transmission brace

Rockjunky317

I have heard the 80's full size blazers and full size trucks came with braces that ran from the bell housing to the tailshaft to prevent the housing from breaking, I have had this issue on my SBC swap in my toyota many times, Does anyone have these braces or know where i can get them??

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
it actually runs from the bellhousing to the side of the t-case. And there are ones that go from the bellhousing to the motor mounts, too.

They came on pretty much every 80's truck. If anything was ever done to the t-case, they often were discarded for reasons I can't understand. I MIGHT have a spare, I'll look. PM me Saturday night, I'll look tomorrow or Sat. morning.

Rockjunky317

will do, i have made a mid engine mount, added a trans mount and beefed up the transfer case mount. just tired of getting stranded

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
will do, i have made a mid engine mount, added a trans mount and beefed up the transfer case mount. just tired of getting stranded

Not that the extra braces are a bad idea, but is it possible that some of your mounts are too rigid and don't let the drivetrain move like it needs to? Maybe you have to many mounts? I have seen situations where soft(er) engine mounts paired with a stiff trans mount causes enough strain on things to crack trans housings and such...

I guess my point is that if the trans/t-case is mounted more rigid than the engine, then all the stress is put through the trans case causing the failures - or at least some version of that scenario...

People may disagree, but I believe the engine needs to be mounted nice and solid, but the transmission end of things needs a bit of give so the housing survives. This theory has worked very well on my own rig.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
FWIW, factory GM braces tie all the components to each other-- and the factory trans mounts are definitely softer than the engine mounts-- so I think your theory is sound. :D

Rockjunky317

Before i only had engine mounts (soft mounts) and a T-case mount (soft mount) since i re did it all i added a mid engine plate that a fabbed to fit stock transmission poly mounts (1 on each side) and then added a stock trans mount to the scenerio. I asked around about mounting the engine solid as this was my first idea but all the answers i got were the engine needs movement for when the torque comes through the drive train it needs to twist the engine some or it will just break more than what i have, another issue i noticed was a driveline angle, i was runnin a single piece rear driveline without a cv and was at a fairly steep angle, i since added the factory carrier back into the equation and cv style drive shafts, lowered the T-case 2 inches so i shouldnt get and driveline torque affecting it.