The wife's new race bike.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Speaking of 4 strokes.
I just built my wife her new race bike.
She's been having lots of fun in the new "Mom classes" they've introduced in the 2 Utah race series.
And she's loved her 2020 KLX230r that I've modified a lot to make it into a more "race bike" by adding gold valve style fork emulators and heavier progressive rate springs to give it real tuneable suspension and replace the damper rod style stock stuff. Pegs, seat cover, PHDS bar mounts etc...
20240202_132455.jpg

Anyways she's gotten quick enough that the bike is holding her back against the other fast girls in the class (a few BETA 300 x-trainers, a few KX112s, a YZ 125, and YZ250)

I made her do an honest 4+ hrs of run time working the Knolls Knockout race on my 2013 KTM 125sx which I hoped would be the ticket.... but it just was a bit to hyper-active (and low tech) for her (she gets flustered by remembering how to use choke, fuel petcock, etc...) and annoyed by the kick starter.
20240514_182150.jpg

Her wants were: electric start, less weight, better suspension, more power, smooth not overwhelming power delivery, fuel injection.

I loved my 2019 TX300 so much, that I wanted the same chassis but less power for her. The new 2020+ Husqvarnas are 10mm shorter so I narrowed in on that as a requirement. I have so many extra parts leftover from my last race bike this will make the mods/ maintenance easier.

I broke my own rule and bought a Motocross bike instead of the off-road version as a basis of this build because the price was literally thousands less.
I found a 2021 FC250 with some excellent aftermarket suspension and motor work and a skid plate.
20240609_193243.jpg
20240609_193138.jpg
20240609_193154.jpg

I tried to stick with local Utah and USA companies: Ordered a P3 carbon header shield, Warp 9 kickstand, Acerbis frame guard grips, a 53t (vs stock 51t) sprocket, Tusk chub bars, Polisport Flo yellow plastics, Fastway spark arrestor, ODI rogue grips and stole the Cycra handguards off her old bike.
20240611_151900.jpg

20240611_212757.jpg20240612_134701.jpg20240612_135254.jpg

Looks like she loves it!
Hopefully we get a chance to test ride it and see if she needs/ wants anything else and get some race numbers on it before race season starts back up this fall.20240612_140333.jpg

Last edited:

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I took her out for a rip Saturday night and she did maybe 11 miles with my boys. She said she loved the brakes, the suspension and enjoyed the lower weight, but got arm pump. She'll have to get used to the more abrupt power.

When we got back, I took it for a spin and found that the old chain was due when I broke it a mile and a half out.... Luckily I left my phone at the trailer, so I enjoyed a long walk back pushing this thing in the 90°F heat Haha
IMG_20240618_120404.jpg
Popped a new Primary Drive o-ring chain on there and I've got a new front sprocket on order for good measure.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I took her out for a rip Saturday night and she did maybe 11 miles with my boys. Said she got arm pump. She'll have to get used to the power.

When we got back, I took it for a spin and found that the old chain was due when I broke it a mile and a half out.... Luckily I left my phone at the trailer, so I enjoyed a long walk back pushing this thing in the 90°F heat Haha
View attachment 173821
Popped a new Primary Drive o-ring chain on there and I've got a new front sprocket on order for good measure.

Those legs 😍

rholbrook

@Gravy I have ridden with you before when you have broken a chain. How many broken chains have you had? I have never ever broken a chain in my 50+ years of riding. I have spun the teeth off the counter sprocket on my 1982 YZ490 before. I had to limp it in but never broke a chain. Harrison lost a master link on 5 MOH on his CRF150RB a mile past the Crux which ended in a very very long day and night.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Perhaps that was someone else? I don't remember ever breaking a chain (on a dirt bike).
I've definitely thrown one off a piece of crap Chinese pitbike 😂😜.
And I lost a master link once in a race because it rubbed off on the chain guide (which I bent when I creamed a rock). My friend stopped and gave me a master link and I was able to pinch it together with a rock and a leatherman (o-ring chains are almost impossible to do) and I finished still. I want to say it was in Vernal; I was leading the entire B wave and went straight to 80th & +15 minutes behind the last sportsman- I think I came back and got like 40th (like 3rd or 4th VET) but barfed from over exertion trying to salvage championship points 😆.

Also in other news...
I got an OEM translucent off-road tank today in trade. This adds 2L of fuel capacity and the ability to SEE how much fuel you have.
20240618_164933~2.jpg
BUT...
While swapping the fuel pump and being an idiot: I broke the fuel nipple off the pump...🤣
20240618_164131.jpg

Last edited:

benjy

Rarely wrenches
Supporting Member
I think I came back and got like 40th (like 3rd or 4th VET) but barfed from over exertion trying to salvage championship points

How often is this the outcome of a race? I seem to recall similar circumstances in St George a few years back

rholbrook

Back to Stacey's bike....I bet she is going to love it. Thats really cool she is enjoying it. How does it work if both you and Stacey are both out n the trail at the same time? Do the kids just get chained to the trailer? Just kidding, its really cool that this is something you all love.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
How often is this the outcome of a race? I seem to recall similar circumstances in St George a few years back

🤮? It happens sometimes after a long one: I've gotten better at heat conditioning, but I sometimes have an issue where my adrenaline dumps to my stomach all at once when I finish racing and stop suddenly.

I got heat stroke at that rhino rally, I think all of us who race have had that happened: @glockman has had it once or twice, @jeeper had a real bad one in Vernal once as well.
They delayed that St. George race for something like an hour and a half or two hours and we all sat in our gear at the starting line and sweated out guts out... I drank almost all my water before the 85 mile race started 😲

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Back to Stacey's bike....I bet she is going to love it. Thats really cool she is enjoying it. How does it work if both you and Stacey are both out n the trail at the same time? Do the kids just get chained to the trailer? Just kidding, its really cool that this is something you all love.

She's killing it this year: I think she's leading the "Mom's Class" there's about 10-15 of them each race! (I call them the "MOMster Energy Girls).
All 5 of us rode last Saturday. Even the 4 yr old did 9 miles! She really liked the bike! I've got a few tricks I'm going to try -to mellow out the power.

Luckily when we race- 3 of our races are staggered so usually while she races I get my boys ready, then I help the big boys race while she helps the 4 yr old race, then I race.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I had it bad in Mesquite once.
I don’t remember vernal, but I know it’s been a couple times for me.
The worst one though was at cherry creek. We were way out, I was exhausted. Doing all I could to keep going. I hit a washout wrong and the bike stopped under me. I clinched everything I could to hold on, and it was too much. Puked right into my helmet. All over my face guard. It was yucky.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
A few years ago the Firebirds race was late may. It was 90 degrees when we started. I usually try and drink a gallon a day the week of a race. I had done that, then downed a quart of pedialyte the morning of and drank 3 liters of water during the race. I ran out of water 3/4 of the way through and was getting tunnel vision and a migraine by the end. I never puke though. I have enough fuel reserves to run on for a week:)