Tube selection for 4.00x18 trials tire

jentzschman

Been looking for a ultra heavy duty tube for said type tire. The only one that has the same measurements is a standard tube that I have been able to find thus far:
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...Standard-Motorcycle-Tube-With-TR-6-Valve-Stem

My question is will a 100/90x18 (or whatever the corresponding figures) fit a 4.00x18 tire or does the tube have to specifically fit a 4.00x18 tire?

So far, I have been looking primarily on RMATV and I will also be doing my own expanding search, but wanted to also enlisted the knowledge base of RME.

(As a side not if it helps, I am looking to put a 18" wheel on my 99 yz 250 so I can try this magical trials tire I have been hearing so much about.)

sixstringsteve

which trials tire are you getting? I can definitely feel that my pirelli MT43 is a lot harder than my Michelin X11. In my experience, the michelins are grippier and slide less but wear faster.

sixstringsteve

from the reviews page of that RMATV link:

Great for rear Trials Tire on trail bikeWILLIAM in CA
Comments On Oct 01, 2010:
I have used these tubes in trials rear tires on a WR450F and a XR650R for three years. I can run 11-15psi with no pinch flats, ever. Great tube for a trials tire!

B2-Bomber

don't do the pirelli, it is like the IRC, it is a trials tread, without a trials compound. sort of like a man dressed like a hot woman, they might look the same, but once you try to ride on them you will realize the difference

michein x-11 all the way, or dunlop if you prefer.

rholbrook

Once again, Caleb is your source. He set me up with heavy duty tubes and he selected the right ones for me. I dont know what they were but they are great.

jentzschman

don't do the pirelli, it is like the IRC, it is a trials tread, without a trials compound. sort of like a man dressed like a hot woman, they might look the same, but once you try to ride on them you will realize the difference

michein x-11 all the way, or dunlop if you prefer.

The dunlap trials, 4.00x18, is tubeless. Don't you need a special rim to run tubeless tires?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
You can run a tubless trials tire with a tube. The biggest difference is going to be sidewall stiffness. A tube trials tire is going to have a softer sidewall and will give you better traction in most cases. The downside is that the possibility of a pinch flat or sidewall puncture is higher.

B2-Bomber

The dunlap trials, 4.00x18, is tubeless. Don't you need a special rim to run tubeless tires?
for the record, all of the michelins are tubeless too (hence the TL in the designation)

you would need a special rim to run tubeless tires without a tube
we mount tubless tires onto our spoked motorcycle rims, with tubes 20 times a day, every day

the only difference is there is a membrane in the rubber to prevent air molecules from escaping through the pores of the rubber, different from what anderson750 says. there is no noticeable "stiffness" difference. if you could notice the miniscule difference created by the thin membrane, you would really notice the huge stiffness difference of that rock-hard (by comparison) pirelli tire. it has such a hard compound, the pirelli is DOT approved which is a test of how likely the tire is to come apart, the michelin and dunlop are nowhere near DOT approved, this is because they are so friggin' soft,

Last edited:

jentzschman

Great info and I really appreciate the insights, but back to my initial question: :rofl:

Do I need to get a specific 4.00x18 tube? If not, what size is the equivalent? for a 18" wheel?

B2-Bomber

tubes can go up, 25% from their listed size, or they can go waaaaay smaller from their listed size. 4.00" x 25.4mm/inch = 102mm so a 100 works fine, or a 110, or a 120 they all work fine

Last edited:

jentzschman

B2-Bomber

that is the aspect ratio, it is a percentage of the tread width that denotes sidewall height

so 90% of 110 would be a 99mm tall sidewall

the aspect ratio is pretty much moot on tube sizing as a tube is cylindrical, so width, and rim size are the real factors

jentzschman

that is the aspect ratio, it is a percentage of the tread width that denotes sidewall height

so 90% of 110 would be a 99mm tall sidewall

the aspect ratio is pretty much moot on tube sizing as a tube is cylindrical, so width, and rim size are the real factors

Got it. Now it's all coming together.

jentzschman

Well, got a tube and a new dunlop trails tire. Now just need to rim which will be purchased shortly. :D

Thanks for all the feedback and help guys. RME ROCKS!!!!