Tent trailer undercoating

airmanwilliams

So crawling under my tent trailer I can see that all of the plywood flooring is exposed to the elements. Have any of you coated this with anything? Bedliner, rubberized undercoat, paint?

pELYgroso

'Merica
Roof tar would be miserable. I would go to a roofing supplier and get a coating like gaco. Make sure the wood is clean, and slather on the coating using a roller and a brush. Get the best quality product. Each brand has a couple different levels of quality. You get what you pay for with that stuff. Do multiple coats. It will last for years.

airmanwilliams

Thanks guys. Planning on crawling under there to sand it all down and make it pretty before applying anything and will be cleaning the axle and frame while im under it. I want to make sure I dont see any rust and that this trailer is sealed and coated all over before I take it out.

skeptic

I'd just use rubberized car under coating, that's what it's designed for. That or maybe a thick rubberized spray on bed liner if you think it needs extra protection getting bounced around on rocks and such.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
If the flooring is original, the manufacturer treats the wood and expects it to stay exposed. Other wise moisture can't escape the wood and could rot sooner than untreated.