The camp chair conundrum

pELYgroso

'Merica
I need to invest in some decent camp chairs (2 of them). We've had the cheapo chairs that every store sells for $10-$20 and I'm tired of them wearing out. Here is what I'd like in a chair:

-Around $100-ish max (Ideally closer to the $50 mark)
-I'd love them to fold down similar to the cheapo chairs but not a MUST for the right chair.
-I like chairs that are built so that you are leaned back a little while sitting.
-High back is preferred. Something that i can rest my head on.
-Able to hold my wife and I (her on my lap) is a bonus.
-Arm rests
-Cup holder would be nice

-I don't need this to be an ultra light backpacking chair but something relatively packable onto the back of the sxs or in the underneath storage area of the camper.

What have you guys used that you like?

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
ARB is the only way to go...

ARB chairs are awesome. They are just large when packing

By once cry once. Can't lean back in them, but are by far the most comfortable camp chair i've ever sat in. I've had mine I think for 5 years now and they show no signs of wear or failure. As mentioned they are a bit bulky packed away, and can be a bit of a pain to setup/takedown once they get a little dirt in them. That being said I love mine, and if they ever fail i'll buy another without thinking.

DAA

I'm totally not a fan of the ARB chairs, personally... They are heavy, cumbersome, not quick to deploy or stow, take up a chit ton of storage space for a chair, nothing special in the comfort dept. Honestly, I just don't see the appeal. Nothing going for them at all, really, that I can see? They say ARB on them, I guess?

All that said... I do have camp chairs I think are superior in every one of those categories. But, I don't know where to get them anymore and I've looked. They are a director style chair though. A lot lighter, take up less space, way faster and way easier to deploy and stow than ARB's and to me definitely more comfortable too. Mine have stood up to more than 15 years of total abuse and neglect and literally tens of thousands of miles of bad road with other gear on top of, sliding around on, and banging into them and still kicking. Though they are starting to look a bit frayed now, I don't think they'll go another 10 years. Drying them out over camp fires probably hasn't been the best idea. But, they are at least as and probably more durable than the overly complicated ARB chairs.

Seriously though, have seen and used those ARB's quite a bit, pretty familiar with them, can't fathom why they are so popular. I personally think they kinda suck?

- DAA

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I have a couple ARB chairs and like them a lot, although I will agree with DAA that they are less convenient than others. And they are large when folded.

I have been pretty impressed with Mesha's Helinox chairs. They are more expensive than most, and are a bit harder to set up--but they are very comfortable, and amazingly small when folded up.

It's this type of deal:

a1900030-campc.jpg

DAA

And I should not have said "kinda suck". That's not true. They don't suck.

I just think there are better ones out there that address all of what I see as shortcomings in them.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm totally not a fan of the ARB chairs, personally... They are heavy, cumbersome, not quick to deploy or stow, take up a chit ton of storage space for a chair, nothing special in the comfort dept. Honestly, I just don't see the appeal. Nothing going for them at all, really, that I can see? They say ARB on them, I guess?

All that said... I do have camp chairs I think are superior in every one of those categories. But, I don't know where to get them anymore and I've looked. They are a director style chair though. A lot lighter, take up less space, way faster and way easier to deploy and stow than ARB's and to me definitely more comfortable too. Mine have stood up to more than 15 years of total abuse and neglect and literally tens of thousands of miles of bad road with other gear on top of, sliding around on, and banging into them and still kicking. Though they are starting to look a bit frayed now, I don't think they'll go another 10 years. Drying them out over camp fires probably hasn't been the best idea. But, they are at least as and probably more durable than the overly complicated ARB chairs.

Seriously though, have seen and used those ARB's quite a bit, pretty familiar with them, can't fathom why they are so popular. I personally think they kinda suck?

- DAA

I agree with you Dave, I bought a pair and took them to Baja and they were very large and cumbersome.... they haven't been out since, we took our cheaper, smaller chairs on the recent Rubicon trip and the smaller size was welcome.

Caleb

I have a couple ARB chairs and like them a lot, although I will agree with DAA that they are less convenient than others. And they are large when folded.

I have been pretty impressed with Mesha's Helinox chairs. They are more expensive than most, and are a bit harder to set up--but they are very comfortable, and amazingly small when folded up.

It's this type of deal:

a1900030-campc.jpg

We have the Helinox low-boy ground chairs (not sure what they're called really). They look very similar to this but without the legs. We take them everywhere. I can fit two chairs in just about anything and are super light. They are a bit more expensive, but worth every penny. Ours are very simple to setup too, take less than a minute and only slightly longer to put away.

Quick video showing the ground chair.
[video=youtube;aje1Lxicn6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aje1Lxicn6E[/video]

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I've sat in those Helinox chairs at REI and they feel comfy, how are the legs in soft ground? I'd be worried that they'd sink.

Caleb

I've considered one of those Helinox grounds for short backpacking trips in the Uintas.

- DAA

We bought ours originally for when we hiked the narrows last year. Super nice to have a real chair to sit in when we setup camp for the night. We've used them for everything since (beach, camping, drive-in, at the pool, outdoor concerts, etc).

ricsrx

good timing for this topic, we are going to a family reunion this weekend and i was just thinking how much i dis like the cheepo fold up camp chairs that we have....

where can i look at or purchase Helinox chairs?

Caleb

We bought ours through Backcountry, but most outdoor stores have them (Cabelas, REI, etc). They pack up small, so their entire display is usually pretty small so it's easy to miss them.

pELYgroso

'Merica
Thanks for all of the input guys!

For those of you who have and like the Helinox chairs, do any of you have the "beach chair" https://www.campman.com/camping-hik...K9z2PpEFDSg77HRqbtlI47souC6K0crswnxoCvY_w_wcB

This one looks really comfy! I tried their normal chairs a few months ago at preppercon, and I definitely agree that they're super comfy! This high backed version looks insanely comfy!

I may have to head over to Cabelas to try their options as well.