The 2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks like Suzuki has made some nice changes to the V-Strom 650 for 2015, including the addition of an XT model which now comes with wire spoke wheels, for better durability offroad and wheels that soak up bumps and vibes better than cast wheels. Suzuki has also added a 'beak' to the front end, stealing some ideas from BMW. Sounds like a lot of people don't like it, but I think it looks pretty good!

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product Lines/Cycles/Products/V-Strom 650/2015/DL650XA.aspx

2015 V-Strom 650XT ABS

More Versatile, More Adventure.

For 2015, the all new V-Strom 650XT ABS is here to expand your field in adventure touring. Equipped with the improved performance of the original V-Strom 650 ABS and the accessories of the V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure, the new V-Strom 650XT ABS has more adventurous styling with a new distinctive front beak with integrated air ducts that lead air to the wind directing plates for improved cooling performance and aluminum reverse spoke wheels for better shock absorption and a comfortable ride. The wide range of accessories included are an adjustable windscreen, newly designed sleek aluminum side cases, and a rugged accessory engine bar that make it comfortable and versatile. The 645cc V-Twin engine with exceptional low-to-mid rpm performance combined with striking accessories and unique styling, conveys an adventurous spirit.

2015-Suzuki-V-Strom-650XT-DL650XAL5.jpg

I think this would be a great road-oriented adventure bike with Japanese reliability, good MPG's and smooth road manors. :cool:

boogie_4wheel

That 'looks' more offroad worthy than the previous models, but is it really?

I've been wanting to get an adv bike for a little while now. Since it will be replacing my VTX, I need to get a bike that can slab for days as well as dirt. I was thinking the 1200GS fit the need, but they are money. Then thought more along the lines of a 990... still big money. Maybe I should get cheaper one; Yamaha Super Tenere? They have horrible ground clearance but do have cruise and shaft drive, Hmmmm...

I did ride a V-Strom 1k a few years back, I wasn't very impressed. I think this could be a good dual purpose bike, but the smaller displacement scares me. 650cc just doesn't seem like enough to run the interstate with a load (my VTX is an 1800 so power is not an issue). Maybe I need to test ride one of these again and try to get a few miles on it. I am curious about it, but afraid it won't do everything I want it to do.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I told Ann I would stop racing if she would buy me an 1190. Looks like I am still going to race.

You're going about this all wrong Paul, you need to tell her you need a 1190 to TRAIN on, since it makes 3x the power and probably weighs 3x as much as your 300. Just imagine what kind of rider you'll be after spending time in the saddle of the 1190!

That 'looks' more offroad worthy than the previous models, but is it really?

I've been wanting to get an adv bike for a little while now. Since it will be replacing my VTX, I need to get a bike that can slab for days as well as dirt. I was thinking the 1200GS fit the need, but they are money. Then thought more along the lines of a 990... still big money. Maybe I should get cheaper one; Yamaha Super Tenere? They have horrible ground clearance but do have cruise and shaft drive, Hmmmm...

I did ride a V-Strom 1k a few years back, I wasn't very impressed. I think this could be a good dual purpose bike, but the smaller displacement scares me. 650cc just doesn't seem like enough to run the interstate with a load (my VTX is an 1800 so power is not an issue). Maybe I need to test ride one of these again and try to get a few miles on it. I am curious about it, but afraid it won't do everything I want it to do.

Of all the bikes you listed, IMO the 990 is about the only one that's capable of riding over anymore than a dirt road... V-Strom included. I had an older 650 V-Strom and loved the bike for covering lots of miles, but it's not capable on anything more than a rough road and I don't think this new one is much different. Power-wise, the 650 wasn't crazy but plenty of power to keep a smile on my face and run down the highway/freeway at 80 MPH. The GS1200 and Super Tenere are both MASSIVE bikes... sure they can be ridden offroad, but you're working you butt off keeping them upright.

I love my 990 Adventure, but it's not nearly as smooth on the road as the V-Strom. IMO there is no one single bike out there that's good at everything, it just doesn't exist. Anything good on the road won't be as good offroad and vice versa. There will always be a compromise, you have to decide what you're happy with.... or have 2-3 different bikes. :greg: I've been considering this V-Strom for bigger road-oriented trips and unfortunately would have to sell my 990 to make that happen... but that's HARD to commit to, as the 990 is silly fun and capable on and offroad. I've ridden my 990 Adventure to over 13k feet elevation on Imogene Pass, up to the Canadian border and back and don't know of many other bikes that could do both those with so much style. I've jumped my 990 several times and it even does that OK... :rofl: