U4WDA March Service Project - 3/17/12 - Little Sahara Sand Dunes

TheBigSgt

Rep Big Horn 4x4
It kicked my ass! I loved it! And most important is that it should help save lives! The staff told me that 2 or more people, mostly kids get killed in that area every year because the fence was so bad! It was covered my dunes, broken down, and riders would get into that area by mistake and the results are tragic. They are going to get some more supplies and what would everybody think of going back?

OutlawTJ

Had a great time. Want to thank Sarge again for trying to tune my CB. And thanks to all that had to pull me out from time to time. I didnt get any pics. By time I thought about taking any the wind was blowing sand everywhere and really didnt want to kill a camera. If anyone has photos please post them or a link.

OLSEN

We definitely need to do this again for a lot of reasons. What say Larry?

Jack,
Yes we do need to do this again , and soon before major heat is a factor. The BLM is very pleased with the work performed, the amount of work, the communication and safety that we accomplished all while the adverse weather was trying to beat us down.
The winning club: I know not right now, as soon as I get the final paperwork from BLM I will put that fact as well as other info together. The 'weather' was not conducive to gathering information at noon and some volunteers were in a different campground.

Pictures: Yes we need pictures from all, the BLM is wanting to put together a scrapbook for themselves. My camera was a victim of something so I have 0 pictures.

sixstringsteve

We got to Little Sahara just as everyone was having lunch.

IMG_2418.JPG

IMG_2417.JPG

IMG_2419.JPG

IMG_2420.JPG

I wish I had chosen the wicked glasses that Brandon chose.
IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

sixstringsteve

It's hard to see in the pics, but the wind was blowing the sand around like crazy. I had never driven in sand before, it was a new experience. I didn't air down, and so I didn't do too well out on the

IMG_2423.JPG

IMG_2424.JPG

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2427.JPG

IMG_2428.JPG

IMG_2432.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

sixstringsteve

I didn't have time to blur out the license plates in those photos. Let me know if you'd like me to do that. Feel free to use any of these pictures.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
Thanks for the pics Steve, I will make you a bet I will recognize you the next time the wind blows.

I did something wrong and lost all my pictures. Steve Edmund's is also a good photographer so I hope he took some.

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Jack, you have nothing to apologize for. 82 years old and you're out building fences in the sandstorm. You're my hero.