Towing doubles. Who’s done it?

cjncustoms

We bought a new to us 5th wheel with plans of double towing a couple times a year. Our boat or buggy. Just looking to see some rear hitch set ups on yours if you have any pics? Our trailer has a rear hitch already installed, but I’m overkill and want to beef it up for a piece of mind… let’s see some pics!
Thanks in advance!

Calvin

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Saw a guy pulling a camp trailer pulling a boat get squirrely, started fishing tailing like crazy before the boat decided it didn't want to be part of the group anymore and jumping off the trailer and spun across all 4 lanes by Camp Williams. To be fair, his wasn't a 5th wheel, and the boat looked like it cost more than the rest of the setup combined before it left fiberglass across the lanes.

Bart

I towed my 5th wheel with my Jeep on a trailer behind it with success. I beefed up the rear hitch on the 5th wheel as much as I could and ran a separate brake controller on both trailers, so I could engage the rear trailer independently. It worked well, but requires a lot of attention and preventive driving.
doubles.jpg

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I used one of these to build the hitch for my 5th wheel. You can buy the side plates separately or just make them.

DRAW TITE 41991 Hitch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CSQAYW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I've pulled a boat and our JK behind our 5th wheel a few times. I'd rather not do it anymore, as it's too much like work. I go on vacation to forget about work.

Last edited:

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I have flat towed my TJ I used to have behind my 5th wheel and it wasn't bad as long as you paid attention to your surroundings. I see all these people who tow tandem behind a bumper pull and cringe. Almost every wreck I have driven past on the highway has been a bumper pull towing tandem.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I 100% watched a guy pulling doubles whip and flip the 5th wheel and the second trailer went into the ditch. He came up over a rise then has hit with a big cross wind. I was on a moto and was first on scene to call 911. The truck stopped balanced on 2 wheels. 5th wheel turned into an upside-down flatbed. The walls and top were like a house of cards scattered across the freeway. The dog in a crate that ejected the 5th wheel survived uninjured.

It can be done and it can be done safely, but loads move in dynamic ways: especially the (usually) single axle 2nd.

Last edited:

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

Get a tongue weight scale and get your 10-15% tongue weight on the second trailer. I’d stay closer to 15. Then hook up to your first trailer. Load it so that it’s tongue weight is right on. I really like that idea of two brake controllers for manual operation of either one. I’d also run a weight distributing hitch with sway control on the second trailer.

I have the scale I linked. I like it. I dont think it’s 100% accurate but it’s close. Utah is nice because it has so many easy to use truck scales. Use them.

boogie_4wheel

Double bumper towing; I'm one of those guys 👋 I've done some other questionable things in life and am still here to tell the tale.

The hitch is 2" square tube, 1/4" wall. Simple "H" that spans the trailer's frame rails. Rear cross piece is about a far back as I could get it. The front cross piece is up near the fuel tank of the trailer (about 2.5' of span front to rear). On the outsides of each corner is a short length of angle iron. This gave a nice long flat piece to weld the hitch to the trailer frame.

Truck is 7800, toyhauler is 6300 ready to camp minus toys (1k of that is tongue weight). My single axle and 4 seat talon (not shown, borrowed a ranger in the picture) is approx 2800.

The toyhauler can only fit a 48-50" width, which is the reason for two trailers.

This actually tows quite well. The added weight of the 2nd trailer is noticed, but handling characteristics are very similar that are felt in the truck seat. I use an Equalizer 4-Way on the truck. I am adding a friction sway device on the second trailer. While it is stable, those diagonal overpass transitions in Utah County cause the second trailer to pitch sideways pretty violently in the mirror. Recovery from those is very quick with no input from me.

I'd want trailer #1 to be a lot heavier than the 2nd. For a decent sized boat or a buggy, I'd want that camp trailer to have some heft to it.

Attachments

• 20210313_143038.jpg
    20210313_143038.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210422_103302.jpg
    20210422_103302.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

ID Bronco

I've done it with my 28' camp trailer and a small fishing boat or drift boat. It went fine each time. It's a very light load on the rear so that's probably an advantage.

I think it's sketchy with a heavy caboose.