Swing set options? Wood? Lifetime?

Toad

So the wife informed me we NEED a swing set. Of course it cant be a basic swing set. It has to be a pimp one. She wants a slide, climbing wall, yada yada yada. I have looked at several options. Mainly wondering about construction options. First is a wood one from Costco or Sams Club. One of those places. It is about a grand. My concern with the wood is the maintenance with it. Sealing it. wood rotting out etc. Second option is a Lifetime swing set. I just called and it is on sale through Tuesday. 1380.00 bucks. Is it worth the extra cash to buy the lifetime one?

http://www.lifetime.com/gallery/playground/playsets-and-swing-sets/a-frame-playset/90042

Last edited:

Toad

Not as many as you would think. That was my first thought also. The lifetime ones go quick. Wood ones show up but most of them have not been sealed and look pretty hammered.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I bought a wood one from Costco and wish I had spent more and done lifetime. I will be spraying my wood one once a year starting this spring.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
We have the plane and helicopter from lifetime and I am pretty impressed with the quality.

Plus the boys love them. So in my book good money spent.

rholbrook

There is a reason it's called lifetime. I bought a lifetime with some swings, slide, platform and ladder thing on top you hang from. I built a climbing wall on it and sole it 10 years latter for a little less than I bought it for. It was on KSL for less than 10 min. If you can afford lifetime, get it

Tonkaman

I helped a friend assemble a big wooden play set a few weeks back. It took us about 12 hours and lots of power tools to fix the poorly made set. I think he bought it at Home Depot and no drilling or cutting was supposed to be needed. I would never do another one

Toad

I helped a friend assemble a big wooden play set a few weeks back. It took us about 12 hours and lots of power tools to fix the poorly made set. I think he bought it at Home Depot and no drilling or cutting was supposed to be needed. I would never do another one

I was reading the reviews on the wood one my wife likes. They were talking about the massive amount of hours to assembly the blasted thing. I am not going to spend 12 plus hours to set up a swing set. The lifetime one is looking like the winner.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My neighbor bought a wood one two springs ago for his kids and I remember him back there all day Saturday and most of Sunday with his dad putting it together. He told me over the fence that paying someone to build it would have been worth it. He hasn't done any maintenance on it (going into its third summer now) and it looks like its ten years old.

I'm considering a shed right now and am debating shelling out the money for a lifetime vs building one myself. I'm not going to make that decision for a few more months but I for sure see the long term value of buying a quality plastic one.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Wood playset at our house. Flexes, creaks, gives slivers, needs painting, etc. ive never dealt with lifetime, but don't recommend a wood set.