Truck bed liner for flares ?

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I need to get some paint on my Commando's removable metal fender flares. I could smooth them out and paint them with regular paint but thought bed liner would be tougher and hold up better. Does anyone know of a tough bed liner that won't fade to a chalky grey in the sun ? Would shops that apply the stuff even consider doing a small job like this ? I have used some spray on liners for inside my Jeeps (Hippo Liner) but I don't know how they would hold up to the sun. Any thoughts ?

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
We've got a thread on bedliners going somewhere. I rolled Als Liner onto my tonneau last January (I think?) and I'm happy so far. The makers say it's UV stable. Bryson has Raptor on the rockers of his 80, it doesn't look faded either.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
I sprayed Raptor in the tub of my trailer project on Monday. It is UV stable. Adam (BoxRocket) used the same stuff on his trailer like 8 years ago and it still looks good.

I've got to finish up a couple things on my tailgate for the trailer then will be spraying that as well. I don't know how big your flares are but we could probably work something out to spray your flares and my tailgate at the same time. I have one (of four) bottles left of the mix and should be able to easily finish what I need to cover. I would like to buy one or two more bottles to get some better coverage in a few spots but I think its cheaper to buy a whole kit. Also, the third bottle of liner dried enough to the gun that I couldn't unscrew it to clean it up so I'll be picking up another gun as well. ($10)

EDIT: here is the post Kevin mentioned.

Last edited:

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
I sprayed Raptor in the tub of my trailer project on Monday. It is UV stable. Adam (BoxRocket) used the same stuff on his trailer like 8 years ago and it still looks good.

I've got to finish up a couple things on my tailgate for the trailer then will be spraying that as well. I don't know how big your flares are but we could probably work something out to spray your flares and my tailgate at the same time. I have one (of four) bottles left of the mix and should be able to easily finish what I need to cover. I would like to buy one or two more bottles to get some better coverage in a few spots but I think its cheaper to buy a whole kit. Also, the third bottle of liner dried enough to the gun that I couldn't unscrew it to clean it up so I'll be picking up another gun as well. ($10)

EDIT: here is the post Kevin mentioned.

That would be good if there is enough left over. I would need to finish up the prep on the flares for the final smoothing of the welds. As for size here is a link to what they look like:
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.ph...uild-project/page5&highlight=commando+project

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
Last edited:

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
Just ballparking it I'd guess it would take about one bottle to do the flares, maybe a bit more if you want to do the underside of them too. I'm not in a huge hurry to get to my tailgate and probably won't work on it for another couple weeks. I don't have a ton of work to do to finish it up but I need to get some things done in my house. If that works for your timeline let me know and we can go from there.

The packaging says light use after 2-3 days and normal use after 7 so that might be a good thing to consider if you have trip plans.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
Just ballparking it I'd guess it would take about one bottle to do the flares, maybe a bit more if you want to do the underside of them too. I'm not in a huge hurry to get to my tailgate and probably won't work on it for another couple weeks. I don't have a ton of work to do to finish it up but I need to get some things done in my house. If that works for your timeline let me know and we can go from there.

The packaging says light use after 2-3 days and normal use after 7 so that might be a good thing to consider if you have trip plans.

I'm not in a big hurry since the Commando is out at my daughters house since their Jeep is in my garage getting long arms installed.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
The full kit is $128 off amazon and has four bottles in it. We can just split it up for how much gets used so if anyone else has something on the smaller side we should probably have enough to go around.