The "Swell" GPX file

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
My wife and I have not been to the San Rafael Swell area and each time we travel through Green River, UT heading somewhere we comment about needing to explore the area around Green River, i.e.. the "Swell".

I am curious if anyone has a gpx. file of the area showing the trails and such that they would be willing to share? I've heard about certain trails in the area such as Devil's Racetrack, Swasey's cabin, Coal Wash, Eva Canover and the pictograph area that we would like to explore. Since starting to use my tablet and Gaia GPS tracks several years ago I have found I enjoy following and creating various waypoints on my tablet while traveling/exploring.

Thank you.

Mike

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
My wife and I have not been to the San Rafael Swell area and each time we travel through Green River, UT heading somewhere we comment about needing to explore the area around Green River, i.e.. the "Swell".

I am curious if anyone has a gpx. file of the area showing the trails and such that they would be willing to share? I've heard about certain trails in the area such as Devil's Racetrack, Swasey's cabin, Coal Wash, Eva Canover and the pictograph area that we would like to explore. Since starting to use my tablet and Gaia GPS tracks several years ago I have found I enjoy following and creating various waypoints on my tablet while traveling/exploring.

Thank you.

Mike
I don't have a particular file, but there are plenty of them you can import to your Gaia app from their website. You Jeep and coach are a great duo for spending time in the Swell. You can also import gpx tracks to your Gaia app from the fun treks website, and they cover most of the trails in the Swell.

Kevin B.

Big hippy
It's not a GPX file, but the Emery County OHV Trail Map and the National Geographic Trails Illustrated for the San Rafael Swell are must haves if you're going into the area. I don't generally bother with GPX, I just carry those two maps and have the area downloaded to Backcountry Navigator or Gaia GPS for my phone.

I haven't read it, but a fellow on ExpUt wrote this book that a lot of guys like: https://www.amazon.com/Backroads-Ut...ywords=san+rafael+swell&qid=1614184604&sr=8-1. I do have San Rafael Swell Offroad (https://www.ayjbooks.info/) and found several new-to-me trails and destinations in there.

@DAA and I were just discussing an Eagle Canyon/Devils Racetrack trip. Maybe we should do more than just discuss it.

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor
I don't have a particular file, but there are plenty of them you can import to your Gaia app from their website. You Jeep and coach are a great duo for spending time in the Swell. You can also import gpx tracks to your Gaia app from the fun treks website, and they cover most of the trails in the Swell.

Here is Swasey's Cabin. I also call this trail Eagle Canyon, as it takes you through that canyon and under the I-70 bridges.

The download links are at the bottom of the page.

Thank you for the information Jeremy. I was just playing around on the Gaia website so I'll see what they have and then maybe add to it.

Thank you.

Mike

zmotorsports

Hardcore Gearhead
Vendor

Thank you. I've gotten quite a few tracks off of Curtis's website before but didn't even think about it for the Swell as I didn't realize he had any. I will check it out. Our FMCA 4-Wheelers club now manages Curtis's website since his passing.

It's not a GPX file, but the Emery County OHV Trail Map and the National Geographic Trails Illustrated for the San Rafael Swell are must haves if you're going into the area. I don't generally bother with GPX, I just carry those two maps and have the area downloaded to Backcountry Navigator or Gaia GPS for my phone.

I haven't read it, but a fellow on ExpUt wrote this book that a lot of guys like: https://www.amazon.com/Backroads-Ut...ywords=san+rafael+swell&qid=1614184604&sr=8-1. I do have San Rafael Swell Offroad (https://www.ayjbooks.info/) and found several new-to-me trails and destinations in there.

@DAA and I were just discussing an Eagle Canyon/Devils Racetrack trip. Maybe we should do more than just discuss it.

Thanks, I'll check that out.

Mike

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
There is also some great history and exploring on the north end of the Swell in the Cedar mountain/Chimney Rock area. The old narrow guage railroad that was never finished has several historic sites to see. We are going to do a run on Sunday from Chimney Rock down to the Buckmaster area where it hits the intersection of I-70 and Hwy 24. If we have time we may go up Black Dragon before heading home.

OldGeezer

Thank you. I've gotten quite a few tracks off of Curtis's website before but didn't even think about it for the Swell as I didn't realize he had any. I will check it out. Our FMCA 4-Wheelers club now manages Curtis's website since his passing.
Mike
Cool. Glad to hear the site is being maintained. I was afraid that it would disappear.