To Build it or not to build it. 72 ford f250

Shaolinshawn

Ok here is the deal i have a 72 ford f250 with a rebuilt 390 engine the rear end is a 10.25 and the front is a hd44 with drums should i strip the metal of and make it into a crawler using just the frame and drive train then bend tubing to make the chassi, or buy a tube frame and add my engine and drive train to it? has any one built a f250 into a crawler? Any advise would be great thanks.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Unless the Axles have been swapped in, it should be a 60 rear and a closed knuckle frt. The closed knuckle frt are very weak.
So, the drivetrain may no be wort using....
As for building a truck into a crawler, it all depends on what you want to do with it. A truck is too big for a lot of the crawling stuff, but can still be fun....
If you want and all out crawler, not street legal, then go for the buggy....

fordy4

I wouldn't use the closed knuckle front, however my rig started as a 82 bronco with a 9" rear and an open knuckle solid d44 and a 390. Over the years I have wheeled it and stripped off what has dented etc. and have had good luck with it(it is pictured in my avatar to the left) If you could get a better front end I would say do whatever your budget lets you. I had to do it slow as cash permitted, but if I had the cash, I would rather have it full tube. Mine is getting closer to full tube all the time. If you know that you don't want it street legal and you have the cash, then just go full tube. I have a buddy with a 72 f250 with a 60 front and rear that has been bobbed and it does real well, so it is all in what you want, how much $$ you have, and what your fabrication skills are. :)

Last edited: