Thoughts about this '85 CJ-7

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Jay5.9L said:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...d&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=5

Going to take a look at it tonight. What do you guys think? Will the stock auto tranny (rebuilt with stronger parts) hold up to the 401? Will the stock 20 in the rear hold up even with one-piece shafts or should I go right to a D44/D60? If everything looks good and the rust is not too bad, how much should I offer?

Thanks,
Jason

If it's something you like, the price seems in line with the market. If you keep it to 33" tires, you might be OK with the 20....other than that, I think you'd be happier with an upgrade. I've wheeled with a guy for years with a 6 cyl., stick, that runs lockrights front/rear in the D30/AMC20. He's fairly aggressive but will back off if needed. Running 1 piece shafts in the 20 and still running the 260 joints in the D30.

Can't comment much on the tranny strength or anything.

Jay5.9L said:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...d&advanced=n&start_year=1984&color=&cardist=5

Going to take a look at it tonight. What do you guys think? Will the stock auto tranny (rebuilt with stronger parts) hold up to the 401? Will the stock 20 in the rear hold up even with one-piece shafts or should I go right to a D44/D60? If everything looks good and the rust is not too bad, how much should I offer?

Thanks,
Jason

Looks good. Buy it, and start saving for axles, and enjoy the snot out of it until then. Just lose the rack. The tranny oughta be ok. 2-piece axles won't last, even with the auto. How nasty you gonna take it?

Brett (and please, please don't use your GC to trailer it)

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Maverick said:
Looks good. Buy it, and start saving for axles, and enjoy the snot out of it until then. Just lose the rack. The tranny oughta be ok. 2-piece axles won't last, even with the auto. How nasty you gonna take it?

Brett (and please, please don't use your GC to trailer it)

I'm not sure how far it will go. I would like to increase the wheel base and maybe end up with 36"s. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some D60 just to be safe. As far as trailering with my Grand, I may flat tow it but that may be too scarry. The owner of the Cj DRIVES it with the family to Moab. He is selling the CJ for lift money for his new Rubicon (bastard!!! LOL)

idoc

I would think if he swapped the 401 out of a full size jeep he more than likely also swapped the tranny. There is a good chance it is a TH400 which will hold up very well.

I also think the price looks good as long as there is not too much rust to deal with.

Good luck

Dave

Lose that ugly rack first thing. It does say there's a new trans so most likely you'll come out on top with that. If you gear the axles low you shouldn't have trans problems. The 401 isn't super powerfull but it does pack a punch, about 215 hp.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Buyer beware!! The 401 (or any other V8) wasn't an optional engine in a CJ in 85.... You're in for a nightmare in the emission testing department, that is, IF you can find someone who will look the other way. Otherwise, it's not a bad deal if the body's in good shape. Pick up all the used Mod 30 axles you can find though. oh, and don't underestimate the Mod 20. Re-weld the tubes to the pumpkin though, that's the weakest spot.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
BCGPER said:
Buyer beware!! The 401 (or any other V8) wasn't an optional engine in a CJ in 85.... You're in for a nightmare in the emission testing department, that is, IF you can find someone who will look the other way.......

You can always ask to "test drive" it to an emissions place to have it tested if you are serious about it. It will cost you ~$50 but then you know what you are up against. It may very well be a well spent $50 if you end up needing to put hundreds into it so it will pass.