two-day mini-vacation ideas -- any suggestions?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
July 4th is one of the few holidays we are closed, so I'll be off work that day. Wednesday is my usual weekly day off work, which means I'll have two consecutive days off next week--a true rarity for me (unless I burn vacation days). I've decided I should use this opportunity and take a quick mini-vacation. It needs to be someplace close, probably within about a 3-hour drive to make it worthwhile. I'd drive there Tuesday morning and arrive in time for lunch, then have that afternoon and evening plus Wednesday morning and afternoon. I'd start the trip back home around 6pm.

Understand: this is NOT a 4WD trip. I'm not looking to film an episode of Dirt Every Day here. This is just a chance to go somewhere, relax a bit, and also see some things that are totally new (or at least uncommon) to me. I was initially thinking of driving the Grand Prix, but after some extra thought I realize that's not the best choice for this trip... so I'll be cruising in the Suburban instead. I'm not looking to camp out, either; I expect this trip will involve an overnight hotel stay.

So, where should I go? After looking at a map, my first choice was Vernal. Why Vernal? For starters, I've never actually been east of Heber City and I think the drive on US 40 ought to be a scenic one. Also, this would give me a chance to venture out to Dinosaur Monument or something along those lines. There are supposedly a few other options in that area--small museums, etc--so I should have no problem coming up with activities for the limited time I'll have.

But I'm open to suggestions. Anything else that I ought to consider? Is there anywhere in the area you think I might want to check out? If so, please speak up.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
We just did great basin national park a couple weeks ago. The cave tour is badass. Make sure you sign up online. It's probably 4ish hours from you. Then 1.5 to ely or back to delta

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
We just did great basin national park a couple weeks ago. The cave tour is badass.

Hmm. I could drive there Tuesday morning, then catch a cave tour (and snoop around the visitor centers) that afternoon. But since Ely is the closest "real" spot for lodging, and it's on the wrong side of the park as far as my trip is concerned, maybe I could instead head SE from there and make a triangular trip out of this.

Anything noteworthy around Beaver or Cedar City?

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
I 2nd Great basin NP. You won't want to leave the cave.
Nice and cool inside.
If your into fishing, Cleveland lake by skyline Dr is great to spend a day at.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Seven

If you go to vernal I recommend going by way of Evanston on your way there. Flaming gorge is beautiful and worth the extra time.

You can rent a raft and go from the dam to little hole. A week ago it took about 1 and 1/2 hours to do. The river is very scenic with some small rapids. Fantasy canyon is also pretty cool south not vernal.