Trouble last night

airmanwilliams

Got off work 2 hours late last night and was going home around 2 and I heard a really bad knock in my trans tunnel and had to pull off in Lindon which caused me to inch my way home doing only 20mph to limit the knock. Any ideas what it may be? Only knocks when I press on the gas. This morning while my Sidekick was sitting in my driveway I turned the front driveline 2 times and thats all it would let me turn it. I am going to lift the front end now and try to spin the wheels to see if I hear anything. Sucks that its right now before our trip and that our other sidekick is down and out neon is not insured anymore.

[video]http://vid904.photobucket.com/albums/ac248/bwilliams1985/E1D5CC51-F817-4E59-B73E-02D0FE65D728_zpsgbuiwfj5.mp4[/video]

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I had my drive line blots come loose at the trans once in my samurai, sounded exactly like that. The Ujoint was in a little cradle thing that was bolted to the trans with
?10mm? bolts. They came lose and allowed the cradle to flop back and forth as it spun around.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Narrow it down. Does it do it in the driveway, or only while the truck is rolling? Does it do it when the vehicle is in N, or just when it's in gear?

Kevin B.

Only way I can turn everything is while im driving it. It only makes the noise when im on the gas and not when I let off.

To clarify, it doesn't do it at all while the truck is stationary, just while it's moving and only when you're on the gas, correct? You can park it and rev in idle and it doesn't do it?

Kevin B.

I'm thinking from listening to your clip that the sound is too slow to be motor related, and what you're saying agrees with that.

Any play in the driveshafts? Get down there and wiggle them really good. You can even drop the rear driveshaft and go drive around the block in 4WD, if the sound goes away you've found your problem. If it doesn't, I think you can blame something in your transmission.

airmanwilliams

I wish it had a divorced tcase. I'll install these manual hubs tonight or in the morning once I pick up a stud installer and removal tool and hope it fixes things

airmanwilliams

Well we were wrong. Not the front hubs and not ujoints but the transfercase rear output has a bit of give and I think its that. Oil had a few really small shavings and as I jacked the rear and ran it the yoke wabbles.

Mr. BlueWolfFab stopped by with some jackstands for me to borrow and thought the rear output seemed a bit loose. Looks like ill have to pull it out to the street in the morning and pull the rear driveline out to see if I can see anything in the top of the case.
[video]http://s904.photobucket.com/user/bwilliams1985/media/IMG_0173_zps0ux3mfjk.mp4.html[/video]

airmanwilliams

slip joint. Ill have to put everything back together today and try to move it out of our driveway so I can get my wifes sidekick to the shop today then ill pull the driveline and see if I can find anything in the top of the tcase there where the driveline slides in.