Tubing out the 'Yota

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Well, I chopped the Top on my truck a few weeks back. Now it's time to make it look like a vehicle again. I'm not done with the Tube, but here's progress pics.

Now that is intimidting! I had Sawzallers-Remorse after I chopped it!-

Untitled-26.jpg

From the Front.-

Untitled-30.jpg

Starting the Halo, checking the dimensions.-

Untitled-31.jpg

Setting up the roof-

Untitled-29.jpg

A and B Pillar tied into the Halo-

Side4.jpg

'X' in the back, ties into the Frame for strenght.-

BackFullView.jpg

The Roof.-

RoofTopView.jpg

Starting on the Bed area.-

BedSide.jpg

As it currently sits.-

FrontFull.jpg

Feel free to critisize my work, but keep in mind that it's not done yet. I still have gussets to add, as well as finish welding everything. As of now, it's all tacked together.

Thanks to RockLogic for a bunch of tube and some bends that I don't have dies for. :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
That weld looks like crap!

Bwahahaha! I'm kidding! It's a joke! Don't hurt me.
I like it. I bet it is intimidating for sure. You are basically doing what I need to do to my Jeep, but I just sold it instead of facing the pain. :D Did you get the engine swap finished?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
wow,,,, and I thought you were almost done.........

I like!!

I see the rear skins against the wall, are they going back on?

Good job Greg

Greg

Admin
Jeremy... the engine isn't running yet, but it's all bolted up. I still need to finish the fuel lines, coolant lines, mounting the elec. fan, and wiring. Shouldn't be too long to get it running.

Shawn... almost done! Not quite. :D I was going to run the bed skins when I had the cab, but have now decided against it. The less sheetmetal, the better.

Greg

Admin
I kept the frame for ease and strenght when setting up the 4 Link & tieing in the Tube work. I could have mounted the Coils to tube, but this keeps it easier. And with a project this large, I need to keep is easier.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
Why did you keep the rear frame?

I see coils, do you need the frame for some reason?
I would guess because he was going to run the bedsides at first.

I am afraid for your head in this pic

Last edited:

Greg

Admin
Hickey said:
...I am afraid for your head in this pic

:rofl:

Well, thanks for the concern. The seats are going to be replaced eventually, with ones that have a headrest. Plus, I'll add a little roll cage padding where it's needed.

I tried to make the roof as low and narrow as possible, and squeezing my 6'4" body in was expected to be a little tight. In reality, I have atleast 4-5" around my head & the tube.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
you closet fabber... :rofl:

it looks nice :cool:

Have you checked it for head room? You are a rather tall man and it looks a littl low, but they are pics and what the hell do I know :-\

grinch

inner city redneck
I like the Half halo concept. I did a full halo on my jeep and it makes for poor headroom.. I really would consider trying a little different crossmember behind the head for now.... Even with padding hitting your head hurts... My down bars are close to my head because of my full halo and every now and again I hit my noggin and its not to fun.....
Looks real good though for a Yota... ;)