The Wife's EcoBoost F150

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So this is meant to replace both the wifes DD '98 100 Series Toyota Land Cruiser and my '02 Chevy 2500 tow rig, this will be her DD and my occasional tow rig for the Willys on the weekends. I think it will be great for all our adventures and road trips.

It's a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat, 3.5 EcoBoost V6, FX4 package (rear locker, hill decent assist, skid plates & offroad shocks), 36 gallon tank, 5.5' bed & has 58k miles. It has 3.55 gears, LED lighting package, etc. It's loaded, the interior feel is very high-end, which is nice when she really wanted a 200 Series Land Cruiser. It has heated and cooled leather seats, heated steering wheel, etc.

We bought it in SLC and on the 250 miles drive, the mileage computer registered 21 MPG back to Grand Junction, CO (not sure how accurate it is, need to get some hand calculated numbers). Much of the driving is lower speed and Catherine always gets better mileage than I do.

It has a slight coolant leak, I believe it's coming from one of the connections going into the turbo. It's a common failure, apparently. I would imagine it still has the origional spark plugs, so it'll get new Motorcraft plugs soon, too. The tires aren't great either, they're low on tread so new tires are on the list, too. We plan to do some basic mods to make it ride and tow better, with some improvements in offroad capability. It may see some dirt, but we will save the hard stuff for the Jeep. There is a chance we'll be taking the EcoBoost to Baja this Winter, so that may cause us to speed up the mods. ;)

20181110_150455-L.jpg

20181110_150407-L.jpg

20181110_144043-L.jpg

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I've liked my F150's, especially the EcoBoost. They are sweet trucks and I love the interior. The cooled seats in the Fords work better than the Toyota's.

Congrats!

Greg

Admin
I've liked my F150's, especially the EcoBoost. They are sweet trucks and I love the interior. The cooled seats in the Fords work better than the Toyota's.

Congrats!

That's good to hear! I've never been a Ford guy, but the build quality of the interior combined with the EcoBoost engine sure made it hard not to consider. Plus the 12,000# towing capacity is massive for a 1/2 ton! We'll never get close, but knowing that it's rated for that much weight is comforting.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
The LED headlights are great. The incandescent yellow fog lights not so much. I put LED bulbs in mind so they would match but I was planning on completely replacing them.
I do miss the giant glass roof.

Greg

Admin
The LED headlights are great. The incandescent yellow fog lights not so much. I put LED bulbs in mind so they would match but I was planning on completely replacing them.
I do miss the giant glass roof.

I remember you mentioning that, was already looking at LED bulbs for the fog lights! They're on the list. You still have those F150 brakes? :D

Yeah, the sunroof is amazing! And the powered rear window is pretty awesome, too.

Anchor_Mtn

Work Less, Travel More
Vendor
Don't waste money on the bulbs, I wish I didnt. The Morimoto direct replacement lights are better. I

I still have the brakes.

Greg

Admin
I wasnt impressed with the FX4 shocks, but I hear there are some sexy Falcons available for the F-150...

Yeah, I'm not digging the factory shocks already... we hit some rough roads on the way home yesterday and the truck bucks around and feels like it rides pretty harsh.

Falcon shocks, eh? I'll check them out.... :D

Your wife gets all the coolest trucks. Will you marry me?

Ew, no. I'm not a Polygamist.

New half tons are amazing vehicles. The comfort, towing capacity and MPG all rolled into one. I'm sure you'll both love it!

- DAA

Yeah, they're truly impressive! I haven't found anything not to like about this truck yet. It has a lot of over the top extras that are excessive, but neat. The wife is happy, so that's what matters.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
While my Raptor was a 6.2 and not an ecoboost, I found that the computer mpg was always within less than a .5 mpg range than what I hand calculated.

rholbrook

I see a new EcoBoost in my near future. My wife has been bugging me about it. Just this morning she mentioned it again. I sure have grown wise in my late 40s early 50s. I used to go through cars and accessories like underwear. Now, I have stopped pissing away money as much.

You will like that truck, it just works well in pretty much all aspects. I put a leveling kit on mine which looks good and allows you to run bigger tires if you want. I had 325s in a 22" rim on my last one (when I pissed away money).

Look into the Pedal Commander for it. Nice addition to them.

DAA

My Ram 1500 computer is always optimistic for daily driving, short hops. It's always within 1 MPG but it's always higher than actual. Usually by about .7. For whatever reason it's always closer on long hauls, usually within .2 and actually comes in slightly lower than actual on a couple occasions. I am running a slightly taller tire which I account for when hand calculating but have done nothing to correct the speedo, 33 vs 34 isn't worth messing with it. The computer would be off that much more though on 33s.

The computer in my wife's Denali sniffs glue. I wish it really it got the MPG it says it does, but it's way high. It says 14, I hand calc 11.6.

The CTD's I had smoked crack too. Always way high, often by over 2 MPG.

- DAA

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I see a new EcoBoost in my near future. My wife has been bugging me about it. Just this morning she mentioned it again. I sure have grown wise in my late 40s early 50s. I used to go through cars and accessories like underwear. Now, I have stopped pissing away money as much.

You will like that truck, it just works well in pretty much all aspects. I put a leveling kit on mine which looks good and allows you to run bigger tires if you want. I had 325s in a 22" rim on my last one (when I pissed away money).

Look into the Pedal Commander for it. Nice addition to them.

Is your truck the 6.5’ bed and has the bigger fuel tank?

rholbrook

Is your truck the 6.5’ bed and has the bigger fuel tank?
I have the 5.5' bed with the big fuel tank. I have the Lariat with the front bench leather which I love having when I need to put six in belts. My next one will have the 6.5 bed, big tank and bench seat. I don't really care about Nav, I don't use it much anyway.

Greg

Admin
We took the truck to Barney Brothers here in Grand Junction and had them fix the coolant leak today. It was pretty quick and easy, the part was a fitting that goes into the head, from the turbo. It cost $105 for the part and less than $200 for the labor. I don't mind paying for the work and the guys at Barney Bro's always do good work. We kinda beat up the dealer on the cost of this repair and told them I considered it a fixer-upper.... and got a good break on the price due to the leak! :D

New Motorcraft spark plugs and air filter have been ordered, I'll install those myself.

rholbrook

We took the truck to Barney Brothers here in Grand Junction and had them fix the coolant leak today. It was pretty quick and easy, the part was a fitting that goes into the head, from the turbo. It cost $105 for the part and less than $200 for the labor. I don't mind paying for the work and the guys at Barney Bro's always do good work. We kinda beat up the dealer on the cost of this repair and told them I considered it a fixer-upper.... and got a good break on the price due to the leak! :D

New Motorcraft spark plugs and air filter have been ordered, I'll install those myself.

While you are at it, replace the the plug wires. That is what went out on mine first. It was shorting on the head causing it to miss. Use anti-seize as well but you know that.