Topic of Discussion Tow Balls as Recovery Points

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm betting that 98% of RME members know and understand why it's dangerous to use Tow Balls as a recovery point. This discussion is for the 2% that may not realize how much damage a tow ball can do when it breaks during recovery. Most common tow balls are rated for thousands of pounds of load carrying/pulling capacity when used properly, but that is a static load, not a dynamic, yanking-as-hard-as-possible pull.

Ronny Dahl recently made a great video that shows what kind of damage a breaking & flying tow ball can do to vehicles and people standing near by when the tow ball becomes a 5# projectile.

IMO, the best recovery point is an engineered one that is attached directly to the frame. Using the tow hitch can be an option, if done right but you need to be aware of how many pounds receiver hitch is rated for (its Class) and how strong it really is before tugging on it. On my JK, the reciever hitch is very light weight... I have used it for light tugs before, but my bumper/frame mounted points are much stronger. I carry a Warn receiver mount with a shackle, but have heard that a standard hitch pin isn't built for the forces that come with a hard-tugging recovery. Using a strap with the hitch pin thru the loop has been done many times, but IMO it's a last resort option. You really need to use common sense with a strap and hitch pin, side loading can possibly tear the strap, bending & breaking the pin is possibly if yanked on hard enough.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
But what about the Tow Dawg?

I just had to look that up, never heard of it before.

From their website:

Once tension is formed on the Tow Dawg strap, SLOWLY pull forward.

(WARNING - Tow Dawg is not intended to be used for any recovery situations or where a snatch tactic is applied.)

Two big notes: First, as @Greg mentioned, you shouldn't use momentum to yank on it. Second, the Tow Dawg puts the pressure down low on the ball, closer to the hitch steel. A strap looped around the ball will be pulling from higher up, putting more bending force on the ball.

I don't usually even have a hitch ball available to pull from, so no worry for me. :)

DAA

Interesting on the hitch pin. Bill Burke recommended using the hitch pin in the strap loop, many years ago, and so I have used that method a lot. I hooked up my strap to Davy's Jeep that way just a few weeks ago in fact.

- DAA

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
But what about the Tow Dawg?

Great way to legitimize a bad idea..... :D As Carl mentioned, they have directions that specify how to use it... but I'd imagine that there will still be some folks that use it incorrectly and they have the potential of doing bodily harm to themselves and others.

Interesting on the hitch pin. Bill Burke recommended using the hitch pin in the strap loop, many years ago, and so I have used that method a lot. I hooked up my strap to Davy's Jeep that way just a few weeks ago in fact.

- DAA

I think if you know what you're doing with a recovery, the hitch pin & strap can work.... but IMO it's not the preferred method. I know guys that have bent their hitch pins to the point that they've had to cut the strap, then the pin to get it out. If a 5/8", Grade 5 hitch pin is going to bend when used with a hard tug, then in my opinion, it's not the best option.

I think a Warn receiver mount with a shackle would help spread the load on the hitch pin in a more uniform manner and have less change of damaging the hitch pin as well as the strap, on the edges of the receiver mount. Again, this is all my personal opinion. :)

0000446_warn-industries-29312-d-ring-mount.jpeg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
There's certainly less chance of bending the hitch pin with a receiver tow point like that one. I've used a similar part with a tow strap to yank down dead trees at my property. And when I say yanked, I mean I basically bungee jumped my Jeep down a steep grade with a 30' tow strap attached to a big dead tree. 5 times, at least. The tree would not budge.

So Greg, I wouldn't worry too much about your JK hitch being up to the task for recovery. I don't think there is enough weight in the JK to abuse that hitch more than I did. Of course I would only consider a straight pull with that set up, and I wouldn't yank on another vehicle as hard as I did that tree.

boogie_4wheel

I've been using a hitch pin through a strap loop for years. I stay tame though and try to not jerk on anything, so I don't have any worries about bending the pin. I am mindful of 'extreme' angles on the hitch that may cause my straps to rub/cut on the edge of the square tubing. I just don't wheel enough (hard enough) to need to invest in more recovery gear.

I'm curious what an estimated hitch pin weight rating is, and expect it to bend easier on a strap vs a 2" tube shackle mount. A few years ago I stalled a Warn M8000 (2nd wrap on the drum IIRC) that was on a receiver mount, but know that wasn't enough to cause damage.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
I have a flat ball mount with no ball on it.
Drop the shackle pin through the hole where the ball would go. same effect as the Warn beast above but weighs less (and I already have one). But honestly, this is more about shortcuts to achieving a Darwin award than a recovery safety bulletin. I bet Hi-Lift jacks have killed/injured far more people than flying tow balls. Just remember folks, if there's a lot of energy involved be it kinetic, potential (gravity or that air tank you want to get a few more psi into), or chemical, think long and hard before you act.

Last edited:

_Auzzy_

Current Rig: 12W Boots
Once I saw the video of the Australian guy getting killed by one a few years back (like 10years ago) and multiple near misses myself with chains I switched over to rings and straps. Current setup I keep in my pickup is these for recovery points :

And for a tow strap I have one I probably need retire, but it's an old Napa strap I got from my job back in 2011. It's rated for 55,000lb break, it's a doubled up 2.5" strap. I have a giant 1.25" kinetic rope I got from a random on fb. About 140' long, I need to figure out how I can put loops into it without giant huge ass knots

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I think a Warn receiver mount with a shackle would help spread the load on the hitch pin in a more uniform manner and have less change of damaging the hitch pin as well as the strap, on the edges of the receiver mount. Again, this is all my personal opinion. :)

While its not a warn brand, we use these in the canyons a lot to pull subaru's out of the snow bank. Literally yanked 100's of cars out of the last couple years with no issue. No bent pins or anything. If I find a truck that doesn't have any recovery points but a hitch I'll throw this in the car being towed and use my tow hooks.

_Auzzy_

I always have a pintle hitch on my vehicle. I use it for recovery.

Is that safe? I don't every do the momentum kind of recovery. I just pull.

Just from my own personal experience from commercial vehicles to military stuff, yeah they seem to take a shock load better than a ball but i still wouldn't cause with my luck the jaw lock would be worn

_Auzzy_

Great way to legitimize a bad idea..... :D As Carl mentioned, they have directions that specify how to use it... but I'd imagine that there will still be some folks that use it incorrectly and they have the potential of doing bodily harm to themselves and others.

I think if you know what you're doing with a recovery, the hitch pin & strap can work.... but IMO it's not the preferred method. I know guys that have bent their hitch pins to the point that they've had to cut the strap, then the pin to get it out. If a 5/8", Grade 5 hitch pin is going to bend when used with a hard tug, then in my opinion, it's not the best option.

I never like these styles cause there isn't a whole lot of meat behind the pin hole. I know they're not meant for hitting on and more for winching, but even then would make me nervous. I'm sure they're break is stronger than most vehicles weight but I'm over cautious lol

Homefryy

Not the first and won't be the last...

That is rough but definitely highlights the amount of energy involved. It went through a topper then through the rear window of the truck and then hit him in the head hard enough to kill him. Scary...

smfulle

Not really a contribution to this conversation, but maybe a laugh.
i tried to watch the two videos that Greg put in his original post using my work computer at the junior high where I work.
Both were blocked by the school filter.