Torque Sequence

jruss

I just finished getting my transmission reinstalled this week on my 08 JK, and the stamp under the collar says "critical collar torque sequence, refer service manual" Google has not turned up any results. Anybody know the proper sequence here?IMG_1136.jpg

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I don't remember that on mine, but usually when that is stamped there it is talking about an oil pan that is bolted to both the engine block and the transmission, because you have bolts that are pulling up vertically and bolts that are pulling back horizontally. So if you fully torque the vertical bolts in place then try to torque the horizontal bolts, you can break parts because they are being forced to horizontally, but cant because the vertical bolts are preventing movement.

If this is similar to what you have going on, I would just make sure that the transmission is fully seated to the engine before starting any bolts. Once you're ready for bolts, install all of them finger tight, then tighten them in several rounds until you get to the spec, alternating between the horizontals and then any vertical bolts.

Oh, and I would also start your torque converter/flex plate bolts before you go past finger tight on the bell housing bolts.

Last edited: