The Rubicon Trail, take 2--July 6-9, 2013

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
(My server is currently down, so I can post no photos whatsoever. I will go ahead and put the text here now; I'll edit in some pictures once I am able to do so.)

Background info

As is well known, I didn't make it all the way to the Rubicon in September 2012... thus I was hell-bent on making another attempt. Big thanks go to Brett for more-or-less organizing this trip; when everyone involved wouldn't pin themselves down to any specific plans, he was the one who picked a date and said, "That's it--we're going on these days."

I don't have very many pictures, sadly. I put off writing this report because I just haven't had the time required to tell the full, lush story. I do hope that the other RMEers who went will pipe up and add their own photos, stories, etc.

Just before making the trip, I surfed over to the Rubicon subforum at Pirate4x4. I found a guy who said he and his wife were going to run the trail on the same days we were going to be there, and he was looking for anyone else who might accompany them. I told him I was part of a large group, and said perhaps we might bump into him. Marc also posted in this thread.

Speaking of groups, ours consisted of 9 Jeeps: 1 Scrambler, 1 YJ, 1 XJ Cherokee, 1 "hybrid" (mbryson), and 5 TJs. The two "low riders" were on 33" tires. Everybody else was on 35" tires or larger. Most of us had a winch, and I also think everybody had dual lockers.

The Story

Our entire group did not travel out in one large caravan. I drove out on Saturday and towed my Wrangler behind my trusty Suburban. My travel companions were Marc, towing his Jeep with his Navigator, and Brett--aka the Boss--towing both his Scrambler and his son's YJ on his dual car hauler behind his Excursion. I did think it was kinda fun to be together along the way, as I am certain all onlookers correctly deduced that we were traveling together on a common Jeep adventure. On another note, I also felt it was funny that all three of us were using SUVs as tow vehicles--none of the usual pickup trucks here!

We decided to store our tow rigs at a secure facility in a campground in South Lake Tahoe. They close (and lock) their gates at 6pm sharp, so we had to hustle to get there on time. This meant we were doing a steady 70-75 MPH all the while. With ambient Nevada temps in the upper 90s, it also meant we had the A/C blasting all the while. All things considered, this means I was stressing the Suburban more than I ever have since I purchased it... yet it took everything in stride, and didn't complain anywhere along I-80. I was happy.

After we dropped down through Carson City, we exited the freeway and hit Route 50 for the 10-mile climb up into the mountains. To put it mildly, this was brutal. It was a hard, slow, constant climb that did not let up once the entire way. Since we could only do about 40 MPH, my transmission's converter remained unlocked... and thus it began generating some serious heat. The trans temp gauge had been happily pointed to 175-180 all day long, but now it crept up to 190... and then 200... and eventually 210 degrees. I radioed Brett to update him on my situation (even though he had his own concerns with his EGT), and he told me to go ahead and pass them to pick up some more speed and, hopefully, the converter would lock. I did go on around them, but due to all the sharp curves I didn't dare go much beyond 45 MPH (the posted limit) so I doubt this really helped. Luckily, the temp never did go above 210 degrees; once we crested the hill and began our descent, things cooled off fairly quickly.

Driving through the resort area along the lake definitely got my attention. Not for the beautiful landscapes--even though they were--but because of the lack of a center median, a shoulder, or any other room for a wide trailer in tow. I swear I thought I was gonna clip another car on more than one occasion, and I was very happy to not do so.

We managed to get to the facility with about 10 minutes to spare. We signed in, unloaded, and then drove to a nearby K-Mart for a few small supplies. Then began the challenge of properly loading everything into the Jeeps--well, it was a challenge primarily for Brett and his family. ;) Eventually everything was secure and we were ready to hit the road. Dinner was supposed to be waiting for us at our camp site--or so I thought--but we got there so late that dinner was over and it was pitch black out. (The stars were incredible!) Putting up my tent in total darkness did make me think of sixstringsteve, though. Perhaps tomorrow would be better.

Speaking of Steve, this trip was not the same one that he took last fall. He came onto the trail via Loon Lake dam--the short route. We camped at Airport Flat, which is next to the western entrance of the trail. This means we were going to run the entire trail--nearly 50% longer than what Steve's group had done (if you stop measuring at Observation Point). Here is a good map for reference:

163_news090429_00z+rubicon_trail+map.jpg

Brett had planned for us to spend three full days on the trail. After we all woke up and packed everything back into our vehicles, the adventure truly got under way. It only took a minute or so of driving before we were on the actual Rubicon Trail. Even though the beginning was little more than a gravel driveway, it felt great to actually be on the Rubicon.

The trail gradually got more challenging. About an hour and a half into day one, Matt's YJ broke the shackle on the driver's side rear leaf spring. Not having a spare shackle, Brett chained the leaf spring to the frame so that it wouldn't move too far laterally:

con15.jpg

This caused it to make the occasional loud clang as the spring end smacked the frame rail, but the spring did continue to work more or less as it was supposed to. Matt managed to drive the entire rest of the trail like this, so it was certainly an effective trail fix.

Late that afternoon, we arrived at the new and improved Little Sluice. True, the house-sized boulders that used to occupy it have been broken up. On the plus side, the remaining rocks are just small enough that most of us decided to give it a try. I was the fourth vehicle to go through IIRC, and I was very proud that I made it through under my own power and never needed to be strapped off of anything. I did break one center cap on a rock, but this didn't bother me whatsoever.

A couple Jeeps later, Tom began his attempt in his XJ. He did get stuck early on and had to have some rocks stacked for him, but after that things were going fairly well for him... until the bolts holding his steering box to the frame suddenly... exploded:

con25.jpg

[video=youtube;w3GtHxCast0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3GtHxCast0[/video]

Needless to say, this instantly brought our entire caravan to a complete halt. This proved to be a difficult problem to overcome. The initial strategy was to hold the steering box in place with multiple ratchet straps, but when we did this Tom did not have any significant ability to steer. By this time it was getting late in the day, so the group split up: one vehicle (Marc) stayed behind with Tom, while the rest of us pressed on to our camp site at Buck Island Lake.

We got to the camp site at dusk. Vehicles were quickly unloaded, then a few "spare" bolts were "borrowed" off of some of the parked rigs. After that, a small crew (led by Brett) hopped into a couple vehicles and headed back out--now in darkness--to return to the crippled Cherokee. This was nowhere near easy; we monitored ham radio at camp and listened in horror as the rescue crew got lost along the way, then got stuck multiple times. Tensions were high as we wondered if they would ever make it back to the Little Sluice, but they did eventually reach their goal. They installed the borrowed bolts (along with a number of washers) and restored some steering ability to the XJ, then cautiously made their way back to camp... arriving around 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning. At least it was another crystal clear, star-filled night.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Day Two was to be a much shorter drive. As such, we let the late night crew sleep in a bit. Some of us went swimming in the reservoir; others just relaxed at camp and soaked up the atmosphere. It was another perfect, cloud-free day.

Right next to our swimming spot, two Jeeps were camped out. It turns out these were the people we had talked to on Pirate4x4. I did the diplomatic thing and went over to chat with them for a while. They were really nice folks who were just out to relax and enjoy the atmosphere. At the end of our conversation, we wished each other well and parted ways.

Our group soon got underway. It wasn't long before we met some oncoming traffic. Some of us had to be creative to get around these vehicles. It was during this time that one of the TJs broke a lower control arm for the front axle. The point of failure was an older repair weld--oops. Since the break was in a c-shape, the owner used a ratchet strap to hold the arm to the axle. While this repair was underway, I found out our Pirate friends were now at this location with us. I guess we weren't done seeing them yet.

The ratchet strap looked like it might work, so we got back under way and again said goodbye to our new friends. It turns out the ratchet strap repair didn't hold up very long; axle wrap occurred and started to destroy the upper control arm. We stopped in a nice flat spot midway through the Big Sluice to reassess the situation. We used a winch to pull the axle back into place, then we added a ratchet strap to hold it still. We then chained the axle to a d-ring on the front bumper so that it could no longer move rearward. (Later, we added more chain to also prevent it from moving forward, just in case.)

con36.jpg

Happy about another successful trail repair, we continued on our way. Our joy was to be short lived. A little while later near the end of the Big Sluice, that same TJ experienced oil pan failure compliments of a very large rock:

con39.jpg

We quickly collected the oil in empty water bottles, then began to assess the situation. While we were doing so, guess who caught up to us--that's right, our Pirate friends. As a collective, we tossed out a number of ideas until the obvious choice was made: we filed/ground the oil pan and cleaned off the oil residue. We then applied some Liquid Steel, then covered that repair with a generous amount of JB Weld. This fixed the leak nicely, allowing us to pour the oil back into the crankcase and resume our journey. We said goodbye to our new friends yet again.

A very short time later we arrived at Rubicon Springs, where we had reserved the Dirty Dozen camp site. For the first time of the trip, we had arrived with lots of daylight remaining to set up camp and get settled.

One of the best things about this camp site was our proximity to the springs. Very near us, there was a natural rock formation that created a 10-foot waterfall. This was quickly chosen as a natural shower spot, and many group members donned bathing suits and jumped right in. I should have joined them, but for whatever reason I decided I would rather shower off in the morning... not bothering to think about how the ambient temperature would be 20 degrees cooler at that time. (brrr!)

This evening was also the first real group dinner of the trip. It was almost a pot luck meal; various people brought out a variety of items and there was a genuine surplus of food. As the whole group sat around the campfire and chowed down, Brett proclaimed his satisfaction with this trip. This exact moment--a large group of friends sitting around the fire, enjoying dinner and great company--is what the whole trip was all about. I was in complete agreement; it is times like this that form lifelong memories. The evening was capped off by another crystal clear, star-filled night sky.

Day Three brought another beautiful sunrise. Brett headed back to the RS "headquarters" in search of Dave the caretaker, but he was already out and about. A while later--just as we were about to head out for the day--I saw Dave driving by our camp site. I yelled out and he stopped, thankfully, and we discussed our primary problem: the XJ. The whole steering system was stressing its uniframe, which had begun to crack as a result:

con59.jpg

Without another word, Dave grabbed his portable welder and patched up the cracks. He did a fine job, but--as we feared--it merely cracked in new locations later that day. As you would guess, this day was very slow going. There were no new failures, but we did have to stop repeatedly for the Cherokee. We did finally manage to limp it close enough to the end of the trail that we could drag in a trailer to fetch it, so things turned out okay.

At the Observation Point, we had to park the Jeeps for an obligatory group shot. We wanted a shot of the participants, so we were trying to figure out how to tripod a few of the cameras so we could all be in the photo... when guess who caught up to us again? That's right, our friends. They were kind enough to take dozens of photos for us.

con65.jpg

Of course, we were kind enough to return the favor.

After this, our group began to break up. I was trying to hustle because I wanted to get back to my Suburban before it was locked up for the night. A few of us again managed to arrive back at the site in South Lake Tahoe just in time, thankfully. Brett was going to head back to the trail head to help rescue the Cherokee, but Marc and I loaded our Jeeps in preparation of heading to Carson City (where we had a hotel reservation). After he and I were ready to hit the road, we decided it was time for dinner.

As I consulted Yelp for something close and well-rated, a local burger joint caught my attention: the Burger Lounge (http://www.burgerloungeintahoe.com). Marc thought it would be perfect, so off we went. When we arrived, we carefully maneuvered our trailers into a next door parking lot, then everybody exited the vehicles. Just as I was about to turn and head to the restaurant, I noticed that directly across the street was a large campground, the Pine Cone Acre. Guess which two familiar vehicles were parked right in front? That's right, our now-familiar Pirate friends. Marc and I chuckled about this. Of course they were there. They even ended up coming over and eating at the Burger Lounge as well.

After dinner, the drive to Carson City was uneventful. The climb up from the Lake is much smaller than coming out had been, so there were no problems with excess temperatures. We got to the hotel in time to relax at the pool and hot tub, and then we got a great night's sleep to prepare for the long drive on Wednesday. Marc and I headed out together at 9am; Brett stayed behind and made the return trip solo. We all got back home safe and sound.

What an adventure.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
http://www.marbryson.com/2013-Rubicon_1.html has a few of mine. Here's a few for the click challenged.

023%20(Small).JPG

035%20(Small).JPG

048%20(Small).JPG

072%20(Medium).JPG

083%20(Small).JPG

162%20(Small).JPG

195%20(Small).JPG

253%20(Small).JPG

294%20(Small).JPG

Trip was great. I am still impressed by my pile of "Jeep". Trail was fun and challenging but my Jeep ran through without issue. (loosened a trans mount bolt by the end of the trail--can't complain at all)

I seriously considered taking my JK Unlimited but I'm glad I didn't. It would have gotten beaten to within an inch of it's life (probably not, but I would have had to drive with care vs. driving by braille). You keep hearing about the trail being cake and almost not worth the effort. I found it fairly challenging and worthy of it's reputation. Perhaps after Jeep Jamboree and other events the trail is "paved" but my leaf springs were getting a pretty good workout through most of the trail. Past Cadillac Hill, the trail did get a little long and annoying (likely due to my state of mind after being sick while on the trail for three days---I've discovered I'm not a good tent camper and I guess that's just not going to change despite buying all kinds of cool stuff to make my trip more comfortable) but for the most part, the trail was pretty challenging and you had to pick YOUR line through the trail (or a challenging line you wanted to try).

My vehicle damage report:
-aforementioned loosened trans mount bolt
-multiple fuses for my park light circuit---that sucked multiple times but I NEVER drive this thing at night
-severely fatigued rear leaf springs from hauling all my "comfort" tent camping crap through the trail---I'll need to make some changes for the rear leafs in the future. Seriously considering a 4" lift XJ spring and going spring under in the rear and linking the front.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
You keep hearing about the trail being cake and almost not worth the effort. I found it fairly challenging and worthy of it's reputation.

^ THIS, for sure.

I was led to believe that the Rubicon would be a relative walk in the park, but reality was far different. Brett and I agreed that, overall, this trail was every bit as challenging as the Hanging Tree Trail. The Rubicon didn't have a mandatory winch waterfall near the end, but it was a non-stop series of serious obstacles that gave your rock sliders and skid plates a thorough workout. I know that all trails evolve over time, but this one apparently changed considerably since September.

sixstringsteve

Got any more pics of the challenging sections? I'm trying to make sure I'm prepared for this year, especially if it has changed considerably from last year.

Last edited:

blznnp

Great report Dempsey, I would love to go do this but I am not sure I have enough confidence in the blazer yet.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Brett, did it seem much different from last year?

He did mention that it was quite different. Our theory was that as the trail gets used through the summer, rocks get stacked, larger rocks get moved around (I had a 2' x 3' squarish boulder roll out from under my front tire in Little Sluice that totally hosed my progress through there) and the trail gets easier. Then you get 10-12' of snow and the that moves things around again?

He also mentioned by going in from Loon Lake, you miss some fun obstacles (and I liked the Wentworth Springs road area....good stuff)

I've got more photos I'll post up, but it'll probably be next week before I get to that?

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Maybe I'll exit via Wentworth this year to check it out. I really liked the first section at loon though.

I actually felt that the rock stacking made it tougher last year. They weren't stacking big rocks, they were stacking baseball-sized rocks, so they'd just slip out and dig a hole like deep gravel. It was annoying. I'm excited to go back. We'll be running it backwards, which is supposed to be a bit more challenging.

mbryson

Supporting Member
Maybe I'll exit via Wentworth this year to check it out. I really liked the first section at loon though.

I actually felt that the rock stacking made it tougher last year. They weren't stacking big rocks, they were stacking baseball-sized rocks, so they'd just slip out and dig a hole like deep gravel. It was annoying. I'm excited to go back. We'll be running it backwards, which is supposed to be a bit more challenging.

After the XJ steering box fix at 1 am, we went to Buck Island lake via "True Big Sluice" on my GPS. I'd LOVE to run that uphill rather than downhill. Downhill took some picking, uphill would be pretty fun.

The Wentworth stuff could be kind of interesting to pick your way down but it was pretty fun coming up.

058%20(Small).JPG

Last edited:
Great write up Dempsey!

Brett, did it seem much different from last year?

Yes, it seemed more challenging overall. Granted, part of that was the Wentworth Springs entrance, and Walker Hill was definitely "easier" for me (no bonehead maneuvers) but the trail was less paved. Your description of the smaller rocks that get stacked is legit, but that's gonna do different things with and without lockers and with different size tires. There just didn't seem to be a lot of that. On top of the regular season of road builders, last years I/we was/were behind the new jeep group that had rock stackers running out in front of them.

Something else is that I rarely took any kind of a bypass, including Little Sluice, plus my nighttime run up Old Sluice (True Big Old Sluice Box, True Old Big Sluice, or whatever it's called). But even counting that, it just seemed that we were constantly wheelin' and picking a good line. My son rocked it in his YJ w/33's, but he had to work it to do so.

You'll have a lot of fun running it backwards. I've now run the exit to Rubicon Springs backwards, plus Buck Island to Little Sluice, both at night.

I don't have many pics to add, I was driving and spotting most of the time.