IH T-90 3-speed - Rebuild or Changeout?

Rocketman

Got a '70 Scout 800A with AMC I-6 232 mated to a T-90 3 speed that is fried. I'm considering either rebuilding or putting something else behind the I-6 (for now the 232 will stay). I've pulled the T-90 apart and EVERYTHING needs to be replaced (cluster gears, 1-3 gears and synchros are all punk).

Wondering if I should be spending my $$ on an alternative gearbox, or if I should rebuild and replace what I got. I'll go either way, but don't want to miss a great opportunity to source a better box since now's the time. I run mostly medium trails and mud, with very light rockcrawling since I am running 35's with a 4" lift and the 232 only gives so much. Dana 44 rear rear, 30 front 3.73 gears and Dana 20 t-case.

Would appreciate any opinions on what options are out there if the T-90 isn't the way to go

radjeeper

"Why You Say"
Depends. What is your budget? Best low buck solution is to find a good used T-90 and put it in. Of course a heavy duty 4 speed with a granny low would be nice but it creates a domino effect. Just finished up this exact swap for a customer in a '73 CJ-5. He went from a T-14 3 speed to a CJ-5 T-18 4 speed. Things that had to change were front and rear drive shafts modified, clutch, clutch linkage, modify crossmember, modify tranny tunnel cover, etc. If you can find junk yard parts out of a Scout that will bolt up to yours that might help. Do some internet research first to see what is the easiest and best route to go.