the $20k XJ

Badger

I am the Brute squad
You have to love people that think their vehicle is the sum of all the parts. Just because it's a clean low miles XJ that might book value out at 5~6000 if your lucky adding another 10,000 in parts and labor doesn't mean it's worth that. Guy will be lucky to get 6 for it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
I'm not even sure there's $20k invested in that thing. It's not like it's that nice :/

I could see that thing going for $5k. Maybe $6k if it's really clean in person. Not that I'd ever pay that amount of money for an XJ anyways but some people are into that

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
I'll buy a nice used LR3 for that price and never think twice. that is just a car on solid axles. no frame, no V8, a bunch of bolt on crap. Sorry Jeep Lovers, its the truth, I owned Commander and 94 GC. Those bodies scare me anytime they flex

sixstringsteve

I agree that it's overpriced, but I don't agree with people challenging his price in his for sale thread. This thread is just fine, but people on ExPo shouldn't feel compelled to be the price police and destroy any chance he has of selling it there. Is it grossly overpriced? Absolutely, without a doubt. Just don't challenge his price in his thread. I know we all think our rigs are $20k better spent than the next guy, but a FS thread probably isn't the place to state that.

N-Smooth

I'll buy a nice used LR3 for that price and never think twice. that is just a car on solid axles. no frame, no V8, a bunch of bolt on crap. Sorry Jeep Lovers, its the truth, I owned Commander and 94 GC. Those bodies scare me anytime they flex

And didn't you say it yourself that owning a LR is not for everyone? That may be one vehicle that is more expensive to maintain and even less reliable than a Jeep. I'm just saying it's apples and oranges, no offense man.

I agree that it's overpriced, but I don't agree with people challenging his price in his for sale thread. This thread is just fine, but people on ExPo shouldn't feel compelled to be the price police and destroy any chance he has of selling it there. Is it grossly overpriced? Absolutely, without a doubt. Just don't challenge his price in his thread. I know we all think our rigs are $20k better spent than the next guy, but a FS thread probably isn't the place to state that.

I bite my tongue till it bleeds when I see some sale threads but at the end of the day it's their vehicle and what I think it's worth is irrelevant. I know my rig is probably in the $1k range and I don't care, it's fun and I don't have a whole lot more than that into it.

sixstringsteve

I know my rig is probably in the $1k range and I don't care, it's fun and I don't have a whole lot more than that into it.

I have $100 shoes that will go anywhere your XJ will go, so I'm better. ;)

Just kidding, I love your rig. and $1000 for a rig like that is crazy good.

N-Smooth

Yeah and they probably aren't as squeaky either. Me and Brian were talking about it and I think I'm into my XJ, '12 Ram (tow rig) and car-hauler less than he is into his JK Rubi.

EDIT: and he doesn't feel even a little bad about it cause he loves his JK and it's a good all-around rig. It's a cool rig for sure and I love the way he uses it.

Last edited:

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
i'll take retail on my vehicle. i know my mods didn't make with worth more. its mechanically sound, that is all that sells a car. I never pay for "mods". I have never met a car dealership that gives a crap that I put expensive rimz on my beater to try and get another $10K out of it.

The only reason i own my vehicle:

I paid $5000 under book value
V8
4 speed auto
Solid Axles
Leather
SUV
Frame
Coil Springs

This vehicle checked off all the major boxes in a vehicle i was looking for at the time. This is the longest i have ever owned a vehicle.

Like I've said, I've owned 3 jeeps. 2 of which were unibody. I do not like the unibody for the longevity of the vehicle used off road.

But back on topic. i think the dude is insane with that asking price......CRACKPIPE!

http://jalopnik.com/for-15-000-fake-a-cargasm-1479531411