Steering damper

Tonkaman

I'm seriously considering dropping the cash on a steering dampener but need some advice. Do I want 3 settings or 5? Pros/cons to over or under bar mounts? Any one to avoid?

Caleb

What damper are you looking at? Adjustable on the bar (remote) or just on the unit? Almost everyone I know that doesn't have the remote adjustment says they never adjust it. They get it set and forget it's there. I rode a few bikes with them and prefer mine without. I'm sure I would get used to having one and it would be a must have, but I've always been able to justify the $300-$500 towards other parts but not for the damper.

Tonkaman

I'm sure I don't need the remote but I've never ridden with one. I have been riding extra rocky terrain lately and just looking for a little help

crapmanche4l

...no more! Call me Murphey
I run a scott's (ohlins) over the bar. Love it! Very adjustable high speed low and range. Only time I haven't liked it is my chest kissed the bars when I lawn darted the bike and it didn't feel great. Under the bar mount is good for that reason but I'm a little guy and don't like the bars higher than they are. If your taller probably wouldn't mind the height addition. Haven't ridden any other damper so can't compare, but like said always been happy with it and so haven't looked else where.

Caleb

I'd personally prefer an underbar mount. Over bar puts it too out there. As for your bar height, just get a different bend of bar. You shoul dbe able to get a happy medium (slightly taller than you are now, but not as tall as just adding a damper). I like tall bars, so I currently have a set of Pro Taper KX High bends and would still go with an under bar mount. I prefer to stand, so I'd rather be comfortable standing than sitting.

Caleb

Also, FWIW, I've always heard great things about the Scotts. I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about them. However, I've also always heard great things about the GPR. That's what more and more of the non-desert pros (and even some of the desert guys) are starting to run. The V1 had some leaking issues, but the current V3 (remote) and V4 versions have been great. If you were interested in a V4 and RMATV has one for your bike, I can save you ~$40 on one.

Tonkaman

I already run a cr high bend bars and they just don't feel right. I've been looking at GPR4 so ill hit you up if that's what I decide to run

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Supporting Member
Some bikes benefit from dampers more than others but overall I truly feel the steering dampers are one of best improvement you can make to any dirt bike. On tight single track they take much of the work out of the rocks and in the wide open desert they add so much stability its unreal. I recommend getting you're handlebars where you feel comfortable then decide if you need a upper or lower mount. I like my bars up high so the lower mount works great for me.

I can't say enough good things about Scotts customer service and support it probably the best I've ever experienced anywhere. If you are considering buying a used damper I picked up a Scotts built in 97 for dirt cheap and they rebuilt and updated it to all the newest internals for a great price which saved me a lot of money over buying it new.