Jeep Speed Goat TJ, the anti-build thread

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Or just double wall your new fender tube at the joint (match ID of the current inner tube), and sleeve it just as you would normally make a joint like that. Drill some holes, weld some plugs and be done.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Do you have a good notcher? I think I remember that you do... chuck that notcher on there and notch through the semi-vertical tube and run your new one out from there.

I used my notchmaster to cut through my lower bars that were bent in from all the rock hits, while it took a while it ended up really nice I was able to just slide new tubing right in.

Edit: Either that or cut it out and set a steel ball in there for a joint.

I do, it's a DeWalt!

i-dKH9m5c-X4.jpg

I used to have a Harbor Freight notcher and it stayed around for much longer than it should have... but ended up in the trash.

I do need to invest in a proper tube notcher, but for now I don't have one. That's a good idea though to setup the notcher and cut out what I need to tie into the joint.

Or just double wall your new fender tube at the joint (match ID of the current inner tube), and sleeve it just as you would normally make a joint like that. Drill some holes, weld some plugs and be done.

Good thought as well, it would be nice to have that joint supported with a tube on the inside. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Greg

Admin
Since I was fooling with tube and cutting off parts, I decided to get to work on the stinger and turn it into more of a prerunner push bar.

i-9W3hVtm-X4.jpg

I decided on a pretty short, straight piece of tube. Pretty simple change, but really alters the look of the front tube work. I need to get some round tube caps, weld them on and buzz the new tube in place. I was debating relocating some of the old lights I pulled off, onto the new tube. The Rigid lights would look pretty good up there, IMO.

i-R2rMMv2-X4.jpg

i-SXnHRm5-X4.jpg

Greg

Admin
Man, you are hard on yourself. It looks awesome, and so much better.

Thanks Bart! Need to finish it out and make sure it's all straight.

Is the tube outside of the hood so that it will rub before the fiberglass?

Correct! I've seen plenty of busted up fiberglass body parts, I'm trying to protect it, make it look minimal, tie in the grill hoop and shock hoops, etc.

Greg

Admin
Wrapping up the bumper push bar and the tube fenders, got the final fitting done, welded on the caps and fender tubes in place. Pretty happy with how it came together! I need to tie the tube fenders into the shock hoops, but I'm saving that work for when the ORI's go on... have some ideas to build some beefy mounts.

i-R9kMsSn-X4.jpg

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
Wrapping up the bumper push bar and the tube fenders, got the final fitting done, welded on the caps and fender tubes in place. Pretty happy with how it came together! I need to tie the tube fenders into the shock hoops, but I'm saving that work for when the ORI's go on... have some ideas to build some beefy mounts.

i-R9kMsSn-X4.jpg
Looks great, Greg!

YROC FAB.

BUGGY TIME

i-R9kMsSn-X4.jpg
I like it much better now. I bought that tube die when i was 18 years old, it built my single seater and much much more, glad to see it building more.

Greg

Admin
I like it much better now. I bought that tube die when i was 18 years old, it built my single seater and much much more, glad to see it building more.

I agree, the tight fiberglass hood just looks cleaner. The tube work seems to match the lines quite well.

The die has been handy, it has plenty more bends in its future!

Greg

Admin
I'm so excited about this next addition... I think it pays tribute to the LS3 under the hood and will give the TJ and its fiberglass hood a more aggressive look. Plus, the fiberglass hood is pretty flimsy when you lift it, so I'm hoping the scoop will add rigidity to the hood structure. I'm probably going to add some aluminum plate to the hood scoop studs underneath (it bolts on) and the hood hinges. The scoop won't be functional, don't want to remove any more structure. Got it from - https://racescoops.com/

Working on getting it all painted next, not going to roll around with a gel coat grey colored hood.... have some fun plans to make it stand out from the crowd as well. ;)

i-5DSvwqh-X4.jpg

i-JN4xqsv-X4.jpg

Greg

Admin
Nothing like drilling holes in your new, fiberglass hood! Got the scoop mounted, moved it towards the front of the raised portion, for an even more aggressive look.

The scoop fits the hood quite well, no real gap around the edges, which is great since it wasn't built for this hood! I used large fender washers underneath and with just that, it really did stiffen up the hood. Still going to add some additional aluminum support. I feel like the scoop height is perfect, not too tall.

i-qppgdBQ-X4.jpg

i-BM3ww8C-X4.jpg

i-BpBg8Fs-X4.jpg

Greg

Admin
I took a couple days off work and spent time on the TJ in the shop... with the priority being get rid of the rear coilovers, Currie Antirock, bumpstops & limiting straps.

Now the fuel cell is full and right close to where I'd be cutting, so I took my time to cover it with a tarp to redirect fumes, then a blanket over the seats and cell and finally a fiberglass blanket to keep sparks from burning thru. Also had a 20# fire extinguisher close by, just in case. 🔥😬

i-Vqv2s9B-X4.jpg

i-Vvc6vSR-X4.jpg

i-r885XtK-X4.jpg

It took quite a bit of cutting and cleaning things up to get it ready. Once all the offending parts were removed, I had to build new wider and MUCH beefier shock mounts. The ORI's act as both the bump and limit, so the mounts need to be very strong. I used huge 3/8" tabs, additional gussets and added extra support.

The upper shock mounts were previously about 75* off the side of the tube and the CO's were 16's, so I rotated the new tabs directly under the tube since they're 14's and added a verticle 1.75" tube tie-in directly above the shock tabs, to the roll cage. I also built a gusset outside of the upper shock mounts and added a small piece of 1.25" tube that ties into the shock hoop and outer tube. The lower shock mounts got a little gusset, tieing them together.

i-2V92Lz4-X4.jpg

i-7xntjMs-X4.jpg

i-FNTBxbm-X4.jpg

After it was all welded, I bolted the ORI's in place, put the tires on (temporarily, need to go thru the brakes) and checked it out! The goal is to get the TJ 2-3" lower than it was, obviously sitting at full bump at this point, but it looks killer! I can see onto the roof, which means it's about 6' tall. Pretty sure it was 6' 6" at the top of the roof before.... wish I had measured it first!

The front is still sitting high... nice Carolina Squat, eh? 🙄

I'll probably run it with 4-5" of up-travel, which means 9-10" of down travel. We'll see what the final height looks like after the front is done and I charge the ORI's.

i-jXT6BmB-X4.jpg

i-pWpVwxR-X4.jpg

i-5XXRwtm-X4.jpg