Topic of Discussion Tile. Yes, this is THAT thread

jeeper

Currently without Jeep
I don’t want to make you guys feel bad.. but the tile in my house is darn near perfect. In 20 years I have not been able to find a less than perfectly straight line, or a not perfectly level joint.

Obviously I didn’t install it.

But I didn’t give near enough credit to the drunk family friend that did back then. It’s an incredible job. I do remember that he eyeballed it all. We asked him when he was doing it why he had no spacers or levels. He said he just pays attention.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Finally got the sink and plumbing back together. We’ve not had the sink or dishwasher installed since the Saturday before Thanksgiving. Like freakin Neanderthals around here. I also realized that the dishwasher was plumbed to the cold water line since 2006. I switched things around so it’s on the hot side now.

IMG_6699.jpeg

That corner cabinet under the sink is not an actual cabinet. It’s just the face of a cabinet and a shitty floor piece that was not properly supported. They had to be disassembled when we pullled the cabinets, and we spent an entire evening extracting the 1,000 needle-sized brad nails from the edge of the faceplate. I spent another evening building 200% more support for the floor in the area.

Pile of parts

That corner cabinet under the sink is not an actual cabinet. It’s just the face of a cabinet and a shitty floor piece that was not properly supported
That's weird. I built cabinets for about 10 years and spent another 10 in the woodworking industry. I've never seen or heard of anything like that. Kitchen looks great!

We, I should say my wife, spent about 3 months with no Kitchen. I tore everything out and re-tiled between Christmas and New Year's one year. My plan was to just refinish the cabinets and put them back in. We'll, when it came time to work on the cabinets I couldn't convince myself to do it. We hated the layout and they were poorly built. Long story short, it was 3 months before a friend and I finished the new ones at his shop. I was traveling a lot for work so most of my meals were eating out. My wife was home with a small bar/Kitchen in our basement. A fridge, microwave and sink. We did a lot of crockkpot cooking and paper plates.
We too, are 14 bolt peasant Neanderthals...

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That's weird. I built cabinets for about 10 years and spent another 10 in the woodworking industry. I've never seen or heard of anything like that. Kitchen looks great!

We, I should say my wife, spent about 3 months with no Kitchen. I tore everything out and re-tiled between Christmas and New Year's one year. My plan was to just refinish the cabinets and put them back in. We'll, when it came time to work on the cabinets I couldn't convince myself to do it. We hated the layout and they were poorly built. Long story short, it was 3 months before a friend and I finished the new ones at his shop. I was traveling a lot for work so most of my meals were eating out. My wife was home with a small bar/Kitchen in our basement. A fridge, microwave and sink. We did a lot of crockkpot cooking and paper plates.
We too, are 14 bolt peasant Neanderthals...
We’ve been living off the air fryer for weeks.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well tonight I had a challenge. I’m certainly no plumber, but I found myself plumbering a shitiation just now.

Our fridge has been living in the family room since we nuked the kitchen before turkey day. It’s been working fine, just no ice or water features. I decided that I would be a cool guy and install an actual receptacle in the wall for the fridge/icemaker water line, rather than having it come up through a hole in the floor.

IMG_6700.jpeg

So I ordered me a nice lil receptacle and cut the hole in the wall behind the fridge. Drilled through the bottom of the wall and fished that line up through. Then I tried to set the inside portion of the receptacle in the wall… it would not go through the hole. WTF? It should fit fine! I need more beer!! Then I got down on the floor and looked at the hole.

IMG_6704.jpeg
<much bad words>
<facepalm>
<all the bad words>
That’s the drain for my clothes washer, and it now has an extra vent. How would a Hick fix that?!? I ain’t tearing apart sheetrock and studs because the builder decided to add a couple unnecessary elbows and a horizontal section.

I knew in my heart how a Hick would fix it, but I googled anyway. Found a few repair ideas that should work, but I need that clothes washer working tonight. I gots chores. So I followed my heart and welded that sucker closed.

IMG_6708.jpegIMG_6707.jpeg

It looks rough in the pics, but it’s actually pretty smooth. Being a drain, it’s not pressurized. Ran some test loads through the washer and zero leaks. I’ll put a clamp repair over it tomorrow, but we’re doin chores tonight.