The dusty half dozen +1 vs. Mineral Basin/Mary Ellen Gulch

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
Let me set the scene for you. It's 1933, and a storm is blowing in, but it's not a rain storm, no sir. It's a dust storm.
dust.jpg

Okay, it wasn't really that bad. It wasn't the panhandle of Texas in the thirties. Even still, there was people, dirty desperate people camped along the road, being covered in silt. Ears assaulted by dirt bikes and quads and cars and trucks and... you get the picture.
But not me buddy. No way. I went up far enough that I couldn't see anyone in any direction, and that's where I hung my hammock, burned some wood, ate food from a can and slept like a cat. That is to say with one eye open because I still can't sleep outside comfortably. Goodness knows I have tried. Maybe it's because I am alone, or maybe it's because I am afraid I will be visited by a bear. :rofl:
I slept a few, fitful hours. But I was up and around at six in the morning, leaving me plenty of time to kill before meeting up at Ten.
At the appointed time, several people showed up, we accumulated two extra Jeeps who wanted to tag along, and we were on our way. We never found the guy in the black zj who was to meet us near the Forest Lake turnout, so we went up towards Mineral Basin.
mikecj5.jpg

Mike, in his CJ-5 that he has owned since it was new in 1979, showed us how it got done back in the day. He motored on through a lot of things I didn't think he could, but eventually he became my passenger when his transfer case revolted and refused to provide juice to the front axle in low range. Low range is crucial for those of us in wee Jeeps. Mike was excellent company, and we laughed and cringed together as I coaxed my nearly stock Rubicon up Mineral Basin, nearly dumping him out once as we teetered on the brink of rolling over.
I brought a better camera, but forgot to charge the battery, so I took all of these with my phone. Speaking of pictures, let see some more pictures, shall we?
toy1.jpg

yj1.jpg

ram1.jpg

This is Medsker's Power Wagon, a real workhorse for sure. It would probably have hauled three of our Jeeps up most of Mineral Basin without breaking a sweat, but a large rock laid one of it's skid plates down low. By the way, that's not Medsker under the truck, he accepted a volunteer to remove the offending skid plate. :D Good people here, you know?
So with the "Large Rock Modification, he was prevented from steering, which I hear is something you want to be able to do easily when you are piloting a barge through rocky trails. :greg: Seriously, I like the cut of this guy's gib, he drives this truck like he means it, it is striped, dented, missing bits, oh, and it's a 2011 with about 4000 miles on the odometer. Most of these trucks are living a pampered life cruising to the mall, but not this one. It's being put to the test. It's a pretty sweet machine. It too was to be parked for the last parts of Mineral Basin however, as there was blood in the water, and the rocks had a taste of Power Wagon already. It and the CJ-5 were stowed safely and we were off to have lunch.
slab.jpg

cali1.jpg

This fellow came all the way from Caifornia! We just met him in the parking area at Tibble Fork Reservoir, and he joined us. His rig is adorned with California dents, they are slightly more liberal than the dents you get here. Just saying. :D
toy2.jpg

We took a lot of breaks for one thing or another, not that it was a bad thing. I was getting properly abused by my seat belt, and I welcomed the frequent chances to get out. Besides, the scenery here is AMAZING. Incredibly awesome. Some of you might be used to this, but some of my dreams came true today, and you all got to be part of it. It was really moving, you have no idea. I have long dreamed of wheeling in Utah, in the mountains. Really, thanks.

Venture's TJ is NUTS! :eek: It's so full of awesome fabrication, I barely know where to begin. Everywhere I looked on this Jeep was another custom one off doodad. I don't know if this Jeep has a build thread here, but WOW pretty much sums up my impressions. I think someone got some better pictures of this rig, mine were mostly blurry or crooked. It's as though I have one really short leg.

Last edited:

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
More pictures already!
tjtoy1.jpg

My hood makes a lot of cameos in these photos. :p
mineralbasin1.jpg

toy3.jpg

After enough jawing of food and words, we were off to Mary Ellen Gulch. This trail is different enough from the others to be worth the out and back trip, even though it's not really difficult. What's different is how it is unrelenting in it's rockiness. For most of the trail, you don't get a break from the jostling and jarring, and it's severe enough that you have to go pretty slow, but the rocks are small enough that you think you can go faster. Ugh. Fun though. I completely failed to take pictures of most of this trail. DOH!
mikecj52.jpg

See that tiny CJ-5 shaped dot? Mike decided to leave his CJ-5 when the rocks started to be about the size of his tires, remember his transfer case had second thoughts about low range.
ram2.jpg

There is still just a bit of snow near the top, which made me think I should have brought my snowboard. I threw a lot of snowballs for the dog, who was absolutely beside himself. Before we left, he learned to slide down the hill like an otter. :rofl:

cabin1.jpg

Just beyond the mine is a cabin, which was gross, and interesting. It looked like a real fixer upper. :rofl:
cabin2.jpg

caution.jpg

I don't know how they supplied electricity to the place, but it had lights, plumbing, the works. I don't know how well it works though. But, at least there was a "CAUTION" sign.
rack.jpg

Someone spent a lot of time on this rack, so it must have been important in some way. It's purpose is not really clear though. It is one of the nicest things in the whole place however.

And while my TJ did just fine all day, when I hit the pavement, things went south quickly.
towhome.jpg

I lost a bearing cap from an axle shaft U-joint. :confused:
You can imagine the racket it makes without one. I drove so slowly, I am pretty sure someone behind me once wanted to run me off the road. I pulled over a bunch of times on the way out to let people pass, but we all had to stop for the sobriety checkpoint. There was so many police cars and the huge trailer with the pole lights that I thought they had decided to stage a Search and Rescue on the road.:p
I wanted to get out of the canyon, so I could get some dinner while waiting for a tow truck, so I ate at Subway, and strung my hammock between the Jeep and a tree. I will pull that axle again, and take it to Six States this time. ;)

I know some of you had nicer cameras, it would be nice to see some of those pictures too.

Last edited:

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
This hastily planned trip was a success on several levels. It's impressive how a group of strangers can get together and have a pretty good day wheeling with so little planning.
This was my first group off road experience in Utah, and I felt that it was a pretty darn good one. Thank you all, really. Especially for finding my phone, in my Jeep. Ha ha ha!
And finally, the casualty rate was low. Always a good thing.

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Awesome write up! I agree it was a great run. I do think I may be getting to old to go all day though:D

My guess on the rack is it was used by the employees as a mail/identifier. I've heard back in the day everyone would have a tag. When they went to the mine they would take the tag with them, when they came back they would hang it back up. This made it easy for the mine boss to see if there was still people in the mine. I'm also curious if this is correct. Kurt probably knows exactly what it is and hopefully he will chime in.

Medsker

Last edited:

dentedvw

uıɐƃɐ ʇɐɥʇ op ʇ,uoʍ ı
I like that idea Medsker, but there are so many slots, it seems like too many. Maybe the mine was bigger than it seemed though. Could also be that it was brought over from a larger mine .

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Awesome write up! I agree it was a great run. I do think I may be getting to old to go all day though:D

My guess on the rack is it was used by the employees as a mail/identifier. I've heard back in the day everyone would have a tag. When they went to the mine they would take the tag with them, when they came back they would hang it back up. This made it easy for the mine boss to see if there was still people in the mine. I'm also curious if this is correct. Kurt probably knows exactly what it is and hopefully he will chime in.

Medsker

Medsker, did you get your truck home? Have trailer, will travel.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Power came to MEG via Pole Line Pass from Snake Creek near Wasatch State Park. While powering the 'Hilton' was a nice byproduct of power in the canyon, running oppressors, lights in the mine and the tram was higher importance. A trained eye can still spot the tram working that once went from he Live Yankee mine in MEG to present day Tibble Fork Reservoir.

ROKAHLC

Hey guys, I split early because my clutch master cylinder cracked and I lost the clutch fluid. I had a great time though and look forward to wheeling with you all again.

I just replaced the master cylinder. The part install was easy. The bleeding and adjusting took a while.

Medsker

2024 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 392
Power came to MEG via Pole Line Pass from Snake Creek near Wasatch State Park. While powering the 'Hilton' was a nice byproduct of power in the canyon, running oppressors, lights in the mine and the tram was higher importance. A trained eye can still spot the tram working that once went from he Live Yankee mine in MEG to present day Tibble Fork Reservoir.

So do you know what that rack is for with all the slots?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
So do you know what that rack is for with all the slots?

To the best of my knowledge it wad simply parts bins, the mines are a long trip from a hardware store. Nuts, bolts, hydraulic fittings, rail parts, mucker parts, tram part, etc. Unfortunately the last few years have represented the most vandalism since the Hilton was las occupied in the 80's by a local mining that was working the Silver Bell mine near the head of the canyon.

Venture13

Great write up, awesome information. There are some fun trails up in AF Canyon for sure. MEG has a really nasty trail up the stream area, perhaps when the snow melts it will be a great challenge.

Power Wagon was fun to watch, drive it hard... Then put a plug in the side wall.. lol

Tread Lightly.. :)

Last edited:

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Hmmm, how did you guys get so close to the lift at Snowbird, was the gate not closed? We were up there today but had to turn around just above the rock garden by the popular lunch spot. I kept losing 4wd and did most of it in 2wd, seems I need to replace a spring that helps with the engagement. I felt like a helpless idiot for holding the group back, but they were glad to lend a strap over the last obstacle in the rock garden. Jeep folks are a great bunch and it was fun to "talk shop" while we had lunch.

Badger

I am the Brute squad
So I guess I'm the only one that sees it!!!!!

Good thing the FS asked that people stop and not proceed after reaching snow drifts across trails. Also nice to see that you guys have no regard for staying on trail. Several of the videos and pictures here have you clearly driving on grass areas that are not part of the trail.........way to go guys in helping the cause.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
So I guess I'm the only one that sees it!!!!!

Good thing the FS asked that people stop and not proceed after reaching snow drifts across trails. Also nice to see that you guys have no regard for staying on trail. Several of the videos and pictures here have you clearly driving on grass areas that are not part of the trail.........way to go guys in helping the cause.

Good eyes, mine were a bit tired and full of dust when I posted last night. There are some plate numbers visible in a few of the pictures....

Badger

I am the Brute squad
I don't mean to be a *****....I know I haven't really done my part as far as getting out there and helping the cause by doing things like PLD, but damn posting pictures of yourself clearly disrespecting the land that later you'll ***** about getting taken away is just awesome. I sure these people read the same threads and post I have about Mineral/American Fork Canyon. I know I clearly remember reading in the letter from Pleasant Grove FS not to go beyond snow drifts or to go around snow drift. Hell I was up there the same day even early then your group. On the way down we pass a group sitting in front of Forest Lake trail reading the posted letter stating it's closed. As we drive by we stop and tell them it's still closed. They return with a "really?", did you not just read the sign on the frigin post? Not to mention the large boulders across both sides of the river. Does it really take a second thought just driving by and seeing the rocks across the path to think it's still closed?

All 4wheel drive forum boards are watched for this exact type of crap. Back in New Jersey I was on a very small forum board. All it took was one season of wheeling and posting picture of vehicles driving through streams and mud to get a good portion of the state forest closed to vehicles. Who knows if it will ever get reopened again. Thanks to one wet season. The areas that were wheeled were legal areas when they were dry but when covered in some 2ft+ of water it was supposed to be no go. Well many were ignorant to it or just chose not to adhere to it for a bit of fun. The fun cost the sport(not just trucks) the ability to use the area ever again.

I haven't had a Jeep/truck to wheel in some 4+ years. I would really hate to lose these areas over some stupid pictures/videos. I do want to own a truck again in the future and have a use for it other then driving some 4+ hours to go to Moab.