• Side-Jobs Forum Rules:
    • No requests related to 4x4, offroad, or any services already provided by vendors who support RME and make this site possible. If you are seeking these types of services, please post in a General 4x4 or another approriate forum.
    • No requests related to morally questionable or illegal activities
    • Any requests here may be removed at any time at the discretion of the moderators

Tile Work

shortstraw8

Backsplashes are easy, get a tub of mastic and a v notch trowel and a cheap laser level. Take you time in setup and prep
Whatever spacers you go with. 3/16, 1/8, 1/4 put one between your counter and the first row and start setting tile.
You can rent a 7" tile saw, or buy one from HF. Keep a bucket of clean water close buy, work in small sections, apply enough mastic for 5-6 pieces of tile.

When grouting, use a grout with sealer in it, you can usually buy it pre-mixed. Again a bucket of clean water and a few sponges and couple microfiber towels and a good float.

IMO save yourself $500+ in labor watch a few youtube videos if needed but it is pretty straight forward.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I did the backsplash at my last house and everything turned out good except I didn't know how to finish the edges. I kind of just filled in from the tile to the wall with grout and tried to smooth it with a wet finger. It turned out okay but you could tell it was DIY.

Talking to my neighbor who is a tile guy about doing our current house a month ago he told me to get something like this in 5/16" to define the edges and around the window. I'm going to just use white 3x6 subway tile and I already bought it. My neighbor said he'd help get me going but its been a minute and I'm ready to start pestering him again about getting going. If the backsplash goes well I'd like to do more subway tile in the half bath on the main floor. I really like the look of subway tile though, I could do my bathrooms floor to ceiling in it and be happy.

Bullet

So this is the tile my wife chose. I have never worked with glass tile and only done a few bathrooms.

Attachments

• 36CD2C18-CE5A-44EB-8CE5-317A97BA1D8B.jpeg
    36CD2C18-CE5A-44EB-8CE5-317A97BA1D8B.jpeg
    451.1 KB · Views: 19

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
This thread is timely. I've got 1,500 sq/ft of tile in my basement waiting for me to find time to install it. I really don't think I'll ever find that time.

shortstraw8

I have used similar tile, keep it in the packaging to cut it. Makes it come out cleaner as it is easier to work with.
Just make sure you lay them out first and make sure your joints are all set to connect together correctly. I would just lay them out on the counter, get your measurement to the bottom of the cabinet from the top of the first piece, a razor knife will cut the backing easily.
Those sheets are pretty easy to work with, all comes down to prep work so you do not feel rushed to slap crap on the wall.20180706_151720.jpg

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
My neighbor does tile. I sent him a link to this thread so if he reads this hes a REALLY good dude. If he doesn't read it then hes an alright guy unless he is filling my kid with wild ideas that will negatively affect me... lol.

Rich McCleve 801-949-8727

comingdown

So this is the tile my wife chose. I have never worked with glass tile and only done a few bathrooms.
I would avoid glass tile in bathrooms if you plan on doing a shower door. 95% of shower doors I install in glass tile ends up breaking the glass tile and causing a mess. Looks great and home owners get all mad why the tile people let them buy glass tile. Backsplash will be fine. Just my .02 from my experience.

Tonkaman

I would avoid glass tile in bathrooms if you plan on doing a shower door. 95% of shower doors I install in glass tile ends up breaking the glass tile and causing a mess. Looks great and home owners get all mad why the tile people let them buy glass tile. Backsplash will be fine. Just my .02 from my experience.
Do you install glass shower doors for a living?