Thinking of Moab the 11th and 12th

airmanwilliams

My younger brother ships out to basic training in a couple weeks and so we are thinking of hitting Moab for the first time the 11th and 12th. Where are good camp spots? And since this is my daily driver I'm taking what are some mild trails? And I mean mild people, had this sidekick awhile but I never get out so I am still a newb. Don't say Main Street!

sixstringsteve

No offense, but you're not ready for Hell's Revenge. I would recommend Long Canyon, Kokopelli trail, Chicken Corners, and Tusher Tunnel. None of these really require much 4-lo but they're beautiful and you won't hurt your rig or yourself. It'd be worth buying the wells moab book and sticking to the easier trails for now.

If you've never been to moab in your life, the paved loop in island in the sky is gorgeous and well worth the time.

Also, exploring arches is fun. There's a mild dirt road leading out of the park. That could be a fun way to explore the backroads there.

Last edited:

comingdown

Did you find a roof rack that will hold your Nordic walking sticks cause i can't believe your gonna go wheeling...... :) you can borrow my moab book if you want. and please put that U sticker on coco's truck.

walking-for-life-page-image.jpg

this seems more your speed.

airmanwilliams

Did you find a roof rack that will hold your Nordic walking sticks cause i can't believe your gonna go wheeling...... :) you can borrow my moab book if you want. and please put that U sticker on coco's truck.

walking-for-life-page-image.jpg

this seems more your speed.

I have some walking sticks already in my roof rack glen thank you.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Meh this is more of a scouting trip for when I bring my wife and son down in a couple months. I'm not into wheeling a ton but more into just driving and taking in beautiful scenery.

First trail I took my wife on was Hell's revenge, for some reason she's been OK with about any other trail I've taken her on after that.

ozzy702

A lot depends on how much experience you have an how built your vehicle is. From the sounds of it, not a lot of experience and not super built? If that's the case then I second Steve's recommendations to stay away from Hells and even Fins & Things and go with some more mild trails. The big thing with a sidekick is unless you're running t-case gears you'll smoke your clutch pretty easily out there and it will be a miserable experience, especially if you don't have much time in the seat. I've done Hells in the pouring rain in a 2009 F150 with a few inches of lift and one size larger tires. It was fine, no big deal, but again, I've wheeled a bunch and gearing/power wasn't an issue as it can be with a 1.6L.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
Chicken Corners is a technical driving level 1 but the cliffs are one heck of a rush for a novice. Great scenery abounds.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
Chicken Corners is fun and scenic, I took my 3/4 ton Chevy diesel up there followed by my buddy in his 88 Suburban, make sure you explore the caves out there.

comingdown

a lot depends on if you are planning on wheeling alone or if you have an amigo going down with you. with someone else, it takes a lot of the burden off you, i took my novice bro-in-law through hells revenge and fins n things just by spotting him. alone, then yes, stick to more mild things. lots of nice scenic drives to just enjoy the area.

sixstringsteve

For those that haven't wheeled with brandon before, I think he has used 4-lo once in his life, to do rattlesnake staying on the main section. His rig is under-geared for his tires. I'm betting the tires rub.

While you may be able to do hell's in a crown vic, he has VERY little wheeling experience. Without a trail guide or spotter who knows what he's doing, Brandon should probably stay away from trails with steps over 6", steep climbs, dropoffs, or potential for rollover. There's a spot on Fins n Things (on the south side of the road even) that's sketchy for noobs. If he had someone to go with him and show him around, he'd be fine on most of these. As a solo explorer, even fins could prove to be a bit much.