SUWA CONTACT

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Someone offered to try and get me a meeting with Ted Wilson or Hiedi McIntosh at SUWA and have not heard from them and forgot the post. Who was it and any results?
I am going to make a personal pitch to SUWA on how we can stop fighting and reach common ground. I know sounds crazy but you never know until you try. I have not had any luck getting my letters to the editor published so maybe this will work.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I understand why you would want to try to
stop fighting and reach common ground
and it is an admirable goal, at the same time I question why SUWA would want to talk to you or any member of U4 BRC etc.? Look at it from their point of view. U4 is a crumbling building that barely stands up as a entity why should they worry about fighting a group that is failing under its own inertia or lack there of to get anything done? The opposition to SUWA is like a pebble in their shoe while annoying you can still continue to walk and do what you want to do with little in the way of encumbrance.

Hitler made a deal with Stalin as Stalin was a threat to his plans but no matter what the French government did Hitler ignored them and walked right in, right now the pro land use groups are France.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Dieselcruiserhead sounds right. Any news?

TooeleCherokee - I have to say I agree with most of what you say but some action is better than no action. All I see from you is words. If nothing else I will be able to say I tried and they would not listen. We are not the bad guys unless forced into that position. Come to the U4 meeting tomorrow and let us know how you really feel.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest

TooeleCherokee - I have to say I agree with most of what you say but some action is better than no action. All I see from you is words. If nothing else I will be able to say I tried and they would not listen. We are not the bad guys unless forced into that position. Come to the U4 meeting tomorrow and let us know how you really feel.

How many times do I have to tell you I do not have the availability to show up to your meetings.
Why don't you post up meeting minutes so people can have an understanding of what (if anything) U4 is currently doing other than what they have done in the past or wish they could do :) some action is better than putting on a meet and greet/complain session :D

also I have not seen anything from you other than words just because you have not seen me at your precious meeting doesn't mean that I haven't done anything :)

I do believe Andre was talking to Steve Bloch and Ray Bloxham at some point to "find common ground". Haven't heard any news on this front in a long time. You might want to pm dieselcruiserhead because I don't think he is here regularly.

It's another issue that the OHV community COULD exploit given the right strategy and motivation. I've suggested for some time that the OHV community should support their own Wilderness bill which would designate the ACTUAL Wilderness remaining. As in: real Wilderness, not closing roads to make Wilderness.

The fact that REAL Wilderness is in danger while SUWA takes an "all or nothing" approach to get their 9 million acres, shows what their real agenda is. If they really wanted to protect Wilderness, they'd do it. Instead, they want to wear down the oppossition and remove motorized access to all of their 9 million acre proposal. They're smart. We're maintaining the status quo, and it should be obvious to anyone that it's not working.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Steve - I could not have said it better - Thanks. I will try to PM dieselcruiserhead.

TooeleCheroke - I am curious, I like most of what you say but you seem dead set against U4. How about meeting for lunch sometime at your convenience since I am retired and only have a few obligations on time. I would like to meet the person behind the words. You could invite Tacoma if that is ok.

I did, and even still do speak to mostly with Ray Bloxham at SUWA pretty regularly and we'll regularly get in 40 minute discussions all about 4WD access.

I was tired of most of the rhetoric that was going around and thought it would be nice to see some cooperation, also little did I know I would be opening up a huge can of worms as there is a long list of (failed) attempts to work together. I think it is like any group where some people are easier to approach than others and Ray is one of them whereas some of his peers may not be. I'm sure it is the same as well on our end in many regards. In this case Ray even rallies around in an old 4Runner (basically 4 wheeling) with a couple hundred thousand old miles and knows a lot of the roads and areas as well as even Kurt Williams. Imagine if he has a decent suspension.. He also wanted to come on one of our 4 Wheel 'expeditions' with us this spring (sort of in an effort to get people together) but had a permit for the Grand Canyon and couldn't turn it down (that is no easy permit to get).

So anyway, I think it is doable to make some inroads in these avenues but it is pretty hard. I encountered significant resistance from both sides on pulling anyone together but I will say Ray was and probably would be willing to meet with anyone on it.

But all in all it is difficult, about as easy as it is to stop conflict on Israeli-Palestinian or soem of the hot bed issues we're seeing right now right now.

I hope it helps. I have Ray's cell and would be happy to put you or anyone together and would also still be happy to set up a meeting any time if folks feel it could be use.

Andre

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bump for Jack (and Andre & Steve),

Jack, I would love to see if we could arrange a meeting with SUWA. You still interested? I know Tacoma said he wouldn't mind shaking hands. Dre or Steve, interested? LMK

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I would be totally interested in that. My emails have gone ignored. :D However, I've found that is not always indicative of an unreachable common ground.