Spring over

RockinSami

Been to the Rubicon
Ive heard that when you spring over an FJ55 you have to cut and turn the axels. My question is would you need to do this if you were putting them under a Samurai

RockinSami

Been to the Rubicon
spoa

RockinSami said:
Ive heard that when you spring over an FJ55 you have to cut and turn the axels. My question is would you need to do this if you were putting them under a Samurai

What if I use High Steer

S

sukaB

Hickey said:

Contact/
Kurt Cruiser :
He runs that game:
Hickey is prolly right, me I don't know, just pluggin Kurt cause they do it,Sent people their and they are happy....

shmoesmith

The answer is a most definate NO! Several websites even reference how it is dangerous and bad to cut and turn sammy knuckles. Trust me on this, go SPOA with trail toughs kit (much more solid than RRO) and you get highsteer...Way nice kit, installs ina breeze...I just ran my SPOA sammy up moab rim today and it worked great, no problems, walked rightup it.

shmoesmith

shmoesmith said:
The answer is a most definate NO! Several websites even reference how it is dangerous and bad to cut and turn sammy knuckles. Trust me on this, go SPOA with trail toughs kit (much more solid than RRO) and you get highsteer...Way nice kit, installs ina breeze...I just ran my SPOA sammy up moab rim today and it worked great, no problems, walked rightup it.

Oh yeah, Trail Tough uses a bit different shock mounting setup than other venders that is supposed to be alot more stable and their spring perches are way way beefier that most. Their kit flexes quit nicely as you can see.(taken from moab rim)

shmoesmith

shmoesmith said:
Oh yeah, Trail Tough uses a bit different shock mounting setup than other venders that is supposed to be alot more stable and their spring perches are way way beefier that most. Their kit flexes quit nicely as you can see.(taken from moab rim)
*lol* I just saw that you work at RRO *loL* oh well. Glen is my pal, and he has done some great work for me on my tracker(its the one you guys use for 99+tracker mods) but I have to say, unless you are getting an employee discount and are short on cash, the trailtough kit is better. Glen does do some things better than Trail Tough, such as having a coil kit available and gearing,driveshafts etc, but the Trail Tough Kit is better (both for standard SPOA and the YJ kit) We have compared them side by side (with both kits,I have one, my buddy has the other) and the Trail Tough kit takes the prize. I have had serveral friends with the RRO highsteer fail, but my trail tough one has not(possible coinsidence but who knows)So why are you askign about knuckle rotation? you work at RRO (according to your profile)Why didnt you just ask glen?

RockinSami

Been to the Rubicon
I am actually talking about cruiser axels not sami axels I would never cut And turn a Sami axel. Ive actually talked to Glen about it I was just looking for some input from cruiser guys. And as far as your friends steering arms they should have called RRO. we have a life time warranty on all of the products we manufacture.

Last edited:

theferg

DD for Life
On cuttin-n-rotatin' the FJ55 axles, it mostly depends on how you want to run the front axle. If you don't cut-n-turn, you gotta run the axle with the pinion flange parallel to your front t-case output flange (stock configuration) so that the knuckles remain in their correct caster. This *could* end up requiring you to run a pretty short (overall length) front drive shaft and *could* end up with some bind on droop.

With the cut-n-turn, you get to angle the pinion flange up at the t-case, getting it up and out of the rocks, and allowing for more extreme angles before your driveshaft would bind. The other thing is that stock caster on Cruiser axles is debatedly a little on the negative. It is widely recommended to rotate the knuckles about 4-6 degrees more to make up for the bad caster. For example, if you rotate 14 degrees up for the pinion angle, you will need to add another 4-6 degrees so your total rotation (for the knuckles) will be 18-20 degrees.

I had Cruiser Outfitters cut-n-turn my front axle for my SOA and I believe they went around 17.5 degrees total (13.5 pinion angle and 4 caster). Kurt boasts to me all the time that they have a *really* quick turn around for cut-n-turn and they have an excellent price for it as well if you need some one to do it for ya.

-Ferg-