Strike Ravine

Houndoc

Interesting article in todays Trib updating the legal status of Strike Ravine. Unfortunately could not find it on the on-line version to provide a link.:mad2:

UtahFire

Houndoc said:
Interesting article in todays Trib updating the legal status of Strike Ravine. Unfortunately could not find it on the on-line version to provide a link.:mad2:

I could not find the article you are talking about. Do you have a page number?

roktaxi

Locked Up = More Freedom
The Moab Times Independent has a piece about Strike Ravine. However, I think you have to subscribe to the paper in order to view the articles. Basically, it said that SITLA will not be a part of the ongoing litigation and that no matter what the judge decides regarding the appeal, the loosing side will appeal that decision to a higher court. S.O.S

Houndoc

Sorry to be slow in follow-up. I think it was page 2 of the local/state news section (sorry I have don't still have it). Talked about the legal issues with the people that bought land from SITLA and want to close the section that crosses their land. Basically said the temporary easement continues, the state cannot issue a permenant one and that the state is removed from the ongoing legal actions.

Marshall

Was That a U-Joint?
I don't remember the details at all, but didn't something similar to this happen to Lower Helldorado some years back? It seems like an organization bought just enough land to put up a fence across the trail, but it ended up being taken out as some kind of access law. I think someone actually got physically run over while standing in the way of that trail...but like I say, I do not remember the details.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Marshall said:
I don't remember the details at all, but didn't something similar to this happen to Lower Helldorado some years back? It seems like an organization bought just enough land to put up a fence across the trail, but it ended up being taken out as some kind of access law. I think someone actually got physically run over while standing in the way of that trail...but like I say, I do not remember the details.

EXACT same parties, I believe.

JackKeslerCustoms

Marshall said:

Exact parties, and Lower Helldorado is still closed.

RedBull_RockIt

Losing Lower Helldorado was a sad thing because that trail was so much fun to do for a "quickie" run...still, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Strike Ravine however is a trail with a much longer history and a ton of memories for so many of us. Losing that would be another story.

As I'm not up on what's going on with that trail...am I assuming right by stating that even though the lawsuits are continuing, we still have easement? Or is the easement only for certain "organised runs?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
RedBull_RockIt said:
Losing Lower Helldorado was a sad thing because that trail was so much fun to do for a "quickie" run...still, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Strike Ravine however is a trail with a much longer history and a ton of memories for so many of us. Losing that would be another story.

As I'm not up on what's going on with that trail...am I assuming right by stating that even though the lawsuits are continuing, we still have easement? Or is the easement only for certain "organised runs?

I believe it's still open by definition. It's an established route and has been for some time while Lower Helldorado's existence is not documented (or documentation is disputed) past the last 10 years.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
RedBull_RockIt said:
...As I'm not up on what's going on with that trail...am I assuming right by stating that even though the lawsuits are continuing, we still have easement? Or is the easement only for certain "organised runs?

I beleive the landowners are appealing the decision in court soon... Hope for the best! :)

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Also, the land owners have posted the trail as closed, but legally there is a temporary easement. It is legal to run, despite the signs at the entrance of the trail.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Greg said:
Also, the land owners have posted the trail as closed, but legally there is a temporary easement. It is legal to run, despite the signs at the entrance of the trail.

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• SR_Moab 084 (Small).jpg
    SR_Moab 084 (Small).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 83
This is one of those deals where we (the 4x4 community, USA-ALL, U4WDA, RR4W) need money to protect the pre-established LEGAL RIGHT to have this trail open. My understanding is that RR4W paid the bill to use USA-ALL's lawyer to fight this the last time around.

Join U4WDA as a member of RME today for only $10!!

This is the exact kind of situation where U4WDA would like to be able to offer some manpower and funds to help out. However, we have little manpower and even fewer funds. Join today!

It was a fun trail to run for the Winter Convention. I hope it can be kept open.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
The trail IS OPEN TO EVERYONE!!!!!! As it currently stands we have a recognized temporary easement with no way of making it permanent.

The land owners have the right to appeal if their (or whoever is financing them)finances allow. It is their perogitive to appeal, if they don't than essential we win and the trail keeps a temporary easment indefinitely.

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
scoutabout said:
My understanding is that RR4W paid the bill to use USA-ALL's lawyer to fight this the last time around.
To the tone of around $20,000.

Paul Mortensen is pricey, but he sure is good!!!! He has won several cases before the U.S. Supreme Court; USA-All also uses him extensivly!!