Stephen's 2017 Nissan Patrol err… Armada

Stephen's 2017 Nissan Patrol err… Armada

Engine: Nissan VK56VD 5.6L V8

Transmission: Stock 7-Speed Automatic

Transfer Case: Stock

Front Axle: Stock

Rear Axle: Stock

Suspension:
Front: Alldogs Offroad Y62-F-M springs, OME 90015 struts, SPC 25560 upper control arms
Rear: Alldogs Offroad Y62-R-M Springs, OME 60084 shocks

Steering: Stock

Wheels and Tires: 35"x12.50 R18 General Grabber ATx's

Communication:
HAM: ICOM ID-4100A
GMRS: Midland MXT-275

50339992772_aa61145a76_b.jpg

50339837486_bd9a31a3cd_b.jpg

50339148293_f38e96a87c_b.jpg

I've loved my Trooper over the last eight and a half years, but I just got the itch about a month ago to get something new. Even with all the work and upgrades I've done to the Trooper, its still a 26-year old vehicle at heart. I wanted something newer and yes, more comfortable. So yesterday I pulled the trigger on this Armada. These have been on my radar since Nissan started basing them on the global Patrol platform in 2017. Yes, the Infiniti QX56/80 have been based on the Patrol since 2011; but those are just ugly.
Now an Armada is 80% Patrol. In Nissan's infinite wisdom, they deleted the factory locker, tuned the suspension to be more road biased, and didn't include the "Rock, Sand, and Mud" transmission modes. And the good ol'Federal impact standards mean the bumpers are totally different. All that said, the Armada is still a very competent off-road vehicle. And its freaking huge. Globally, the Patrol is a direct competitor to the 200-Series Land Cruiser, but the Patrol is actually slightly larger than that. So for me, who generally enjoys small vehicles like Samurai's and Miata's; its like driving a bus! But boy; its a bus with guts! That 390hp (equivalent to ~6 Samurais, in case you're wondering) and 401 lb-ft of torque MOVES.
So what are my plans with this barge? Well, its more or less going to replace the Trooper as my backcountry adventure vehicle. I'm still teasing out exactly what I want to do and where to get it from. As mentioned, since this isn't fully a Patrol, the aftermarket is a bit scattered. Some Patrol stuff bolts right on, some (like bumpers) do not. And the Armada specific aftermarket seems to just be spinning up. A number of companies have products that are in development right now.
In broad strokes, though, a mild lift (2"-3"), better all-terrain tires, ARB air locker in the rear, rock rails, front and rear bumpers (when they're available), and some interior stuff to make camp life a bit more luxe.
And yes, @bryson, part of the motivation in getting an Armada was because its different from a Land Cruiser. I just can't help myself.

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
any regrets on the ADO lift after a week of driving?
Nope, its been just fine.
They are currently giving me the runaround on the kit I ordered - getting no answers when asking for a shipping update. Tempted to just cancel this order and go elsewhere. What is with companies lately? Nisstec Denver, now ADO... crazy times.
I've never had a problem with either of those companies. Both have always been prompt and responsive. Sorry you're having a bad experience.

Silverbuff

Installed the AllDogs Off-Road springs yesterday. No pictures of the install because we were jamming from the moment we got to my buddies shop. Front struts were easy, in and out no problem. Rear springs were the same as the OME ones. Had to compress the ever loving sh!t out of them to get them to go in. But since I built my super heavy duty ACME rod spring compressor, it was much easier and faster than before. Got everything swapped and aligned in about three and a half hours, so not bad.

It sits about an inch lower than with the OME springs. Ride is also noticeably softer, which is nice. My 35's still fit, but since they're so worn from 2 years of bad camber, I think I might swap them out for some slightly smaller 295/70/18's.

Most importantly, rear camber is dialed in perfectly to spec! No more positive camber! I'll drive it around for about a week and when I put the new tires on next week I'll re-torque and re-verify, but we had plenty of adjustment, so should be good.

I'll grab some driveway pictures this morning when I get a chance and post them.
Good morning Stephen, I have a 2017 Armada and I am interested in replacing my horrible stock Monroe struts with Bilstein 6100's. Based on your experience with the AllDogs Bilsteins, could I mount those on my Armada and maintain the stock ride height (roughly)? I know Rocky Mountain Extreme is not really about keeping a vehicle stock. But my primary goal is to have a nice firm controlled ride. The Monroe struts are downright awful on my rig, just super soft and the vehicle is so prone to wallowing. They say the Bilstein 6100's are 0-2 just want to make sure the zero would work well on the stock rig. Thanks for your time! I have to agree that your Armada does look great with the new suspension!

Silverbuff

Good morning Stephen, I have a 2017 Armada and I am interested in replacing my horrible stock Monroe struts with Bilstein 6100's. Based on your experience with the AllDogs Bilsteins, could I mount those on my Armada and maintain the stock ride height (roughly)? I know Rocky Mountain Extreme is not really about keeping a vehicle stock. But my primary goal is to have a nice firm controlled ride. The Monroe struts are downright awful on my rig, just super soft and the vehicle is so prone to wallowing. They say the Bilstein 6100's are 0-2 just want to make sure the zero would work well on the stock rig. Thanks for your time! I have to agree that your Armada does look great with the new suspension!
Just to be totally clear I am referring to the front struts on my '17 Armada. Still have the air rear suspension. I intend to replace the rear suspension with Bilstein 5100's/conversion kit etc. when the air suspension useable life is over.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Just to be totally clear I am referring to the front struts on my '17 Armada. Still have the air rear suspension. I intend to replace the rear suspension with Bilstein 5100's/conversion kit etc. when the air suspension useable life is over.
I'm not running Bilsteins, I have Old Man Emu struts. They would not work with stock springs, so I assume the Bilsteins that AllDogs sells wouldn't either. I'd recommend you contact them and ask.

Silverbuff

Sorry for my misunderstanding, yeah I already asked AllDogs and they said their kit is intended for lift purposes not stock stuff. It has been a hell of a rabbit hole trying to figure out an alternative strut to the Monroe's. I appreciate your reply, maybe I can find the answer in the Armada forums? Take care.