Tripods

Skylinerider

Wandering the desert
So with my new DLSR ordered, I've been looking at tripods. I have no idea what to look for, and prices seem to be all over the place. What do the RME'ers in the photo world use? What would you all recommend?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I don't use a tripod a LOT, but I do like it for some things. I've had two, so I'm far from an expert, but have done well with the mid-size, $70 ones from Inkleys. My first one lasted for 12 years, so I coughed up the $70 again to get the updated model.

There are probably cooler ways to adjust your legs and level your camera on some of the higher end tripods, but I've never had any trouble with either of mine. I think they are Quataray brand. It might be the Hyandai or the Chevy of the tripod world, but it works fine for me.

NoTrax

New Wheels Big Trax
Shooting at night, its a must. Even If I use mine for 5% of my shooting, its very dear to me. I purchased a Manfroto 55prob, with a ball head. very steady, and can also get down low for macro shots (which I still cannot pull off). I'm a a beginner, for the most part but I didn't want something cheap, if I'm going to use it and need to count on it, and it being tough.

I love taking night shots, or lightning shots (not one yet) with a tripod on a timer, or remote. Makes you much more versatile. Also makes your images so much more crisp, if you turn off stabilization and let that baby really sit still.

muleskinner

jruss

I have one I am about to list on KSL.
It is a little old school, but sturdy and light weight. I upgraded to a bigger manfrotto for studio use. PM me if your interested. I just threw some pics here
$50

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
Always been a fan of Bogen and Manfrotto... That said, I LOVE my old school TiltAll. 30+ years on it. I had bought a newer Tiltall with a removable leg to be used as a monopod. But that was stolen about 15 years ago...

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I have a Bogen with a pistol grip ball head. I take it everywhere and love it. Definatey the tripod itself is important, get a good solid one, but the head is really the most important part in my opinion.