Trip Report: Morocco

Houndoc

Just returned from a trip to Morocco and Southern Spain. 11 days, 7 airports, 1500 road miles (drove in Spain, had driver in Morocco- roughly 750 miles covered in each) and ferry crossing of the Mediterranean.

Will mostly put up a few photos of the swing into southern Morocco. Can post some Spain pics if anyone wants me to, but not as much what I think this crowd is into.

We flew into Marrakech, spending the first 2 nights there. Narrow, winding alleys. Crowded shops selling silver lamps, knives, swords and masks (among less interesting things.) Snake charmers and men with trained monkeys. Yes, it is all there.

View attachment DSC_0025.jpg View attachment DSC_0117.jpg ATTACH=CONFIG]109315[/ATTACH]

We then headed over the High Atlas Mountains (the highest mountain range in Africa- while Kilimanjaro is the highest peak, it is a single stand alone. The second and third highest mountains in Africa are in the Atlas. Toubkal, the tallest, is 13,671 feet) and into the Sahara (as our driver pointed out, "sahara" is Arabic for "desert" so there is no need to say "Sahara Desert".) Only about 1/4 the Sahara is the dunes we picture- the rest looks a lot like Utah. We went through large areas that remind me specifically of Highway 6 between Price and Green River. The major difference being the lush river bottoms and oasis, and a lot larger cities than I expected to see.

View attachment DSC_0132.jpg View attachment DSC_0144.jpg View attachment DSC_0150.jpg View attachment DSC_0259.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0122.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Houndoc

We then reached the Erg Chebbie area of the Sahara- dunes at last! At this point we are roughly 10-15 miles from the Algeria border.

That is were we mounted our camels and headed into the dunes. We only went a couple mile in, but still enough to begin to capture the world of sand they are. We spent the night in a camp among the dunes before heading back out just after sunrise.

It was pretty cool standing alone on a dune, thinking "I am watching the sunrise in the Sahara".

View attachment DSC_0314.jpg View attachment DSC_0358.jpg View attachment DSC_0331.jpg View attachment DSC_0346.jpg View attachment DSC_0363.jpg

Houndoc

We then loaded the vehicle, and headed back to Marrakech. On the way down we did the drive in 2 days, return trip was a different route but similar length. Took about 10 hours.

View attachment DSC_0369.jpg View attachment DSC_0372.jpg View attachment DSC_0378.jpg

We then flew to Casablanca and from their to the eastern city of Nador so we could cross into a Spanish enclave called Melilla.

I will just say the late night, walk across border crossing in developing countries is an interesting experience!

After 1 day there we took the ferry to main land Spain.

All in all a fantastic trip. The people of Morocco were friendly, very helpful and never felt unsafe.

Last edited:

Houndoc

Wow that's a cool trip! What made you choose morrocco and Spain? I half expected this report to be vet related

Was a combined 25th anniversary trip ( a couple weeks early) and research for my wife. She is working on a novel and part of it is based on a late 1770's siege of Melilla by Moroccan forces so she wanted to see the area first hand.

Houndoc

Way cool. More pics of the ancient please, if you have them. :)

View attachment DSC_0117.jpg
I love this shot, taken in Marrakech, in that you have modern life utilizing 900 year old walls and gates. Saw that in much of Morocco. Even in Ksar Ait Ben Haddau (the old city in the original post), which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, you have people living and working.

View attachment DSC_0204.jpg View attachment DSC_0205.jpg

Ancient, but still used, animal pens. Donkeys and horses still very common work animals, included pulling carts of goods or construction supplies in the alleys of Marrakech.

Our driver, a local Berber from the Sahara, said that for many in the desert, size of goat and camel herds are still primary determiners of "wealth".

View attachment DSC_0202.jpg

View attachment DSC_0272.jpg

Houndoc

If we are going to talk old buildings, it is worth jumping to Spain as well.

For those of us in the US, it is hard to imagine 600 year old building still in use. But not the case in much of Europe. We talked to the owner of one of a small performance venue in Seville who explained the building, built in the 1500s, was originally a home.

The Real (as in "royal") Alcazar palace in Seville is the oldest palace in Europe still in use. With origins going back to Moor period, 1200s or so, it is still an official seasonal residence for the Spanish royal family. Much or its current design is from the 1500-1600s. The cathedral in the city was built around that same time and is the 3rd largest in the world.

Some shots of old Spanish construction.

From Melilla (Spanish enclave on the Morocco side):

View attachment DSC_0403.jpg View attachment DSC_0449.jpg View attachment DSC_0469.jpg

From Melilla, we took a ferry to mainland Spain, arriving in Almeria.

Houndoc

The next morning we drove to Sevilla (Seville).

View attachment DSC_0584.jpg View attachment DSC_0591.jpg View attachment DSC_0596.jpg

The church bell tower has an interesting history.

Built on 2000 year old stones (with inscriptions) from the Roman period, it was originally minaret to a Muslim Masque. After the area was retaken by Christians in 1400s (I think...not a history major) the top was replaced to be the bell tower for the cathedral built on the site the masque had occupied. Note the towers design similarities to the minaret in Marrakech.

View attachment DSC_0726.jpg View attachment DSC_0670.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0744.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0742.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

Houndoc

That camel ride/campout sounds wicked cool.

It was. Only down side is the tents felt like trying to sleep in an oven. Would strongly recommend bringing a pad and sleeping out on the sand instead.

June is also a hot time to visit both countries. Had temps around 110 in Marrakech and Seville. Oddly enough it was cooler in the Sahara (roughly 100).