Support House Joint Resolution HJR010

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
BLUERIBBON COALITION ACTION ALERT!

UTAH ENVIRO-GROUPS PRESSURING LAWMAKERS TO VOTE AGAINST UTAH LEGISLATION THAT PROTECTS ACCESS TO PUBLIC LANDS!!

LET YOUR REPRESENTATIVE KNOW YOU SUPPORT PUBLIC ACCESS TO PUBLIC LANDS

Dear BRC Action Alert Subscriber,

We just received word from John Borg, a member of the Utah OHV Advisory Council, asking for your help in supporting the Utah Legislature's House Joint Resolution (HJR010). See below for details.

We've pasted John's email below. Please take action today!

Thanks,
Ric Foster
Public Lands Department Manager
BlueRibbon Coalition
208-237-1008 ext 107

Subject: [Usall] Support HJR010
Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2008 09:37:00 -0700
To: Utah Shared Access Land List <usall@mailman.xmission.com>

This session of the Utah Legislature includes a House Joint Resolution (HJR010) which:

1) Urges (the US) Congress not to enact federal legislation designating additional "wilderness" on public lands within Utah without the unanimous support of Utah's congressional delegation;

2) Urges the United States Bureau of Land Management not to restrict access to existing public lands in Utah under its jurisdiction through so-called "wilderness characteristics" options in resource management plans; and

3) Reaffirms the Legislature's strong support for continued public access and multiple use regarding public lands.

An amended version of this resolution was favorably recommended by committee vote on Wednesday, and is moving ahead.

Naturally, the Utah Chapter of the Sierra Club is not happy about the State wanting a say in management of lands within Utah, and is telling their followers to speak out against HJR010. See: http://www.utah.sierraclub.org/tracker/hjr10.html

YOU can counter their efforts by contacting your State representative and telling them you "SUPPORT HJR 10". To get your representatives contact information or find out who your representative is, see: http://le.utah.gov/maps/amap.html

For HJR010 status, bill text, etc., see: http://le.utah.gov/~2008/htmdoc/hbillhtm/hjr010.htm

When sending email, include you real name, street address, and phone number so you can be confirmed as a constituent.

Thanks...

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
My letter, sent to all Utah representatives and senators.

I am writing to show my strong support for HJR010.

I think it is about time that Utahans are finally able to determine what happens to our public land. Too many eastern politicians think they have the right to dictate how we can, or in most cases can't, use our land! Proposals such as America's Red Rock Heritage Act are a slap in the face to freedom-loving Utahans! Why should a congresswomen from New York and a senator from Illinois have any say on how Utah's public land is utilized?

Living in Moab, I've been very attentive to the recent RMPs being conducted in 6 Utah BLM field offices, and I've noted a very disturbing trend in the "non-wilderness area with wilderness characteristics" ideology. Either it's Wilderness or it's not. In the 1964 Wilderness Act it states, "Each recommendation of the President for designation as 'wilderness' shall
become effective only if so provided by an Act of Congress.", yet BLM is establishing pseudo-wilderness which are managed exactly as if they were already Wilderness. This is illegal and should be halted immediately! Let the public use public lands, don't allow any more to become inaccessible.

Thank you,

David Adams
1336 Red Valley Ct
Moab, UT 84532
435 259-5031

Red Rock 4 Wheelers Land Use Officer
Moab Friends for Wheelin'
United Four Wheel Drive Association
Utah 4-Wheel Drive Association
Blue Ribbon Coalition
Utah Shared Access - Alliance
Utah Trail Patrol - Moab Unit
Tread Lightly! - Certified trainer
Americans for Responsible Recreational Access

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
For anyone interested, here are the email addresses of all the senators and representatives in Utah.

rmenlove@utah.gov, bcferry@utah.gov, jdraxler@utah.gov, fhunsaker@utah.gov, curtwebb@utah.gov, kwgibson@utah.gov, gdonnelson@utah.gov, gfroerer@utah.gov, neilhansen@utah.gov, lshurtliff@utah.gov, bdee@utah.gov, rgreenwood@utah.gov, pray@utah.gov, coda@utah.gov, daagard@utah.gov, kgarn@utah.gov, jfisher@utah.gov, rogerbarrus@utah.gov, sherylallen@utah.gov, pauln@utah.gov, jgowans@utah.gov, cduckworth@utah.gov, jseelig@utah.gov, rchouck@utah.gov, christinejohnson@utah.gov, dlitvack@utah.gov, jdougall@utah.gov, rozmcgee@xmission.com, janicefisher@utah.gov, jbiskupski@utah.gov, lwiley@utah.gov, ronbigelow@utah.gov, nhendrickson@utah.gov, koryholdaway@comcast.net, markwheatley@utah.gov, priesen@utah.gov, csmoss@utah.gov, ehutchings@utah.gov, jdunnigan@utah.gov, lhemingway@utah.gov, toddkiser@utah.gov, jbird@utah.gov, wharper@utah.gov, tcosgrove@utah.gov, mwalker@utah.gov, karenmorgan@utah.gov, steven_mascaro@comcast.net, sylviaandersen@utah.gov, gcurtis@utah.gov, merlynnnewbold@utah.gov, greghughes@utah.gov, cwimmer@utah.gov, melbrown@utah.gov, gsnow@utah.gov, jmathis@utah.gov, ksumsion@utah.gov, cfrank@utah.gov, ssandstrom@utah.gov, lfowlke@utah.gov, bdaw@utah.gov, keithgrover@utah.gov, cherrod@utah.gov, sclark@utah.gov, blockhart@utah.gov, atilton@utah.gov, mikemorley@utah.gov, ppainter@utah.gov, bwinn@utah.gov, brad.king@ceu.edu, kaymciff@utah.gov, blast@utah.gov, bbowman@utah.gov, mnoel@kanab.net, dclark@utah.gov, surquhart@utah.gov, ffife@utahsenate.org, smccoy@utahsenate.org, gdavis@utahsenate.org, pjones@utahsenate.org, kmayne@utahsenate.org, mwaddoups@utahsenate.org, rromero@utahsenate.org, cwalker@utahsenate.org, wniederhauser@utahsenate.org, dcbuttars@utahsenate.org, hstephenson@utahsenate.org, bgoodfellow@utahsenate.org, mmadsen@utahsenate.org, jvalentine@utahsenate.org, mdayton@utahsenate.org, cbramble@utahsenate.org, pknudson@utahsenate.org, jgreiner@utahsenate.org, achristensen@utahsenate.org, sjenkins@utahsenate.org, skillpack@utahsenate.org, gbell@utahsenate.org, deastman@utahsenate.org, dpeterson@utahsenate.org, lhillyard@utahsenate.org, kvantassell@utahsenate.org, mdmitrich@utahsenate.org, dstowell@utahsenate.org, bhickman@utahsenate.org

greenjeep

Cause it's green, duh!
I emailed everyone on the list above and I've had about 6 or so take the time to write back, they've all been in favor of it.

SICK99TJ

just finished my letter to about half..

You know it makes you feel good taking action on things that you have a passion for. If you are not in it, it is time to take some action.:D

Seth

These go to 11
I am contacting you to urge your support of HJR010. This bill urges the US congress not to enact federal legislation designating additional "wilderness" on public lands within Utah without the unanimous support of Utah's congressional delegation. In addition it Urges the United States Bureau of Land Management not to restrict access to existing public lands in Utah under its jurisdiction through so-called "wilderness characteristics" options in resource management plans; and finally Reaffirms the Legislature's strong support for continued public access and multiple use regarding public lands.

I have been a out-door enthusiast my whole life and have visited every corner of this state. I grew up in scouting, have hiked countless miles, and have served on the Salt Lake County Search and Rescue team. I have a well founded background and history in the wilderness of Utah.

I have done much study and investigated for myself the wilderness issues in all of the recent Resource Management Plans proposed by the Bureau Of Land Management. During my research I have noted some interesting items. Items that seem to be a skirting of the rules. Including temporary designations that go on for 30 plus years, creation of "wilderness" without the proper legislative protocol being followed and others.

I believe strongly in the leave no trace and tread lightly principles. I have never been a proponent of unlimited "open travel"in our forests and deserts. I do however believe there is a valid and sustainable use by motorized travel on our public lands.

I have always been one for volunteering. Recently I gotten involved with the Utah 4 Wheel Drive Association. I found this group when searching for land use issues in Utah. I have found that this group values the wilderness experience as much if not more then other so-called environmental groups. U4WDA works hands-on in volunteering efforts hand in hand with public land officials to help protect and repair areas. Ever since I joined U4 my level of enthusiasm and awareness of public land issues and the protection of this resource has increased exponentially.

With the growth of my awareness I have read much about the various "lands with wilderness characteristics", "wilderness study areas" and various other designation the BLM and FS have come up with. I also have learned how these designations have been perverted form the original intent into a quick way to side step congress and public input. I am all for wilderness designations and protecting the areas that need protecting. There is a process for this that involves careful scrutiny and the input a everyone involved. I have come to the conclusion that the so-called environmentalists do not have the best use of the land in mind merely the closure of a given area. An area that 99% have never visited nor will ever visit. How can one know the situation on the ground without being there? I have been to several of these areas and can attest that they are very stunning but not wilderness.

The long and short of it is this. When I see areas being closed through a process that does not count my voice among the crowd I believe it needs to be addressed. I would like to see the proper procedure followed before an area gets closed. I would also like to see local input from the people that will actually be visiting the area. I believe this legislation will help balance that process.