Toyota Supercharger - kill Toyota reliability?

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
Thinking of dropping the bucks to supercharge my 5.7 tundra. 50k miles on it, full maintenance done since new.

Anyone have input on whether this is a terrible idea? I don’t plan on putting 800k on this truck, but if it dies before 250k because supercharged I’ll be very sad. I plan on driving responsibly 95% of the time, no doing burnouts with a cold engine, no going to the track. Just want to quit looking over my shoulder at raptors for sale.

I hear opinions both ways on the enthusiast forums, curious if anyone has first hand experience

Reactions: DAA

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
My buddy has one. If you don't mind <8mpg go for it. I doubt he'll get 150k the way he drives but it'll be SO FUN till it pops.

I have very little confidence in that rear axle while towing though. Donnie (stock motor) blew one up and he only pulls a small toy hauler with dirt bikes a couple times a month. The techs told him the fill level gets too low for the raised pinion angle with his small lift and the front pinion bearing runs dry (I have doubts about that as the explaination)... Told him to park on a hill and overfill the new one. He replaced it and sold the thing since it got such bad mileage towing... It was seriously like 6mpgs with 35s

RockChucker

My buddy has one. If you don't mind <8mpg go for it. I doubt he'll get 150k the way he drives but it'll be SO FUN till it pops.

I have very little confidence in that rear axle while towing though. Donnie (stock motor) blew one up and he only pulls a small toy hauler with dirt bikes a couple times a month. The techs told him the fill level gets too low for the raised pinion angle with his small lift and the front pinion bearing runs dry (I have doubts about that as the explaination)... Told him to park on a hill and overfill the new one. He replaced it and sold the thing since it got such bad mileage towing... It was seriously like 6mpgs with 35s
That’s interesting. That 10.5 is a huge diff. Actually on my shortlist to replace my rear 60 should it ever go boom catastrophically. Do you know what failed?

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
As stated above: techs said starved front pinion bearing- seized.

Seems like a good unit on paper to me: high hypoid layout, big rp, fairly light housing, etc but
Again, I've only got the experience I've stated with that diff... I'm sure you can Google it if you want to see if others have had failures towing.
10.5 ring gear in a half ton seems overbuilt considering a Sterling is 10.5 as well, but maybe they screwed the setup on his 🤷

They have their limitations but lb for lb I've had good luck with 8" yota diffs... But maybe that's because my old tired 22re never made much more than double digits 😂

Anything can be broken: I've broke a 35spline 4340 FF rear shaft with an old dry set of 39 tsls and me and Dallas blew the pinion out the top of a 9" third with crappy 37" irocs and a 4-cylinder YJ.