Jeep The RME4x4 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Some measurements;

Rock slider to ground @ t-case crossmember - 17 1/2"

Bottom of receiver hitch to ground - 17 1/2"

Updated after Teraflex 3.5" RT3 suspension and 39" tires;

Rock slider to ground @ t-case crossmember - 22 1/2" (+ 5")

Bottom of receiver hitch to ground - 22 1/2" ( +5")

Pretty interesting that with the lift and 39" tires, it's really only 5" higher than stock. That doesn't seem right, but the #'s don't lie.

Overall height ground to hardtop is 6' 5" tall.

Far as the gearing/speed/RPM's, the Rubicon Gladiators still have 4.10 gears in the diffs. The OD ratio in the ZF 8HP is pretty high at .67, so running at 75 MPH (GPS verified speed) the Pentastar is turning around 2,100 RPM. It seems like the engine prefers more speed to pull the gearing 8th has, 80 MPH seems better in 8th gear

And some interesting gearing & RPM info, comparing stock (with 4.10's and 33's) to 5.13's and 39's;

I know some people think 5.13's are too deep for 39/40" tires, but I think they're ideal and bring the RPM back to where the engine runs stock, with 4.10's. It's turning just a little more RPM, which will help keep it in it's happy place with the heavier tires & taller profile. I did notice that the transmission held 8th gear even on smaller hills at 70+ MPH. It would drop to 7th on bigger hills. And driving up Solider Summit with the cruise control set at 65 MPH, it would drop down to 5th gear at 4,000 RPM on the steepest hills, then it would upshift into 6th and hold it well, while maintaining speed up those big climbs.

2400 RPM @ 80 MPH in 8th gear.
2050 RPM @ 70 MPH in 8th gear.

Also, some MPG info after a roadtrip to SLC and back with around 600 miles on the new build.

At 75+ MPH the engine seems to average 14 MPG.
If I keep it under 70 MPH, it'll average 15-16 MPG.
And if I keep it under 55 MPH, it'll average 18 MPG.

Those are pretty impressive numbers considering it's spinning 39's! :eek:

Greg

Admin
[37” tall 39’s 🤐]
Haha, at least that’s what my km3’s measure out to with 24psi or so… my reds measure about 37 as well. Sure wish they were truer to size…

The DOT BFG's have always measured smaller, while their race tires are closer to advertised size. My used 39" Krawlers are 38.5" mounted up with weight on them.

20220220_165942.jpg

That said, my KM3's come in 37 1/2" with weight on the tire. With no weight on them, they come is at 38". They're still a big ass tire!

20220220_170015.jpg

Greg

Admin
The 16" or rear suspension travel with the Extended Travel Suspension System from Teraflex is no joke! Those are pretty impressive numbers, for a proper desert prerunner! :eek:

20220220_151634-X2.jpg

20220220_151643-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
Spent yesterday on the trail with @mbryson @UPNO4 and their kids, it was neat to see the next generation out wheeling their own Jeeps, picking lines and doing their best.

I was finally able to get the Gladiator out on the trail and test it all out after the recent mods. The Gladiator worked very well, I ran Sevenmile Rim in October and was able to compare the previous setup with the 1.5" Teraflex Leveling Kit and 37's to the 3.5" TeraFlex RT3 suspension and 39's. It was a noticeable improvement all the way around, I scraped less of course and the 39's really helped the Gladiator roll up and over the big rocky ledges.

One thing I was worried about was tire clearance with the 39's and bump stop settings, turns out I need another inch of bump stop on the front end. The driveshaft was getting into the upper control arm at full stuff. It's good to know and an easy fix. Otherwise, I had no other problems!

20220312_133550-X2.jpg

20220312_133517-X2.jpg

20220312_133527-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
Did a quick video about the TeraFlex Nomad wheels on the Gladiator. Very happy after adding these to our Jeep, the Rock Rash Ring protects the outer wheel surface and is easily replaced, the knurled beat seat keeps your tires locked on the wheel at low pressure and the rapid air deflate valve makes dropping air pressure a simple operation... these wheels are built strong for wheeling and look great!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Did a quick video about the TeraFlex Nomad wheels on the Gladiator. Very happy after adding these to our Jeep, the Rock Rash Ring protects the outer wheel surface and is easily replaced, the knurled beat seat keeps your tires locked on the wheel at low pressure and the rapid air deflate valve makes dropping air pressure a simple operation... these wheels are built strong for wheeling and look great!

Hrrrmmmm..... I think I'll try some out myself. Very persuasive video @Greg

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
[37” tall 39’s 🤐]
Haha, at least that’s what my km3’s measure out to with 24psi or so… my reds measure about 37 as well. Sure wish they were truer to size…

The DOT BFG's have always measured smaller, while their race tires are closer to advertised size. My used 39" Krawlers are 38.5" mounted up with weight on them.

That said, my KM3's come in 37 1/2" with weight on the tire. With no weight on them, they come is at 38". They're still a big ass tire!

As a refresher on tire sizing and how it is measured, you can read this post I made in response to a very similar question:

A few main points:
1. The OD and Section width are measured on the design rim for the dimension. The OD measurement is taken at the center of the tread.
2. The measurements are taken on the mounted tire at a pressure which is probably about 85% of the tire pressure written on the sidewall. The tire IS NOT loaded - thus, measuring your tire at your pressure when it is mounted on your vehicle and loaded is NOT the same as making the measurement from which the tire specifications are generated.
3. The tread depth WILL have an impact on the overall diameter. In certain aspects of tire performance, more tread depth is not necessarily better.
4. The measurement of these parameters are part of a tire industry standard. In the USA the standards are from the Tire and Rim Association.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
As a refresher on tire sizing and how it is measured, you can read this post I made in response to a very similar question:

A few main points:
1. The OD and Section width are measured on the design rim for the dimension. The OD measurement is taken at the center of the tread.
2. The measurements are taken on the mounted tire at a pressure which is probably about 85% of the tire pressure written on the sidewall. The tire IS NOT loaded - thus, measuring your tire at your pressure when it is mounted on your vehicle and loaded is NOT the same as making the measurement from which the tire specifications are generated.
3. The tread depth WILL have an impact on the overall diameter. In certain aspects of tire performance, more tread depth is not necessarily better.
4. The measurement of these parameters are part of a tire industry standard. In the USA the standards are from the Tire and Rim Association.
I wish they would go by circumference like the circle track guys.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Pi * OD. Easy.

Also, you can get a sense of the rolling diameter by using the RPM. The RPM doesn’t actually use the static OD because under load and rolling, the OD is different.
I meant that I wish they would list the actual circumference, since Pi * OD on the sidewall would not be an accurate dimension.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Updated after Teraflex 3.5" RT3 suspension and 39" tires;

Rock slider to ground @ t-case crossmember - 22 1/2" (+ 5")

Bottom of receiver hitch to ground - 22 1/2" ( +5")

Pretty interesting that with the lift and 39" tires, it's really only 5" higher than stock. That doesn't seem right, but the #'s don't lie.

Overall height ground to hardtop is 6' 5" tall.

And some interesting gearing & RPM info, comparing stock (with 4.10's and 33's) to 5.13's and 39's;

I know some people think 5.13's are too deep for 39/40" tires, but I think they're ideal and bring the RPM back to where the engine runs stock, with 4.10's. It's turning just a little more RPM, which will help keep it in it's happy place with the heavier tires & taller profile. I did notice that the transmission held 8th gear even on smaller hills at 70+ MPH. It would drop to 7th on bigger hills. And driving up Solider Summit with the cruise control set at 65 MPH, it would drop down to 5th gear at 4,000 RPM on the steepest hills, then it would upshift into 6th and hold it well, while maintaining speed up those big climbs.

2400 RPM @ 80 MPH in 8th gear.
2050 RPM @ 70 MPH in 8th gear.

Also, some MPG info after a roadtrip to SLC and back with around 600 miles on the new build.

At 75+ MPH the engine seems to average 14 MPG.
If I keep it under 70 MPH, it'll average 15-16 MPG.
And if I keep it under 55 MPH, it'll average 18 MPG.

Those are pretty impressive numbers considering it's spinning 39's! :eek:

I was just thinking I should look in your thread for these numbers. Thanks for posting them up.

Rock slider to ground @ t-case crossmember - 22 1/2" (+ 5")****---22.5

Bottom of receiver hitch to ground - 22 1/2" ( +5")****----22

Overall height ground to hardtop is 6' 5" tall.****----76.5

So I think this Super Lift is massive?

MTZ are 35.75" with 35 psi

Last edited: