Tuono cutting out

Tonkaman

Earlier this week I was riding the bike home from work when it suddenly cut out. I nearly got run over trying to push it off the road through traffic! As soon as I was out of the way I hopped on and it fired right up. This repeated 4 more times over the next mile before I was home. It had the same feeling as running out of fuel. First it chugs a little then cuts right out then it will fire right up. I had already ridden over 20 miles before it acted up, luckily I was so close to home.

Today I took the bike around the block a few times trying to replicate the problem. I didn't want to get too far from home since I was expecting to break down. I also didn't want to hit freeway speed since when it cuts out it puts so much weight up front that it scares the hell out of me. The symptoms I got out of it is hanging RPMs just above idle with light throttle. Under full throttle acceleration it did cut for a split second but only once and it never actually died.

I'm not sure where to start here. I think it could be heat related since the day it happened the bike was on surface streets with the fan running. I also think it could be a fuel issue, maybe a clogged filter that can't handle a heavy load?

Any input here?

Greg

I run a tight ship... wreck
Admin
Start with something easy like the fuel filter. If at higher speeds it cuts out, maybe it's starving for fuel

x2

Fuel filter first, then look into the pump if you're still having problems.

I take the bike is fuel injected? Stock exhaust or aftermarket?

Tonkaman

The fuel filter was my initial thought so I'll try to get one coming. In the mean time I'll check the fuel pump, and ignition connections/grounds.

EDIT: I forgot to say that it is fuel injected. It also has factory installed Akrapovic exhaust and mapping to support it.

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Today I had a chance to pull the fuel tank and drop the fuel pump assembly out. Getting to everything is a total PITA! The good news is I found an obvious problem, lots of gelled up old fuel in the tank. This stuff was like jello beads all over the tank. Luckily once it dries a bit it turns into dust and is easily removed. One of the vent lines is clogged pretty good and the bad part is its molded into the plastic of the tank. I'll have to try reaming it out with some very skinny wire or maybe some heavy fishing line. I have to order in a new filter, scrub out the pump sending unit, then I can re-assemble with high pressure clamps instead of the crimped on clamps from the factory.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434930022.673997.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434930031.520690.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434930037.096486.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434930043.458970.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434930052.028501.jpg

Tonkaman

I got it all cleaned out and running again. I'll admit that I'm still scared to open it up. The thought of it cutting out in a corner freaks me out...

Tonkaman

A day after I posted ^^^ this my bike cut out again and I've been to lazy to pull the fuel pump out of the tank again. I finally got around to it earlier this week and pulled the sending unit apart to find more jello fuel.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456549153.053990.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456549162.456035.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456549171.023903.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1456549177.618616.jpg

After cleaning it all out and blowing out all the fuel lines, the bike purrs lik a kitten now. I almost forgot how much fun this thing is!

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
With how nice the weather has been I'm sure its fun to have the bike as an option but with a brand new rig I'm not sure how much I'd be riding. :)

Greg

Admin
I would highly suggest only fueling up with non-ethanol gas when ever you can, especially if the bike is going to sit for more than 2 weeks. Ethanol separates from the gasoline in a very short amount of time and starts causing those problems you've been having. If you can't find ethanol-free gas, I'd add a stabilizer/ethanol additive as soon as possible.

Ethanol really messes with smaller engines, my KTM 690 Enduro had all kinds of problems with many of them due to ethanol.

Tonkaman

Good advise Greg. Ethanol Free fuel is hard to come by up here. There are s few gas stations around that carry it, but I'm not near them very often, and the tank only takes me about 130 miles.

I actually think most of this jelly fuel came from the gas pump the same day the bike started acting up.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
I would highly suggest only fueling up with non-ethanol gas when ever you can, especially if the bike is going to sit for more than 2 weeks. Ethanol separates from the gasoline in a very short amount of time and starts causing those problems you've been having. If you can't find ethanol-free gas, I'd add a stabilizer/ethanol additive as soon as possible.

Ethanol really messes with smaller engines, my KTM 690 Enduro had all kinds of problems with many of them due to ethanol.

There is an app for finding the ethanol free it is called "Pure gas"

also

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=UT

Tonkaman

Yeah that's a cool recourse. There are only 4 places in the valley and I'm not driving past them too often. I may have to just get in the habit to make trips over to them.

Greg

Admin
Yeah that's a cool recourse. There are only 4 places in the valley and I'm not driving past them too often. I may have to just get in the habit to make trips over to them.

Here's another option, if those ethanol-free gas stations aren't convenient. I keep a couple bottles around and if I have a gas container that I know is going to sit around (for the lawnmower, dirtbike, etc) I'll toss some of this into the tank. - http://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enzyme-Fuel-Treatment/dp/B00U2J9DWK

If you think your problem was from that one fuel up, it would still be a good idea to continue running some kind of gas treatment / EFI & carb cleaner.

When my WR450 carb needed some cleanup & I was feeling lazy, I mixed up a couple gallons of gas with Marvel Mystery Oil and SeaFoam and ran it thru the bike. It worked pretty well and I didn't have to pull the carb off!