South-West Utah St George kid-friendly outings

cackalak

I'm headed to St. George next week.  Will bring the family along (2 kids, both under 3).  I'm looking for ideas that are kid-friendly. Not 4WD trail related, but more short hikes and cool places to see, etc. It should be fairly warm (upper 50's, according to weather.com) so I'd like to take advantage and get outdoors. (Been couped up inside too much this winter). I'll be taking half a day myself to go hit some mountain bike trails, but the other three days will be spent with the fam.

Few that I've been able to research are: Jenny's Canyon, Red Cliffs and the dino tracks. Never been to any of these, so don't know exactly what to expect. Especially at this time of year.

Thanks for any suggestions.

DAA

Red Cliffs is a zoo (comprised largely of azz hats & maroons...). Jenny's is a very short hike in Snow Canyon, worth doing with the young kids. No idea which dino tracks you are talking about.

What does   mean?

- DAA

You could try Red Cliffs, but it is busy. Also busy, but fun with kids is the crack in pioneer park. See here for an idea. (I have no idea who that site belongs to, just the first place I found. More city activities, but my younger kids enjoy riding the bike trails and exploring around Tonaquint park over by the St George Golf course. Lots of cool little hikes and sand dunes in Snow Canyon, if you haven't been there.

rholbrook

There is the Dinosaur tracks/museum. Red Cliffs is always fun for the kids. The Washington City Pool would be good for them. There are also Dinosaur tracks out near the end of Warner Valley Road. You will need a 4x4 to get to them because of the Sand.

cackalak

This is all great info. DAA - Warner Valley dino tracks is what I was talking about. We'll be in a Subaru, so not sure if we can get to it? It's got pretty good clearance (8.7"). I guess if it's just sand, we'll be ok. Also, not sure what " " is and why it's there in the original post...

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out the areas you all mentioned. In-city activity suggestions are also very welcome.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
This is all great info. DAA - Warner Valley dino tracks is what I was talking about. We'll be in a Subaru, so not sure if we can get to it? It's got pretty good clearance (8.7"). I guess if it's just sand, we'll be ok. Also, not sure what " " is and why it's there in the original post...

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out the areas you all mentioned. In-city activity suggestions are also very welcome.

A Suburu will have no problems getting to the dinosaur tracks in Warner Valley. I have seen Honda Civics parked there.

YOUKNOW

Snow canyon has tons of short trails for kids to play on. We took my son there and he just loved how sandy all the trails were and all of the rock formations. I think it is the first or second trail on the right from the Ivins area entrance, it turns into this really cool canyon that you can go back into for a little bit. I think it is called Jenny's canyon trail. Fun stuff. The dino tracks in Warner Valley are cool to see, sometimes the sand is really bad and sometimes the sand is gone. you should be fine with 4wd.

Cascadia

Undecided
These all sound like cool things to do. We are going down tomorrow for the weekend. We have a place down there but we've never been to see anything. Is there a map somewhere of where or how to get to these places? I am also taking my dirt bike and quad. Where should I go? I'm going to have my wife ride the quad and she's never ridden before. At all.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
This time of year red cliffs wont be busy, snows canyon is always nice. Don't forget zion is only 20-30 minutes away too. The warner valley dino tracks can be accessed by a normal car unless the sand has drifted across the road in the one and only spot it can, chances are it will be fine.

YOUKNOW

Go to 300 East in Washington and go south for a long time until there are no more houses around. It will zig and zag for a while then a hard left, then hard right. After the right the next dirt road on your left will be Warner Valley road. Go up that until it opens up into the valley about half mile maybe? You can park there and unload and go north and mess around, or keep going on the same road until you hit the dunes. At the dunes it is fun to follow them north until you can go anymore. When you are ridding towards the cliffs, and you go up a hill to the left, you need to stay on the trail that veers towards the right, that will take you to the end. There is a little dune hill to ride up and play on there when you almost hit the cliffs. Lotta fun to be had in there. From there, you can play to any where. The dino tracks are down further past the dunes on Warner Valley road. There will be a sign farther down.