The 25 year rule: Which car would you import?

Cascadia

Undecided
Just asking. I have seen quite a few rhd and Japanese versions of Hondas and Acura. Legit ones with papers, not conversions. Are these illegal then? How are they registered if not?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I know there is a way to do it, I never looked too far into it when I was stationed overseas but I know there are legal ways to import a car.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
There is legal-legal, and then there is grey market legal... i.e. they are here and they are titled but they don't meet EPA compliance (which says 25 years) and could be subject to expulsion and or forfiture. I have dozens of customers in both categories and I myself have a legal JDM import Land Cruiser (and more en route ;)). All depends on how much $$$ you have, how much risk your willing to take and how sneaky you want to be about something. I want to use my Cruisers, advertise my Cruisers and allow customers to see them as well, thus anything I do is 100% US import legal.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Shooting from the hip here, not much thought:

Peugeot 205 T16
Audi S1 Quattro Sport
Nissan Skyline R32
Toyota AE86 (JDM Spec)
Lada Niva
Lancia Delta S4 Stradale
Ford Sierra RS Cosworth
Ford RS200
MG Metro 6R4

List could go on.

Rock Taco

Here are a few.

70 series land crusier

2nd gen nissan skyline gtr (prefer 1971)
1970-Nissan-Skyline-GT-R-S45-2.jpg

1969 or later toyota 2000gt
toyota 2000gt.jpg

skeptic

I dunno, maybe a TVR S? As cool as some old Euro/JDM cars may be I think the US is entering a good period of time for cars. I know, loss of Hummer and some GM brands, but look at cars in general. You have companies like Hyundai selling a ~350hp RWD coupe for under $35k. Mustang/Camaro/Challenger battles. Subaru BRZ/Toyota FR-S. Sporty AWD?? We now get the Evo, WRX and STi. Not to mention all the other AWD cars out there..

Maybe I'm just soured on classic cars. I can't think of a single 25+ year old car that was never imported to the US that I'd consider buying over a much newer car that's already here.