The Rubi Q Build

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Nothing really to see here. Just a mileage update for the new battery. Cleaned off the surface rust on the battery tray and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Had to remove the air filter to get the battery out so I cleaned and oiled it while I was there.
Been running it on trails all over the phoenix area the last couple months. I have yet to find its limit, but I’m afraid of breaking so I don’t go looking too much. Next big event is making it a prop for senior pictures for Livy. 🙄

E53D3A0A-9128-487F-9CA4-42426CCD2282.jpeg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Nothing really to see here. Just a mileage update for the new battery. Cleaned off the surface rust on the battery tray and gave it a fresh coat of paint. Had to remove the air filter to get the battery out so I cleaned and oiled it while I was there.
Been running it on trails all over the phoenix area the last couple months. I have yet to find its limit, but I’m afraid of breaking so I don’t go looking too much. Next big event is making it a prop for senior pictures for Livy. 🙄

View attachment 158007
What's your address? I'll send some ducks your way for those pictures.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
The last few months have left me in a great stupor and soul searching. After much fasting, prayer, long mountain retreats, a trip to Mecca, and a visit with a rabbi (really not sure what team the jeep gods are on) I have come to the conclusion that I must have a 14 bolt SF rear axle and one form of a front JT Dana 44…if they even call them that anymore.
At the time I thought I knew what I was looking for so yesterday morning I set off to junkyard dive for my new rear axle. The yard had a couple donors that I quickly found. The first was a 1999 Chevy k2500. The axle was complete, under the truck and looked like it was underwater for a long time. To my surprise it was only 65 inches wide. Between the other other trucks around it pulling it would have been a pain. I was under the impression these axles were 67-68 inches wide. I moved on. I found a 1988 C30 sports van. This looked good. Older but in much better looking condition. The wheels were still on it so I pulled one to get an idea of the width. I was really surprised when it came in at 70 inches.
I was ready to pack it in. On my way out I noticed an 8 lug front end on a newer Chevy truck sticking half way into a row. I walked around to the back and noticed the back half of the truck had been cut off and removed. There on the ground ready for the picking was a disc brake SF 14 bolt.
931274D1-F43C-4F82-B406-C9F280CF5541.jpeg

I put it up on some stands to look it over. It measured at 68”. It was in fantastic condition. I removed the shocks and extras and brought it home.
D7F6E9DC-2D7A-42D7-9283-E57AFBFF7971.jpeg

When I got it home I went right to work cutting brackets off.
FFCC1CD5-96EA-457C-98AD-4D4791EF718B.jpeg

Just need to clean it up now and start the build.
D437D40F-9582-43E4-AE71-49ED4C4FF554.jpeg

I need some 5x5 lug shafts build to factory 14 bolt specs. Not sure who is best to do that. Will also need an ARB RD197. Any vendors have one kicking around? Need a truss as well. I’m pretty excited about this one. Should be a great axle for the 37-39” tire range.

RockChucker

What spline are the shafts? 30 like normal 14 bolt stuff? Maybe Currie, Dynatrac or Dutchman? I think Mark Williams does SF shafts too.

Tell me your thought process for seeking SF…. I’m guessing biggest factor is the size of the hub? I can’t imagine building this is going to be much different cost than building a FF.
I had a FF shaved 14 in my LJ. With the Solid 5x5.5 hubs I wanna say it ended up around 65.5 WMS, maybe even narrower. The only complaint would have been the hub bore…. Even with 12pt bolts I had to shave the bolt shoulders down a bit to get the wheels on.
… I guess I’m just always overbuilding and anticipating going bigger, so planning for 37-39 tires instead of 42 stickies does not compute 😀

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I don't know if there are different varieties of SF 14's, but the ones I've dealt with have been less than awesome. The shafts are big, but then neck down to 30 spline at the carrier. (not FF 14 30 spline, but "normal" small 30 spline) They break right where the neck down is.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I just looked up the ARB RD 197....it's 33 spline. So that's some kind of upgrade compared to the SF14 I'm aware of.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I knew this would come. 😂
I like the specs on this axle. 1.37” minor diameter. 33 spline. 9.5” ring gear. 68” wide. 3.3” axle tube and is either 3/8 or 1/2” thick. This will be more than strong enough for the 37’s I plan to run. Shafts are the same length = one spare. I can run the 5 on 5 pattern I want and will be well matched with the JL/JT front axle.

Dutchman looks like a good choice for shafts. Strange is twice the price. No idea it’s it worth paying more for them.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
Man rough day today. On the way home from work Livy calls me and tells me the engine is making a ticking sound. I asked what the oil pressure was and it was 25psi at idle speed. So that was good. The sound got faster with engine speed. She said it was driving fine. It was too hot for her to open the hood and look around. I gave up trying to diagnose it over the phone and told her to keep driving and watch the gauges. She made it home.
At a quick glance I could see the belt section wrapped around the fan. That was the ticking sound as the tail end hit stuff as it spun.
IMG_4069.jpeg

I went to take the belt off and then saw the tensioner. Yikes!
IMG_4071.jpeg

Got it all removed. The new tensioner won’t be here till tomorrow. So she sits for now.
Some nice melted pulley there. I’m pretty impressed the belt survived about 20 miles driving like this.
IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4074.jpeg

What a day. Breaking down on the way to work and then Breaking down on the way home from work.

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I threw the parts at Livy and told her to get on it. She got most of it done by herself but needed a bit of help getting the belt routing right. All good now! Just no heater for a while. I think we’ll be ok. 113* today.

IMG_4077.jpeg

Last edited: