face. ;)

Kind regards,
Capt. Picky

utahmike

Lobbyist \ Consultant
I sent this in reply to Bill's letter some weeks ago.

Bill,

While I stand by our decision to boycott truly "anti-access" businesses, your email was moving and we agree with you on almost every point. I very much appreciated your observations and conclusions. I share in your frustration. The unacceptable behavior that you describe makes my job infinitely more difficult. We are in the process of applying for grants that will allow us to go into schools, colleges and public buildings and put on a presentation about environmental ethics. The study of environmental ethics has been a major focus in my college degree. And really the basic ethics you refer to boil down to good ol' common sense. Although I am somewhat of a cynic I am still surprised at the lack of good judgment and reasoning in people's decisions. Your frustration, and observations are right on and this is clearly a problem that we must address and overcome. It truly sickens me. I can't tell you how many mtgs I have with land mangers, and the constant rebuttal to environmental propaganda. I am constantly defending our community and, to have things like this go on, discredit me and undermine all of our efforts. Any photos you may have of the problems may be helpful to us in our presentation. If you are willing to help us we would welcome your thoughts and insights. I almost feel I should apologize to you. I am truly hurt by what you have described. We will make a stronger effort to educate the public. The last thing I will say is, the reason I fight for access, the reason I care, isn’t because I love my mode of travel, it is because nature and our land is sacred to me. Everything else is secondary. I want my children to have the same powerful experiences in the outdoors as I have had. Destroyed cedar trees, and defaced landscapes will make that all but impossible. While I defend access, I also believe in defending the quality of our environment and ecosystems and the biota in them. Take some comfort in knowing that we care and we are doing something about it. We are simply limited from going faster and bigger than funding allows.

Capt. Picky

quite
answering Klif01

Let's take a moment to examine the 'Bypass Issue'. There are all sorts of bypasses. Before venturing into the possibilities, I will attempt to answer one question posed:
Klif01 Today, 02:49 PM
On the issue of illegal bypasses, how are people supposed to know that a bypass is illegal?
I've written elsewhere regarding such a query. The fact is that if anyone is to 'blame' for such confusion, look around you. The first "illegal bypass' is created by those who came upon the obstacle and couldn't make it. OR, made it once, and found it "too boring" for the 3 1/2 - 4 - 4+ rating (since they were overbuilt relative to the obstacles actual rating). Short version is that the first through the "x number" of vehicles which followed in their wake *knew* full well they were leaving the trail and creating a "new bypass". They are the ones to be blamed, and should well know that. They obviously are the one's who should then remain present 24/7 to inform all others who wonder "which is the real and actual route?". The subsequent users of some days/weeks/months/years later can not be held culpable (providing it's not been marked otherwise or blocked off) for their travel on these bypasses. Of course at places like the Rockpile (as one example) they could have taken some time to 'repair' the section just enough to make it passable (as RR4W have done on it/ Widowmaker/ etc. etc.). But then again... we care and find that to have value and meaning. We also find that is within our scope of interest. I would suggest that others might try the same, but they're far too busy *enjoying* themselves to care about the enjoyment of *other 4-wheelers other than themselves*. I.E. - they are plain selfish. It's as simple as that.

Oh... they're on a limited time-frame.They cannot find it conceivable to temporarily fix it/make passable, or go to a different trail, or worse yet, to *give up and drive away licking their wounded pride, if they don't/can't do the trail*.

As far as blocking 'illegal' routes, that's a whole 'nother can of worms, and one which generally fails dismally. We've done that...Blocking it with boulders and Tree snags, only to return a day or week later and find the blocking dead tree snag turned into a pile of toothpicks and the place twice as hammered (needlessly) as before. BTW, I personally hate the painted thing which proclaims in foot-high letters "Not A Route". It's just as ugly IMO.
If only Leavenworth had such active types who can turn large boulders into smaller cobbles and gravel as those who visit here.
Like the rockpile on pritchet, there isn't any markings, for someone who has never done the trail, or isn't informed about the bypass, they are in the wrong, but they didn't know. I have been flamed for being on bypasses, I made a mistake, and didn't know that it was wrong to be on it, and I am sure that many other people are not aware they shouldn't be on it, and if they knew better, they wouldn't!
When RR4W marks a trail, or has decided upon not marking one (or a specific area of a given trail), it is based upon several criteria.
1) The trail is unpopular, not attracting the heavy-foot crowd; and is regarded by the Administering entity as not being a 'trouble spot/trail' which requires marking.
2) There is a hope that when trails are marked, that a minimum number of trail indicators would suffice to make the route clear. This has often failed dismally. (I've touched upon this in other posts). We don't want a forest of carsonite signposts and paint marks if the desired result can be achieved in a less obtrusive way. That fails dismally as well. SOME people - it would seem - NEED a marker every vehicle length to *possibly* keep them on a trail. Naturally, those who actually *need* such an overkill situation as that, are also the ones to totally disregard the signs anyway.
3) Pritchett, or other trails or sections of trails: It seemed *obvious* where the trail was. I mean, in many confined areas or very narrow trails, we (and the BLM) figured "Well, Gee... where else could they go? Where else might one even think the trail is?". Guess what? We underestimated the *ingenuity* of the careless. :-/
Have you any *viable* suggestions? Have you gone out there and put forth any time/effort/money in a constructive manner? I'm listening.....

NOW:
Let's say that you've a showroom new /stock equipped rig and the experience to match. You're out on some 'nothing' trail and there is something the size of a street curb or grapefruit sized rock which you fear will shred the tire or worse yet, rip out the oil pan. What do you then do? Well, naturally you drive a little to the left or right and "ramp" up the trail - crushing some plant or three - in the process. You 'logically' figure:
1) That's too tough... *nobody* could drive that.
2) The road has eroded away; let me do everyone a favor and eliminate that problem and their subsequent fear. Save 'em so time, so they can continue to breeze along at 25 MPH.
3) Sure beats ripping out the oil pan or tearng off my front air-dam.

Then there's the other end of the spectrum. 35" - 37" - 40 " tires attached to 400 cu.in. and all the goodies. You're out on some noted trail of some established 'difficulty' rating. But alas....
1) This trail is too boring. Let's try that wall over there.
2) I've done that route 2 times already... I need something more exciting.
3) Maybe I can impress someone who I hope will be looking and interested in what I can do.
4) You know you've *ALL* the goodies, but your "pal" ran out of $$ and time before he could install the framus or widget. Maybe, he'll break something, much to everyone's glee. Better still, maybe someone can photograph or make a video... wouldn't that be soooo cool... SA-WEET! (ho-extra-hum)

Need I explain that if you've done your rig up in such a manner, that you should ask yourself why? Is it because:
1) You didn't want to stand the chance of breaking something while out in the boonies (all alone? Do you do that? ever?) and didn't want to walk back - if you could - the 25 miles or more to some forlorn area of I-70 or I-80?
2) You felt the need to upgrade, because no matter what you've had, you always somehow manage to break it on even the most rudimentary of obstacles?
3) You're into 'conspicuous consumption', and don't want to appear like some plebian noob?

Now, in many cases, we here in Moab were often the last ones to 'upgrade' or rigs with ameneties like Lockers and what-not. But then again, many here have built up skill and experience by the good fortune/ design of being permanent residents in an area where 4-wheeling is a way of life and not some weekend warrior type of thing.

I've led plenty of trails where the guy who had more rust than vehicle outdrove the guy with the Hummer or the TJ and Gold Rolex with every vehicle upgrade imaginable. I've even seen a RR4W member who with a rented Farabee *stock* Jeep, outdrive with dignity, grace and aplomb more than one super outfitted rig. The super outfitted broke both Driveshafts and had to leave the trail (early, I might add... waaaay early) for repairs in town. The most able and skilled lady completed the trail, had a great time (plus the not so hidden satisfaction in her knowledge) and returned the vehicle unscathed back to the rental outfit, needing to do no more than to fill the gas tank.

This leads to the question (not for me... I've already seen many unsatisfactory performances) of how many could drive any number of lesser trails if they didn't have Lockers F&R, 37's, Dana 60's, Small-block Chevys or Dodge Hemi's, 98:1 Gear Ratio. 6 1/2" lift, etc. etc.just by skill alone. Of course there are many "Rockcrawlers" who actually started back in the 'dark ages' and had 'door-slammers' at one time, developing skill and technique as they progressed. Some of them still actually "Rockcrawl" and are not of the new *RockSlamming* school. To those persons, I tip my hat in full respect of their knowledge, skill and ability. (I in fact know some of them personally and have done trails with a number of them) For the others, I have no comment.

So... if you want a thrill... try doing it without all the bells and whistles. You'd be amazed at how satisfying (and maybe even terrifying) that could be.....
On the other hand, if you're trying to impress someone, the only ones impressed are SUWA and the entities (BLM/ Forest Service) who must answer to the thoughtless wanton destruction and who will eventually address such issues accordingly.
Of course, you could also take one final snapshot of Johnnies Jaw-Drop - when he's informed that all outdoor 4x4 activities have been permanently prohibited - as a final momento of the "good old days". Perhaps satisfaction will be derived from that. Then you can say: "Didja see the way Johnnies jaw fell clear down to his feet when he heard that? Wow... That was SWEET!" :-|

Capt. Picky

Capt. Picky

quite
The amount of misinformation that is rampant is what's equally discouraging.

Regarding Pirate4x4; I was astonished to see as goodly a number of posts as I did from people who seemed to get the gist of the idea. That was actually quite encouraging. Of course there were quite hostile or ill-willed posts as well.

Regarding Pritchett Canyon mouth - which is and has been owned by the Nelson family for ages (as well as the frontage from just west of Moonflower canyon and a small catchment/ spring which is adjacent to the road) - I believe it amounts to approximately a couple of hundred yards or so. In the past, the Nelsons never asked for anything regarding it's use or access, but merely that RR4W release them of any responsibility if some mishap should occur while on their property (IIRC).

Any argument that the trail is effectively blocked by those who would choose not to pay for access can be countered by the fact that all of the canyon is accessible (as well as all the country in the B.T.R. area and the Kane Creek Canyon Rim) from the trails which head up from the south end.

That they chose to try to reap some financial benefit resulting from the ballooning popularity of an activity which landed on their doorstep doesn't surprise me one bit. After all, isn't that also the "American way"?

Anyway, private owners rights and public access gets into an even more dicey area, and there are many such places in the lowlands as well as up on the LaSal Mountains which touch upon such issues. There were some under the jurisdiction of the NFS - but where they chose to overstep their reach regarding the road above Miners Basin which is private property. There are other areas such as that which are owned or leased by the Pace Ranch (as last I remember) on the La Sals which have also entered the picture on occasion.

The Miners Basin closure was prompted - once again - by the outrageous behavior of some individuals who broke into and entered the functioning cabins on private property and stole belongings from within the premises. Because a place is out in the sticks somewhere and *might appear to be abandoned* (which it wasn't; the caretaker had merely come down to Moab for supplies) doesn't give anyone any right to B and E and burglarize someones property.

Even if it weren't actively claimed and used, it's typical for people to wantonly destroy and trash "ghost towns" anyway, isn't it? Makes them really wonderful places to visit. It's nice to enter one and see refuse, human excrement, t-paper, destroyed walls and graffiti and so forth. So, once again we all lose another *gem of a trail*, because of the actions of a few selfish thieving beings. RR4W tried to get this trail re-opened at some considerable cost, but I think everything got stalled in red tape and all sorts of legalese.

Then there was the issue at the Cottonwood Canyon area (accessed from Highway 211 in Indian Creek) where one *used to access* the Trail which headed south to gain access to the Seven Sisters Buttes/ Beef Basin/ Abajo's and so forth. That access route was closed and re-routed because some inconsiderate louts had left the gate open at the ranch when passing though. The Cattle escaped and then got onto Canyonlands N.P. property. The ranch owner, Heidi Redd was slapped with (or was threatened to be slapped with) a huge fine for the ensuing damages. She pre-empted any such further possibility by closing that route to public access. It's funny how for years and years before the advent of popularity or stupidity/carelessness to established principals regarding gate 'management' that one had no such problem. Amazing.

But the bottom line to the entire issue lies within that province on how land is used (or abused) and in but few other areas. I'll stop here before I digress even further into areas being closed or denied *reasonable* access due to the actions of some of our 4-wheeling brethren.

Just a FYI:
One thing further regarding 'erosion'. How many persons realize that the issue of river salination and sediment is part of the big overview not laid down by local and regional BLM offices but in fact originates at the head office in Washington D.C.? How many realize that excessive baring of ground cover (however seemingly minute on the scale of things) adds to that run-off of sediment? How many realize that in some areas of extreme *off-road* (literally off road, because there isn't any road at all) that the effective surface area is increased by numerous random tracks. Tracks which then serve as new run-off channels and are subject to more rapid erosion as rainwater accumulates and runs at increasing rates down these newly created channels, thereby dumping even more sediment into all drainages/streams/rivers and ultimately into the Colorado River. That sediment is measured and is mandated to be addressed by the BLM by the US Federal Offices in Washington D.C.

Simply a FYI. Amazing isn't it?

By the same token, when one maintains travel on a trail, one effectively compacts and continues to compact that surface. In so doing, one actually slows down erosion of that surface. That's a benefit for the sediment levels being monitored as well as the trail, and ultimately for us as users.
There are some instances in some extremely sandy ground areas where a gully washer can undermine that road (usually only when there is a semi-substantial gradient to that trail/road) and rut it out some several feet deep. My experience has been that these instances seem to be exceedingly rare on relative to the miles upon miles of trials I've traveled. I've seen but few roads and trails (although I might possibly surprise you if I stated which they were) which were rendered no longer usuable in their previous alignment due to such natural erosive forces.

Again, simply another FYI.

Capt. Picky

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
Well, I for one fully agree with Bill Burke's assessment of the situation. I increasingly find myself wondering why I want to continue to associate myself with with offroad community when such blatant actions are perpetrated by supposed other members of that same community. As for the yahoos at pirate, the response to this posting there is exactly why I do not peruse that forum or associate myuself in any way with it. Even the name of the site conjures images of a bunch of redneck yahoos tearing up the countryside.

Hopefully others will recognise the situation is getting more seroius every day.

Capt. Picky

quite
Rick B. -

Bill Burke had many sound views IMHO.

There are some 'members of the 4-wheeling' community who are well worth maintaining associations with if one is so inclined. Of course there's no accounting for taste, and there's also no *need* to have or cultivate such associations. This is all the more true if one is not a "social 4-wheeler". By that I mean, one is the sort who likes to 4-wheel and not be rubbing shoulders and swapping-spit with anyone when in the outback. You know, like 'old-school' 4-wheeling. ;-))

As for Pirate4x4... it has a reputation, but I had noticed a number of posts in the 'Look at what Bill Burke had to say' Thread which seemed to be composed by a few who had thought and reason in the forefront and 'knee-jerk' comments were not forthcoming from them.

It's my opinion that any person should be looked at as an individual no matter 'which group' they are associated with. After all, is it not the same for yourself? You allude to how you have a conscientious and reserved way in your four-wheeling (my words, in describing the content of the posts you've written). If you say so, and I've not seen otherwise, I won't dispute that.

Therefore, it follows that you would not want to be heaped into a barrel along with "inconsiderate 4 wheeling louts" when viewed by an outsider. So, unless one gives up the activity altogether, one will be viewed by others in that same fashion if they care not to distinguish one from another.

In short, despite its "hardcore reputation", I'd resist passing judgment on every member there that one has not met or who has written non-inflammatory posts.

I'd add that if you enjoy the activity and are not detrimental to its long term (or even immediate) well being, you should simply continue to do so and not feel pressured to give it up for fear of being ostracized or associated with an unsavory element. This is even more true if your actions when viewed in the backcountry is one which inspires fine outdoor ethics. We need more of such kinds of enthusiasts, not less.

In conclusion, to misquote George Leigh Mallory: You do it "...Because it's beautiful; NOT because it's there." ;-)

Just my .02 cents.

Respectfully,
Capt. Picky

Rick B

S.E. Utah Native
I agree that I will continue to participate in wheeling, after all it's been my main source of recreation for more than 25 years. What I keep questioning myself on is participation in a manner that directly indicates to others that I'm a part of that group. The vast majority of my wheeling is, and always has been, alone or in a small group of my organizing. I gave up on large group outings like EJS back in the late 70's because of the group dynamics that pervaded the sport back then. I've seen nothing to indicate that has changed for the better since then. What I do find encouraging is that the majority of Moab locals have a very protective attitude towards our backcountry.