Jeep Stephen Finally Bought a Jeep

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
It was bound to happen, right? You stick around RME long enough and eventually you'll end up owning a Jeep.

So how did I, the quintessential automotive non-conformist, end up getting one? Well, my best friend down in St. George has had one sitting in his back yard for awhile and the last time I was down there my son took a liking to it. It's a 2009 Wrangler with a bad power unit, completely sunbaked paint, worn out tires; so pretty much a full rebuild. But I got it for nothing, so why not?

The plan is to rebuild the power unit so it has a bit more oomf, these Wranglers are snails! I mean, the Samurai has more guts than these! It came with portals, which was an unexpected bonus. Probably throw a two inch lift on it, new shoes, and a full repaint.

Should be a fun little project! I'll post up some pictures here shortly.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
OK, so this is what it looked like when we checked it out a few months ago. My son right away identified that it didn't work and my friend said the battery was toast anyway:
PW01.jpg

Hauled it up to my parents house a month later since it's going to be a surprise for my sons birthday on June 2nd. My mother was thrilled to have another derelict vehicle stored there.

Taking the whole thing apart was super easy, all it took was a Phillips screwdriver. No wonder people like modifying Jeeps! So much simpler than a Nissan...:

PW02.JPG

You can see the portals here:

PW03.JPG

Next step was getting it all cleaned up after sitting for years:

PW04.JPG

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Then it was time to tackle the lack of power in this thing. Rather than just replace the 12-volt battery with a new one, I swapped in a 20-volt system that uses Craftsman V20 batteries. I also installed a "soft start" module and "brake reduction" module so the power comes on smoother and when you let off the peddle, it doesn't just slam to a stop.

PW05.JPG

Since my parents live at the mouth of Parleys, I had to wait for a day when the wind wasn't howling in the evening to get it repainted:

PW06.JPG

I think the Duplicolor "Electric Blue" was a pretty solid match for the original color.

Then it was time to reinstall the power unit:

PW08.jpg

I also upgraded the wheels and tires to a sweet set of Harbor Freight 13" pneumatic hand truck tires. Should really improve the off-road performance over the factory plastic ones. I'm not sure why more Wrangler owners don't go this route, at under $15/per tire its a cheap upgrade:

PW07.JPG

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Finally, I threw it all back together and added a "retro" sticker pack as well:

PW09.jpg

PW10.jpg

PW11.jpg

PW12.jpg

PW13.jpg

Anyway, thanks for reading! RME was a great source for information on Wrangler builds and I hope you guys got some inspiration for your next build from this! I'm sure my son will be excited to drive it for the first time on Sunday and will be seeing all of you on the trail soon! ;)

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I had all my power wheels mod info locked and ready but you did all the things I was going to recommend. Hopefully the gears hold up okay with the traction the rubber tires provide. That's all the relevant input I have left.

Oh and your son is way cooler than you already... :rofl:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I had all my power wheels mod info locked and ready but you did all the things I was going to recommend. Hopefully the gears hold up okay with the traction the rubber tires provide. That's all the relevant input I have left.

I fully anticipate that the motors and gears will be fried soon. Fortunately you can buy upgraded units that are designed to handle the extra power and grip for pretty cheap. The Power Wheels aftermarket scene is both awesome and insane.

Oh and your son is way cooler than you already... :rofl:
All comes from his mothers side.

The_Lobbster

That's way cool! Been wanting to modify a powerwheels for my daughter.

Where did you source the electronic components you used?

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
That's way cool! Been wanting to modify a powerwheels for my daughter.

Where did you source the electronic components you used?